What Is The Best Hunting Cartridge To 500 yds.

You would have to wonder why the person putting it together would choose a 168gr bullet for the 280AI, but then choose a 180gr bullet for the 284Win

Magazine limitations? But the 180 out of the .284 being almost the same speed as the 168 .280 AI is a head scratcher. Why would anyone ever choose the .280 AI if that data were correct?

If anything, the short action 284Win favors the 168, while the long action 280AI favors the 180.

But if you wanted to compare CARTRIDGES, you wouldn't you wouldn't let the platform (rifle) be a limiting factor.

And either will run a 180 in a 700LA.

You are a superb shot and very lucky. One gust of wind would have blown your bullet right into its guts and you'd have a disaster on your hands.
Obviously I have practiced shooting this caliber hundreds of times. I have shot it from every position I feel I am capable of shooting weeding out the ones I am not comfortable with. The number one key to any quick kill is bullet placement. But the key to bullet placement is practice, practice, practice. You learn the limitations of the rifle and, I assure you, this was not an off-hand shot. If the area I was hunting was prone to wind gusts I would have been hunting with my 300RUM which I know is better for that type of situation.
I have turned down taking shots I was not sure of making by 50 to 1. Fortunately for me, the person who introduced me into shooting emphasized shot placement was the key to shooting an animal to make a quick kill. If I don't feel that I can do it for the animals sake I never take the shot.

John Polk said I was very lucky making my kill shot on my elk at 878 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Let me assure all of you here that I never make any shots that have to put "luck "into the equation. I shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds practicing long range shooting each year and feel fortunate I have the ability to do it. One should never take any shots at any animal they are not sure of making. It's not fair to the animal and it certainly paints a bad picture for long range shooting. I can't stress this enough to every one of you that hunts. The old saying that "Practice makes perfect " holds true for all shooting sports and you can never over practice in any shooting sport. If you ever feel that you need luck to make your shot, DON'T TAKE IT, PERIOD !

6.5 x284 norma or 264 winmag. Light, Fast, flat and low recoil with a punch.
But I normally carry a 13 lb 338 lapua in the truck for the 1 grand or more.

Allow me to be a little nosey. Where'd ya hit him? Spine?

Seems like a 140gr starting at 2700 fps might have 750 to 800 fpe at that range, I don't shoot one but there are a numbers that do that are available here, "what say them"? would everyone agrees or disagree that the percent of shots on Elk at that range with that type of energy without a vitals hit "would or would not" tip a big Bull over? Or would it have to be a spine of medulla oblongata shot :) just asking, I'm not trying to poke the Bear guys'..., Cheers.

I'll be the odd one out and say

E9AFDBFD-EDB1-49FF-B654-980EC26D96BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 04374ED8-FDC3-4FDB-B019-87DC2F9724A9.jpeg
    04374ED8-FDC3-4FDB-B019-87DC2F9724A9.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Seems like a 140gr starting at 2700 fps might have 750 to 800 fpe at that range, I don't shoot one but there are a numbers that do that are available here, "what say them"? would everyone agrees or disagree that the percent of shots on Elk at that range with that type of energy without a vitals hit "would or would not" tip a big Bull over? Or would it have to be a spine of medulla oblongata shot :) just asking, I'm not trying to poke the Bear guys'..., Cheers.
This is the reason I seldom discuss anything on this forum anymore. So many know-it-all experts sitting on their computers chasing statistics they can use to imply that they have expertise in long range shooting.
One of you idiotically quoted the my bullet speed. The other quotes the shot placement I had to make. Maybe you need to learn about how barrel length changes muzzle velocities and how long was the barrel of the rifle in the quoted load? Also what altitude? So many variances from what you think you know just tells a person like me who has shot long range shots for years before you were born that you are a wannabe forum hugger, not a knowledgeable long range shooting expert!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.