What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

As you can see by the responses there are a number of great knives out there. Knives should last a lifetime if cared for appropriately. I still carry a Buck I bought almost 50 years ago. Most of my other knives were gifted to me by friends over the years. I cherish each one not for their capabilities, but for the thought those friends put into the gift. The last knife I received was when I retired. It was was a Brothers of Bushcraft by Top Knives.
IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_1136.jpegIMG_0135.png

Here are the last few I made, I do it as a hobby and give them as gifts. Esee makes a good knife and I have a couple. The handles are as important to me as the steel. Burl, deer antler, kudu and wart hog tusk in that order. Tanto is San Mai. They are forge shaped on an anvil, all done the old fashioned way with a hammer.

I can highly recommend Randall, Treeman knives, Behring made knives, and zero tolerance knives. There are so many great knives and makers out there. Go with an American handmade/forged maker that has a good reputation and has a blade that appeals to you for you desired purpose and remember, you can have more than one! Good luck on finding the "right one"

I really like the Knives of Alaska products. They have served me well, hold an edge and offer packs with multiple types of knives (skinning, boneing, capeing) for a good value. They go with me on most hunts. That being said, if it is a waterfowl or deer hunt, a replaceable blade outdoor edge is in the pack. Small, light and always sharp!

@Small Lady

A little diversion from your request. Most of guys I shoot and hunt with here TX already have their favorite knives. But, a great number of them don't have a saw in their pack.

If the guys in your life are into breaking through the pelvic bone and the chest, this little guy works very well. Typical Japanese product, it is made very well.

Silky Professional Series PocketBoy Curved Blade Folding Saw 130mm Large Teeth (726-13) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z3KKSR/

I use just at a case sod buster used it since I was 10 years old for everything thing. I sharpened it like I was taught by my grandfather flat on stone easy to
Re-sharpen over and over again I have shaved out there in the bush with it too. But they going up in price. I bought my first at 5 dollars. I went to get one for my grandson 3 days ago their 89.99 now for same knife I hope it rusts like mind.