60* or 90*, preference? One better than the other?

300PRC… normally I'm a big fan of pictures and I do appreciate your pictures that you added to your post. However, I have no idea what it is I'm supposed to be seeing in each picture. I obviously know what each item or component is i.e. bolt handle, tang, bolt release etc. but other than the obvious what is it are you pointing out? Really want to know/learn.

300PRC… normally I'm a big fan of pictures and I do appreciate your pictures that you added to your post. However, I have no idea what it is I'm supposed to be seeing in each picture. I obviously know what each item or component is i.e. bolt handle, tang, bolt release etc. but other than the obvious what is it are you pointing out? Really want to know/learn.
No problem. Most of the pics I am showing reference to bolt handle and bolt comparison to Darryle's inquiry.(post #63) that changed the topic some.
The other highlighted/circled parts like the tang and bolt stop were items I was going to address this morning but wasn't able to yet. So I understand the confusion there. Hopefully later tonight I'll get explained.

Action body*
Just my opinion here as I address my likes and dislikes with current actions.
Like I said before I am a detail freak it's partly what I do for a living.
I'm going to pick on some actions here and please don't take offense.
The craze for the last few years has been lightweight and I hate where it is going.

Example: Pierce new shadow, in my opinion its ugly and creates a lot of places for dirt/dust etc to fill all those cutouts. Defiance Anti-x is same. I do not want to use a q-tip after a hunt. I hate all the bolt/action body cutouts. For their bolt handle I'd like to see them on the underside where dirt wouldn't trap. Also, I would like to model up their action and the anti-x to run stress/load tests. Like many others out there the lightweight generally comes at a cost. They aren't the only ones. Some of these complaints are only model specific.
I prefer the action body to be not cut near or below the center line of action. ( see amazing pic below).
I feel it substantially weakens body. I prefer a body more like defiance deviant hunter, bat vampire or many others that keep the meat.

Blind holes: I like them much more. Pierces rear tang is blind like a few others out there. This goes for bolt stops. I like a screw on the underside instead of a complete hole with pin to hold bolt stop. Mainly cosmetic but keeps dirt out long term.
Bat machine vampire is spot on for me adding more material below for screws. Helps with bedding also.

Integrated recoil lug: it's a must. I know that each manufactures has its budget model. But it's got to have it now for me.
Integrated pic rail: with cut out is my preference unless you can mount rings to action body.
I don't like the tactical look for hunting rigs as much but it eliminates potential variables for inaccuracy.
Bolt stop/shrouds: a few spend a little extra time machining the stop itself for grip and chamfer edges, extra steps cost time/money. Surgeon builds up around it and machines. I like little details that set actions apart other than a tight tolerance pipe with a bolt.
I like shrouds to not look like a factory Remington you are buying a custom make it look like it.
Clean lines: many actions are loosing this. Actions for a classic hunter look are getting to be a thing of the past. I still like Dakota arms/Parkwest, coopers type actions.
No tooling marks : there is zero reason. I'm not going to single out them.
You get the point. This was to answer Darryle post about customs comparisons. There are lots more but these are some of mine.

Attachments

• 08D83439-556C-442D-966D-DAC34E7E175D.jpeg
    08D83439-556C-442D-966D-DAC34E7E175D.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 45
  • 6CC25F8C-B734-4E8C-9A78-2F015B8DE353.jpeg
    6CC25F8C-B734-4E8C-9A78-2F015B8DE353.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 47F83FF5-415A-419F-A132-9019ED4A2CD4.jpeg
    47F83FF5-415A-419F-A132-9019ED4A2CD4.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 45
  • BA251643-CE72-471F-8273-97435FACAEDB.jpeg
    BA251643-CE72-471F-8273-97435FACAEDB.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46
  • CE05505C-1FC6-4BC4-AABC-B26E1085F036.jpeg
    CE05505C-1FC6-4BC4-AABC-B26E1085F036.jpeg
    983.3 KB · Views: 47
  • C6D949DB-F9DA-450A-B522-5A6724A426F5.jpeg
    C6D949DB-F9DA-450A-B522-5A6724A426F5.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Good points made…and yea, I dont like the q-tip cleaning either. Which make/model action would you recommend that checks all your boxes?
None check all the boxes. But, bat, terminus, pierce standard or Ti non shadow version.
I'll probably build my own one of these days.
Bats vampire thinks outside the box it might be that one. I'm not sure what to try next. Pricing usually plays a part into all this and I get good deals on certain ones so I don't venture out as much. I really think there are a ton of good options. I might even lean toward a Dakota arms type rifle, or Parkwest style with a fancy stock that if I fell I'd be p issed. 😉

I'd like to see pierces integrated lug with pic rail I think they are doing. Their site need updated

Last edited:
I'll pull out a Qtip if I can save some weight. I'm a sucker for beautiful actions.
There a few actions out there that weigh less or similar without milling out places to trap debris.
Titanium has been harder to get so I assume many changed build styles/materials. Gotta love Russia. Personally I feel it weakens them in some areas I would prefer not to be.