What is the best big 30 cal, and why?

Black Diamond 408

I have a customer that is fixsated on building a fast 30 cal, he is looking at the Lazzeroni. What are your thoughts on this or other wildcats? What kind of balistics do you get out of your hot rod?

If he just wants a flamethrower, get a 30 Wolf.

If he want something a little more practical, a 300 RUM or 300 Tomahawk.

+1 on the 300 Wolf - I have shot more than one, and its hard to top a 1/4 MOA CANNON!

Why? 210 VLD's at 3300 fps. 180 gr. 3550 fps. 10 firings out of 1 piece of brass without having to anneal necks. Dies that load ammo so straight, my runout needle hardly moves.

Most big 30's that shoot inside 1/4 MOA are on huge benchrest style stocks and lack some level of portability.

The 300 Wolf can be built as light as 14 lbs, or as heavy as 22 lbs. and they all shoot lights out.

The brakes are nothing short of a miracle.

You have to shoot a cannon off a bipod without one to understand the reality of the above comment.

They have been built on more actions than any other, and the machine work is perfect. Well sorted, proven, and portable 2000 yard Killer off a bipod, no less.

The guy that builds them gives a half day clinic on how to load and shoot the 300 Wolf as part of the price, so you get a better shooter thrown in for free. He will even tune a load up for your Wolf while your there, if you want, and teach you how to do it.

Not many guys can make your other rifles shoot better just by building you a big 300. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If it were me, I'd ask for a 'Carbon Copy' of that one,

right down there V
V
V
V

341208.JPG

I don't know anything about the "30 Wolf" I do know quite a bit about 30-378 weatherby with a 28 inch barrel and 2 inch brake.

They are @120 grain max powder capacity. So they are in the flame thrower class. The brass is @ $42.00 per box of 20. They seem to last through several reloads without a problem. Except for the ones I ruined the primer pockets by overloading.

IMO - The speed could only be upped by maybe using a 30-32 inch barrel.

I was also down buying brass one day and for the same cost I could get 338-378. That might be the caliber to get. Then you could go for the 300 grain .338 and really have a chance at true one mile shots.

Another word of advice is get a quality brake. Any gun that is approaching 5000 foot pounds has plenty of recoil. The sub 200 grain are OK, but the 220 & 240's ware me out at the range.

30 wolf info

Try the above link. First time doing that. So if it doesn't work do a search ("30Wolf") that goes back 4 years in B,B,B and look for author STL. A lot of discussion (14 pages) on this one.

If it weren't for the fact that doing this would cost me more money than my budget allows, I would go with the 30 Wolf and wouldn't look back. However, what I've done instead is make the 300 RUMBO. A very blown out, short-necked 300 RUM case. Just got the reamer and it'll take me a while to get the whole thing finished.

300 RUMBO chamber reamer drawing for drawing that is very close to what the reamer is. Only difference is that we (PTG-Dave Kiff) made the shoulder .539 instead of .541 at the last minute.

jmden

New project! Gonna neck my thermos jug down to a phonograph needle! Shoots at 12,000 fps! Barrel life=15 rounds!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The 30 Wolf Is the way to go. Mine was just completed and will post groups tomorrow. I have shot them in the past and that is one of the many reasons I chose to go with it. You can get up to 8 firings out of the Lapua brass as compared to 3-4 with the RUM or Weatherby or Lazzeroni. As much as i DETEST case prep that was a big plus. As far a being a barrel burner you can ruin a barrel on a hot day by shooting rapid fire and not allowing adequate cooling. I have a friend who has over 5000 rounds through his and still shoots below 1/2 MOA.

Will post groups tomorrow

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.