60* or 90*, preference? One better than the other?

Darryle

I am building 2 new rifles and I have gotten to really like the Kratos Lite.

Is there any real benefit of a 60* bolt besides scope clearance over a traditional 90* bolt?

I have a couple of Browning X-Bolt rifles and I like the bolt lift on them. I also have a build around a Defiance Anti and I really like it too, although I don't know exactly what degree the bolt lift is.

If there is no draw backs to a 60* bolt, I will order the action as soon as funds become available, possibly next week.

Thanks

I am building 2 new rifles and I have gotten to really like the Kratos Lite.

Is there any real benefit of a 60* bolt besides scope clearance over a traditional 90* bolt?

I have a couple of Browning X-Bolt rifles and I like the bolt lift on them. I also have a build around a Defiance Anti and I really like it too, although I don't know exactly what degree the bolt lift is.

If there is no draw backs to a 60* bolt, I will order the action as soon as funds become available, possibly next week.

Thanks
90 degree bolt will have more mechanical extraction camming action then a 60 degree so if your using a chambering that has a minimum body taper case, this can be critical for good extraction.

scope clearance these days is really not an issue with any modern 90 degree bolt.

looking at the actual receiver strength, the three lug design makes the actual receiver strength an issue. I have seen several browning rifles that smiths have clamped to hard in receiver wrenches crack at the very bottom of the front ring because of the thin steel caused by the bottom bolt lug way.

for me it comes down to the mechanical extraction camming stroke and there is no comparision between the two. For big cartridges with lots of case baring surface to the chamber, 90 is always my choice. When i designed my Raptor receiver it was always a 90.

90 degree bolt will have more mechanical extraction camming action then a 60 degree
Not to mention the actual force of bolt lift for equal pin fall will be much lighter in the 90° without sacrificing ignition spring rate, as the cocking cam on the bolt body is steeper for the same linear pin travel on a 60° than a 90°. This makes it much easier to not violate NPA during the bolt cycle.

These reasons among many others, is why I only recommend 90° actions such as Lone Peak Fuzion and BAT TR fully integral and nitrided actions.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

scope clearance these days is really not an issue with any modern 90 degree bolt.

This is not always the case. I still had plenty of room to go lower if the bolt handle would allow. I sold this rifle rather than spend money swapping stocks or adding an adjustable comb.

0DB3E893-2D5F-4A56-AFC9-D9D818035677.jpeg
F6DDEA02-884F-407B-B21D-28E04311FAFB.jpeg

I believe Defiance has addressed this issue with a slight redesign.

Properly designed 90 degree actions do not exhibit the above problem, even on a 44mm objective mounted as low as a pic rail will allow with normal eye relief.

Still, I consider an adjustable cheek required equipment for this and a host of other reasons.

This is not always the case. I still had plenty of room to go lower if the bolt handle would allow. I sold this rifle rather than spend money swapping stocks or adding an adjustable comb.

View attachment 383572View attachment 383573

I believe Defiance has addressed this issue with a slight redesign.
Dont shoot leicas, maybe that why i have not seen any issues. Generally shoot top end Vortex or NF.

Properly designed 90 degree actions do not exhibit the above problem, even on a 44mm objective mounted as low as a pic rail will allow with normal eye relief.

Still, I consider an adjustable cheek required equipment for this and a host of other reasons.
What is properly designed? I don't believe an action manf can account for every scenario of scope, stock, eye relief, height combination.

What is properly designed?

Properly designed is this Lone Peak Fuzion
MlwCFKZh.jpg

And this BAT Tactical
DxfifZTh.jpg

And this Surgeon 591
1v0VJplh.jpg

And this Defiance Deviant
Zvfv01Ih.jpg

I don't use Defiance, but this Deviant proves that they know about this, and know how to do it. I don't have an impact barreled up at the moment, but it too clears most everything.

Do you see the feature they all share in common? Shape of the handle and position of the knob is everything. So yes, actions can easily be designed to work with any reasonable scope/ring configuration.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate