What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

I've been a fan of the San Mai steels from Cold Steel for some time. I have a Master hunter from them that works quite well (I just picked up a SRK this year that promises to be a hoot)(both San Mai). Even the carbon steel knives they produce seem to last at least a couple of critters before they need to be touched up. I usually have a Cold steel on my belt and a Spyderco riding on my pocket when hunting. I'll have a Leatherman close by too.
400 series stainless simply isn't up to the performance that some of the newer blade steels can muster. I have a few of the old Buck knives and such in 400 series steel, but they don't get to come out and play anymore. The higher price of some of the better steel is justified imo..

https://www.cutco.com/p/drop-point-knife

Cutco has the market around here. Choice of drop point or gut hook. Serrated or straight edge. Haven't heard in the last year but used to be if you can't sharpen a knife they sharpen it for free or just a small fee if you send it back to them. Rubber feeling to the handle so it handles good when cleaning and field dressing. Great price point for something that lasts and holds a good edge.

Christmas is coming fast, and want to get some of the amazing men in my life a really good hunting knife.
Open to any recommendations, not looking for folding knives.
Benchmade
image.jpg

I guess the question comes down to are you look going for great, easy functional cutting knives or more of a higher end custom knife.

In the middle ground….I think Old Timer's made in the USA are gone. Buck makes some nice knives made in the USA. There are others. I forget. I like made in the USA, S30V, fixed blade, a straight gentle curve edge shape that is easy to sharpen.

Trying out the Outdoor Edge DuckDuo. Double knife sheath.
Razor sharp, thin and stiff double pack with duck head finger hook handle and sharp sawtooth backbone.
Handle is kinda small if you have very large hands but gives a good feel of control for skinning and carving.
Haven't tried it yet but taking it out next week.

Rolled for years with this Demascus steel knife my buddy made for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
McCrosky Custom knives are simply unbelievable! I skinned and cut up 8 deer before it needed a touch up!
You can forget having to "touch up" a McCrosky Knife when skinning and cutting up a couple of elk. Their Elk Skinner is the only knife you will ever need for deer, elk, and hogs.

After using one of their knives, you will realize just how much junk you have owned in your life, including German knives! I am not affiliated with McCrosky knives, I just use them.

A friend who was a trapper skinned over 300 beavers before he had to touch up his trapper set of McCrosky knives.

Really there are thousands of great choices but it comes down to budget and availability.
I have a semi custom from L.T. Wright made of 01 tool steel that I carry when I'm in a situation that it may have to be used to accomplish bushcraft type chores as much as game processing. It's abuse proof.

My other common choice that holds a better edge, but I'd rather not be hard on it is a Bark River with a CPM3v blade. As mentioned above by others, the Benchmade Bushcrafter, Anonimus, or a Steep Country are very good quality production knives that are generally available.

I use a Bradford, Benchmade, New West knifeworks, knives of Alaska.
The one I use the most is a 5" curved blade semi flexible boning knife, probably not the Christmas gift that would hold the memories but definitely my workhorse. If I were giving a knife as a gift I would look to the New West Knifeworks

Christmas is coming fast, and want to get some of the amazing men in my life a really good hunting knife.
Open to any recommendations, not looking for folding knives.
I guess it depends on your budget. I am sure they would appreciate whatever you decide to get them. The thought and the spirit of giving are what matters.

I have tried the nice, store bought knives for the first few years of my hunting life.
However now, like my rifles, I look for good custom knives. A little more $175-$275 depending.
But i have found they stay sharp longer, and are great quality to show and use.
Campfire usally has some nice custom knife sellers on the site.