What is better than the Weatherby?

Having personally owned a couple of Weatherby's, as well as having buddies that own them as well, IMO, the attraction had more to do with the "mystique" revolving around the combination of aesthetics, design, and proprietary cartridges. It wore off with me in rather short order finding alternatives that were better suited to my particular tastes. I have buddies that swear by them to this day. As with most aspects of our sport, personal preference often dictates one view of the "best"....a subjective term. If results count, I can't say I did any better or worse in the field with my 300 Weatherby's then I have done with the alternative 300 magnum rifles I have owned. IMO.

Out to 600yards a .308 shooting 180's is as effective as a 300 WBY shooting 210's.

Now if we are talking a true long range hunting rifle (to me means 1K or more) I would go with a 28 Nosler shooting 195 Bergers, that combo would be hard to beat for a hunting rifle.

My issue with the 300 WBY or any of the big 30.'s is, if your going to put up with those huge muzzle blasts/ recoil why not just go with a big .338 like the RUM, Edge, Lapua, and all. I don't like either anymore (I've owned about all of them), thus I don't shoot anything bigger than a 7WSM that gets me to an easily effect 1K gun. Just IMO.

A.e
That darn 300 WSM is a excellent one! Taking game isn't rocket science a good bullet in a good place and you're golden.

Knowing when to shoot, where to shoot it and hitting it in the right place is way more than important than head stamps.....amen

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
I shot the 270 Weatherby in a Blaser frame most accurate rifle I've ever owned I was shooting the Barnes 145 gn lrx but I felt my son should have that gun so he can shoot long-range hunts while he is still young to do them, right. Deep down inside I always wanted the 300 Weatherby so best move I made on both counts. I have the best long-range Hunting gun now it too is on a blaser frame and is very accurate but the larger bullets actually perform better. I now shoot the Barnes 175 gn and the 200 grain Barnes lrx with IMR7977 powder both are great Hunting rounds, the 175 gn too a nice Muley at 600 yards. Unless you have a barrel with a 1/8 twist the Barnes 212gn won't shoot in your 1/10 twist barrel.

I do believe that the 30-378 Weatherby is going to give the 300 some competition it looks like another Weatherby round I would like to try. I have a .240 Weatherby also a great varmint rifle and for whitetails, we will see.

I purchased my first Weatherby Vanguard Range Certified in 30-06 to replace a Sako 30-06 I got brand new in 68-69. I'm thoroughly pleased with it. Tightest 4 shot group .221 but generally groups average just under 1/2 inch @ 100yds. I'd second a Weatherby.

I have three of them and 80% of my hunting has been done with a .300 MkV Wby that I bought back in the 1980s. That said, it isn't perfect, and other calibers have attractive characteristics too.

YMMV, but for me, the .300 Wby took a bit of work to master. Everyone has different recoil tolerance but it took me many years to learn to actually shoot it well. Before I went to Africa the first time I dedicated a winter to learning how to shoot it and put several hundred rounds down the tube. For me, personally, it's the upper limit of what I can shoot comfortably without flinching. The single biggest drawback of the 'bee is the recoil. As others have said I have zero, ZERO interest in shooting with a break. The muzzle blast is as noxious as the recoil, and even worse for people standing next to you. I've already lost a bunch of hearing from shooting. The round isn't particularly efficient and requires copious amounts of powder to generate the velocity it does. The huge freebore of the MkV is counter to what most people would design for accuracy (but mine is a genuine 1/2 MOA shooter with 180 TTSX). As you say, it's perfect for elk to 600. The Barnes do tend to foul a barrel, so there's always that to fight. In a match barrel, that would probably improve.

Weatherby magnums tend to have a poor reputation with outfitters (worse before than today) and I just don't think most people shoot them well. A shot from a canon through the guts or a hind leg is still a problem. Most people are better served something in the .270 or 30-06 class. My PH in Africa carries a .308 as his daily medicine for the occasional lion and leopard and does not consider himself to be under-gunned.

When I decided to have a custom build, I went with .300 Win. It's easier to true up the action, easier to fine tune, easy to find brass, slightly slower, and I built it with an Ultra 5 Thunder Beast can. It's an absolute joy to shoot, it's a reliable 0.300" shooter, and it's my new go-to gun with 190 HVLDs. I'm comfortable on elk to 800, deer to 600, and steel out to 1000.

YMMV.

I purchased my first Weatherby Vanguard Range Certified in 30-06 to replace a Sako 30-06 I got brand new in 68-69. I'm thoroughly pleased with it. Tightest 4 shot group .221 but generally groups average just under 1/2 inch @ 100yds. I'd second a Weatherby.
That's from a controlled environment that the range has; rock steady bench, sandbag/backpack support or metal bench rest. How is our accuracy really in the field? In Texas we shoot mostly from a blind so we have a solid window sill to shoot from.

How about when we shoot using a backpack, tree limb or shooting sticks for a rest from a sitting or standing position? How good are we then? That MOA or 1/4 MOA at 100 yards means nothing in the field.

I've had it easy for years shooting from an elevated and ground level heavy fiberglass blind. I know I'd never be as accurate steadying the rifle from a tripod sticks from a sitting or standing position because I have never practiced that way.

I guess I have a new challenge in front of me.

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
Just a thought here from a veteran 300 Weatherby Mark V owner.....if 300 ( hate to use the word here) WINCHESTER's are being shot accurately to 1000-1760 yards now....I would put the other HALF OF THE POWDER in yours now...and give it another try!

Just a thought here from a veteran 300 Weatherby Mark V owner.....if 300 ( hate to use the word here) WINCHESTER's are being shot accurately to 1000-1760 yards now....I would put the other HALF OF THE POWDER in yours now...and give it another try!
600 yards is plenty long enough. And at a mere 400 the Weatherby round with a 210 grain bullet is frikin' LEATHAL.

That's from a controlled environment that the range has; rock steady bench, sandbag/backpack support or metal bench rest. How is our accuracy really in the field? In Texas we shoot mostly from a blind so we have a solid window sill to shoot from.

How about when we shoot using a backpack, tree limb or shooting sticks for a rest from a sitting or standing position? How good are we then? That MOA or 1/4 MOA at 100 yards means nothing in the field.

I've had it easy for years shooting from an elevated and ground level heavy fiberglass blind. I know I'd never be as accurate steadying the rifle from a tripod sticks from a sitting or standing position because I have never practiced that way.

I guess I have a new challenge in front of me.
Actually....a 1/4 moa means more in the field to me than it does to that piece of paper! I can be confident that my gun can do its job....the rest is up to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.