60* or 90*, preference? One better than the other?

All I ever concerned myself with is scope clearance. JMO
I am building 2 new rifles and I have gotten to really like the Kratos Lite.

Is there any real benefit of a 60* bolt besides scope clearance over a traditional 90* bolt?

I have a couple of Browning X-Bolt rifles and I like the bolt lift on them. I also have a build around a Defiance Anti and I really like it too, although I don't know exactly what degree the bolt lift is.

If there is no draw backs to a 60* bolt, I will order the action as soon as funds become available, possibly next week.

Thanks

Properly designed is this Lone Peak Fuzion
MlwCFKZh.jpg

And this BAT Tactical
DxfifZTh.jpg

And this Surgeon 591
1v0VJplh.jpg

And this Defiance Deviant
Zvfv01Ih.jpg

I don't use Defiance, but this Deviant proves that they know about this, and know how to do it. I don't have an impact barreled up at the moment, but it too clears most everything.

Do you see the feature they all share in common? Shape of the handle and position of the knob is everything. So yes, actions can easily be designed to work with any reasonable scope/ring configuration.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

What height rings on those? Anything pictured in lows?

I agree that stock design and selection pay a huge part in this equation. That pictured rifle of mine proves that stock, action, rings and scope have to be synced or there will be issues.

I don't like high rings, I prefer compact and as low as possible to give me a good cheek weld.

FTR: I had a Swarovski, Leupold and Vortex on that rifle prior to the Leica and they all exhibited the same issue.

Anything pictured in lows?

I agree that stock design and selection pay a huge part in this equation. That pictured rifle of mine proves that stock, action, rings and scope have to be synced or there will be issues.
The lone peak has lows, and I think the defiance does too.

The objective bell and turret housing are the most common reasons why you can't run lower. Barrel contour also plays a huge factor, then there's sloped rails which tend to help out on the back end but hurt on the front end. You can forget about running lows on some barrel contours. A #5 or medium palma is about as chunky as you can run lows on most scopes these days, but that depends on the rail thickness on your action too.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Raise the scope height with cheek riser as needed - old school was low as possible but try it - you may find it much more comfortable instead of bending neck way down and gets butt down where it should be to minimize muzzle rise.

Gosh.....I'm sure thankful that no one explained to good Ol' Roy Weatherby....that my .460 lefthanded magnum would have worked better with the awkward more efficient 90* bolt! Also my other 5 Mark Vs.....sure do love the shorter 54* bolts! Just me....(and the way they so smoothly remove the larger magnum casings)

Raise the scope height with cheek riser as needed - old school was low as possible but try it - you may find it much more comfortable instead of bending neck way down and gets butt down where it should be to minimize muzzle rise.
To anyone here that hasn't seen it....look up You Tubes...." MDT...WORLDS TALLEST SCOPE MOUNT" You may find the results quite surprising!

Some people don't want a cheek riser for a hunting rifle. Example I would rarely use Orkan rifles for a hunt of mine. Too big and bulky. Try cramming one of those oars in a rifle scabbard on a horse and not get hung up. A proper length of pull and stock design work just fine here.
What it comes down to is defiance screwed up those actions and should have never released them into public.

3 lugs are nice for giving hand more room
All this hard to lift stuff is irrelevant to me.
I have some three lugs that are easier to lift and chamber a round than a 2 lugs.
2 lugs - The only problem I've had is my kids didn't lift a 90 degree bolt all the way up to cycle the round because they had their fingers incorrect and fingers jammed between the scope and bolt.

Last edited:
I personally like 60 degree over 90 degrees. I don't notice any harder bolt lift with my 60 vs a 90, matter of fact I can operate the bolt faster than my buddys with their 90 degree. I am not sure what people mean by 60 have a harder bolt lift I don't notice, and my point of impact doesn't seem to be affected.

I think action quality and smoothness trumps bolt throw angle. If I have a smooth and well manufactured action, I don't really care one way or another as far as shootability is concerned. Any number or lug design is also somewhat moot if they were manufactured correctly. I love my Bighorn/Zermatt arms actions, but the Mark V is one of the coolest production actions I have ever played around with. They both shoot great because they are both quality, it is simply two different ways to skin a cat.

I will say that 90's have a bit less chance of being inadvertently unlocked while being slung/packed. This can obviously be avoided with a little extra care or bungee tether.

I prefer 60 deg. bolt throw and have that in both my RUGER Precision Rifle and Browning X-Bolt Pro.

My 1st 90 deg. bolt acton rifle was an El Cheapo .308 Remington 700 actioned carbine with a blind magazine and a laminated stock (3 laminations!)
My next was stainless .300 Win. mag. Remington 700 that I sent to HS Precision for their stainless target barrel and M24 style stock. (Still got it but getting ready to sell it.)

After that was my 1st 3 lug action in a .300 Win mag. Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. I loved that rifle for its high quality and amazing accuracy I could get with good factory ammo and the BOSS micrometer-type adjustable muzzle brake - and a BURRIS Black Diamond scope.

Some people don't want a cheek riser for a hunting rifle. Example I would rarely use Orkan rifles for a hunt of mine. Too big and bulky. Try cramming one of those oars in a rifle scabbard on a horse and not get hung up. A proper length of pull and stock design work just fine here.
What it comes down to is defiance screwed up those actions and should have never released them into public.

3 lugs are nice for giving hand more room
All this hard to lift stuff is irrelevant to me.
I have some three lugs that are easier to lift and chamber a round than a 2 lugs.
2 lugs - The only problem I've had is my kids didn't lift a 90 degree bolt all the way up to cycle the round because they had their fingers incorrect and fingers jammed between the scope and bolt.
And Mark V's have NINE LUGS...I can't imagine how I work that bolt....without a HAMMER! Some folks thinking ( certainly not reasoning) astounds me!!