What I'm Taking on a Solo Elk Hunt

C gent,

I looked at that bino harness and, nice as it is, it's just too much extra weight for backpacking. I use my Bushnell padded neck strap and clip my pack's sternum strap over the bino straps to hold it in place but still readily useable. The sternum strap is elasticized so I can bring my binos up easily.

The idea is to have items (like the sternum strap) do double duty whenever possible.
As suggested above, using your clothes inside a stuff sack for a pillow is another example of this principle.

I think most backpackers use bino harnesses these days, the strap is old technology even if you keep your binos from flapping around with your sternum strap. As far as it being to heavy I disagree. It is mere ounces that you wear and you never notice the weight. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how light your gear is because meat isn't light and the human body can only carry so much. (100 to 120 LBS.) The key in my opinion is to be in great shape and own great gear to get the job done.

The ultra light bino strap Len & Andy sell at the LRH Store (Optics :: Ultra-Light Bino Harness - Long Range Hunting Supplies) is an excellent option for hunters wanting a bio harness. It works well as a "usual" bono harness, but also offers MANY other carrying options.

I just used mine both at a hunting / shooting class in Oregon and a recent pronghorn hunt. I'm a traditional strap guy and this even offers there options for that kind of carry.

I can HIGHLY recommend it for the bino carrying hunter. I watched Len use his for camera carry at NTO shooting school and that makes me want to try it with my camera set up.

I'll be getting another couple of them for my wife to use and to try with my camera.

Good option for super ultra light bio carrying system.

I do like the harness and I'm sure it spreads out the weight of a camera or binocular but... I watch every ounce.

If I had a spike camp that I could ride to on horseback or ATV I'd take that harness B/C I'd only be hunting with a day pack.

But my situation is that I must carry every bit of gear for 4 to 5 days. That's a light solo tent (Moment DW), Western Mountaineering down bag, Thermarest mattress, light one burner canister stove, food, etc. plus scoped rifle and game dressing gear including a foldable bone saw and meat bags. Plus I'm a geezer. :)

IIWY would ditch the tripod. No need with 10x binoculars.

10X binoculars are much better on a tripod than holding free hand. However I wouldn't take them either for a cow elk hunt. But if was judging antlers no way would I leave them behind, especially if for mule deer hunting.

The idea is to have items (like the sternum strap) do double duty whenever possible.
As suggested above, using your clothes inside a stuff sack for a pillow is another example of this principle.

I sleep in my clothing. Sleeping in my clothes allows me to carry a lighter weight sleeping bag. The pillow weighs 2.4 ounces. I save more than that with being able to carry a lighter sleeping bag.

So far, I really like the bino harness. Allowed me to keep the binos on my chest, but they didn't flop around. Quickly accessible when I needed them.

Just got back from 3 days of scouting the area.

Hiked in about 6 miles and 1000 feet, and set up camp. Then headed out with a day pack and went looking for elk and elk sign. Going back next week to do some real hunting. Had heat, wind, rain, sleet, hail, and snow. Gear seemed to perform pretty well.

The area doesn't lend itself to long range hunting. It's heavily forested, with widely spaced trees and lots of forage under the cover of the tree canopy. The elk seem to be staying tucked into the forest. Looks like it will be mostly short range stalking and ambushing. Carrying my heavy precision rifle seems like a waste when the longest shot I'm likely to take will be 100 yards, but it's the only one I've got, so I guess I will just suck it up and carry the extra weight.

1000 or 10,000? The elk in OR will feed almost exclusively in the woods on mushrooms once the moisture hits and brings the mushrooms up. Find the mushrooms, find the elk.

I was at 11,000+ feet. (gained about 1000 from the trail head)

Lots of mushrooms in the woods.

(I didn't know that elk ate them.)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'll be in very mountainous terrain and likely will hunt in the 8,000 to 9,000 ft. elevations. Also some of it has been burned over which means getting dirty even if I try to stay off burned wood. Just hope I can find a nice little calf.

If I don't connect with an elk I can go a bit south to the Ruby Mountains for a buck mule deer. Two tags are nice. but if I get the elk I'm heading home. :eek:)

Nice gear, love the rifle (drool) and Eberlestock pack.

+ Add:
tourniquet
disposable gloves for dressing out elk
folding bone saw
plastic sheet ground cover for tent
meat sacks
whistle
a couple of chem lights
old school compass

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you, what's your general physical condition and weight?

I like your load out, good luck and have fun.

DocB

Nice gear, love the rifle (drool) and Eberlestock pack.

+ Add:
tourniquet
disposable gloves for dressing out elk
folding bone saw
plastic sheet ground cover for tent
meat sacks
whistle
a couple of chem lights
old school compass

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you, what's your general physical condition and weight?

I like your load out, good luck and have fun.

DocB

First aid kit has quick clot. I can improvise a tourniquet with various straps if needed.

Can't really think of much use for a bone saw. Last elk I helped dress and de-bone, we didn't use anything other than knives with 3 inch blades.

I haven't ever used a ground sheet with my tent. I just put my pad on the dirt, and call it good.

Meat sacks are in the picture. (TAG bags)

First aid kit has a whistle

Never had need for a chem light. What purpose do they serve that a headlamp won't do better?

I've got a compass on my phone, and a compass on my watch.

I'm 52 years old, 210 pounds and am in pretty good shape. I do a lot of backpacking and mountaineering. Hunting (even elk hunting in steep country) doesn't push my physical limits. My last hunt, I packed out almost 180 pounds of elk meat.

A few pics from my scouting trip:

Perched on this ridge, I could glass a lot of country

Home sweet home

If you look very closely, you can see me in this picture. (My camo makes me almost completely invisible. :)

I sleep in my clothing. Sleeping in my clothes allows me to carry a lighter weight sleeping bag. The pillow weighs 2.4 ounces. I save more than that with being able to carry a lighter sleeping bag.

So far, I really like the bino harness. Allowed me to keep the binos on my chest, but they didn't flop around. Quickly accessible when I needed them.

Just got back from 3 days of scouting the area.

Hiked in about 6 miles and 1000 feet, and set up camp. Then headed out with a day pack and went looking for elk and elk sign. Going back next week to do some real hunting. Had heat, wind, rain, sleet, hail, and snow. Gear seemed to perform pretty well.

The area doesn't lend itself to long range hunting. It's heavily forested, with widely spaced trees and lots of forage under the cover of the tree canopy. The elk seem to be staying tucked into the forest. Looks like it will be mostly short range stalking and ambushing. Carrying my heavy precision rifle seems like a waste when the longest shot I'm likely to take will be 100 yards, but it's the only one I've got, so I guess I will just suck it up and carry the extra weight.

First aid kit has quick clot. I can improvise a tourniquet with various straps if needed.

Can't really think of much use for a bone saw. Last elk I helped dress and de-bone, we didn't use anything other than knives with 3 inch blades.

I haven't ever used a ground sheet with my tent. I just put my pad on the dirt, and call it good.

Meat sacks are in the picture. (TAG bags)

First aid kit has a whistle

Never had need for a chem light. What purpose do they serve that a headlamp won't do better?

I've got a compass on my phone, and a compass on my watch.

I'm 52 years old, 210 pounds and am in pretty good shape. I do a lot of backpacking and mountaineering. Hunting (even elk hunting in steep country) doesn't push my physical limits. My last hunt, I packed out almost 180 pounds of elk meat.

Looking good there young'un! You look like a fit and healthy young man!

I take chem lights (also called cyalume chemical light sticks) for two purposes: use in and around the tent or trail at night for illumination, you can just slide it back into the wrapper to "turn off" the light, saves the batteries on my light for general illumination; and for marking trails or rescue at night, just a carry over from my military days.

The tourniquet is the same, always ready for use and only weighs a few ounces. Bleed out can happen in just a few minutes and making a tourniquet is not always possible or successful. I carry quick clot and the tourniquet just as a matter of routine, as my wife says "stuff happens", lol!

As far as the compass goes, an old school magnetic one never needs batteries.

As far as a handgun goes, I always pack my 10mm for any unwelcome guests regardless of how many legs they stand on! It never gets left behind. I figure if it's too much weight for me to carry, I really don't have any business being out there.

I'm sure that you probably have additional ammo in the truck or car, but I'd consider packing about a minimum of 3 more rounds... just in case.

Like I said, I think you have a good plan and a good load out. Good luck and bring back some elk tenderloins! mmmmm good!!

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts