Solo backpackers ???

Another perk on the InReach is the buddy that doesn't cancel, but decides that he has to come in a day late....no problem if you've got the InReach, it's so easy to meet up even deep in the wilderness. I had this happen a couple years ago, and even though I ended up changing the original plan, it was no problem to just let him know to hike up over a ridge to the next drainage.
Very good point!

I mostly go solo because I can't find anyone to hunt with who will really go into the back country. Lots of friends that hunt, but none will venture more than a half mile from the truck. I will say I'm very cautious when hunting alone and am not the greatest with direction so carry 3 gps units 😂

I wonder how all these people backpack for months the AT, CDT, PCT solo ever year without fear but then a big burly armed hunter that watches too much television can turn a week long backpack hunt into some major endeavor.
I do both, and they are completely different. Being on a trail that has plenty of people hiking down it regularly is different than being solo in the backcountry for a week and never seeing another person.

I am lucky. When I was 37, I took a 17 year old second cousin hunting. I've trained him to hunt like I do for 32 years. It didn't hurt that he's a Marine. We use Garmin Rinos so if we're close enough for the radios to work we know where the other one is. We have used the radios to guide each other towards game many times with the radios. We have packed each outher game out many times.

If you're packing in and packing out bones, you're doing it wrong. Try the gutless method, you'll love it. The older you are the more you'll love it.

NM's governor just declared a "health emergency" over the number of shootings here, and "suspended the right to carry a gun". Many places here in Albuquerque, I wouldn't walk at night without one.

I wonder how all these people backpack for months the AT, CDT, PCT solo ever year without fear but then a big burly armed hunter that watches too much television can turn a week long backpack hunt into some major endeavor.
Agreed. Some of those people backpack for days/weeks at a time with literally nothing but a pocket full of cliff bars a couple of light layers and a nalgene. They make it from stop to stop carrying very little and wearing SHOES!

I do both, and they are completely different. Being on a trail that has plenty of people hiking down it regularly is different than being solo in the backcountry for a week and never seeing another person.
To a point you're right. You're taking in a little more risk being off trail. But being solo in the backcountry is being solo in the backcountry. Trail or no trail. I think there is a point to be made how some of the through hikers are literally minimalist. They carry nothing and run hundreds of miles in the backcountry for months on end solo. If something happens 10 miles from the nearest road it's not gonna matter if you're on the PCT. Only difference is you might end up with some moral support as you're laying there with a broken leg.

But either way I'd get an inreach haha

I don't do both. I am almost always off major trails. I hate what the CDT, 14ers and mountain bikers have done to wildlife in my area. I am well past my prime and have years of 50+ days a year living out of my pack mostly off trail with a spotting scope and no weapon or significant first aid kit except a weapon for a couple weeks hunting in the fall. I'm telling you from experience, if you fear being alone in the wilderness it's because you have fear not because the wilderness is any more dangerous than the front country.

I don't do both. I am almost always off major trails. I hate what the CDT, 14ers and mountain bikers have done to wildlife in my area. I am well past my prime and have years of 50+ days a year living out of my pack mostly off trail with a spotting scope and no weapon or significant first aid kit except a weapon for a couple weeks hunting in the fall. I'm telling you from experience, if you fear being alone in the wilderness it's because you have fear not because the wilderness is any more dangerous than the front country.
It's not that it's more dangerous
I wasn't implying it's inherently more dangerous, it's not. The difference is when you're on your own solo small mistakes/things that happen can become big things. Twisting or even breaking your ankle or cutting yourself bad with a knife at home in the city, no big deal. Having that happen when hiking on a fairly well used trail? Very inconvenient but not the end of the world, someone will come along before too long to assist if you need it. 10 miles from civilization where there's no chance another person will walk by, could be life threatening if you're not prepared or even if you are.

I end up hunting, hiking and scouting solo quite a lot. Not cause I necessarily prefer it, but because my hunting partners have their own schedules. I am pretty accustomed to it at this point and feel like I probably hunt better alone. I try to be cautious and have a SpotX device and a comprehensive first aid but not formal training.

That said I find the biggest battle to always be mental - usually just missing my kids and wife. That happens with my hunting partners too but less so. Looking forward to the day when my kids are old enough and will hopefully become my hunting partners!

Solo hikes are awesome!!!
Going with my horse is also amazing!
People can get annoying, mess up my schedule, decide they want to do something else, and expect me to join them, not do my own thing.
Sleeping under the stars, no tent, just a sleeping bag , is as close as I can possibly get to nature and God.
This summer I took some vacation time, and packed up my horse, and did a 9 night, 10 day ride.
If something gets me stressed or down, I just remember that trip, and life is better again.

Yeah my wife and my dad tell me all the time it's not safe to go out by myself but with my schedule I don't always have a hunting partner so I go by myself. Usually I make it back to my truck and sleep inside or in the bed of the truck. How many of you go on backpack trips by yourself?
I sort of find it peaceful by myself in the woods even if it isn't "safe" but that's me. Some might find it boring but one thing I like is watching the sunrise and sun set over the mountains
I am almost always solo for multi-day hike / backpack / camping, mountain climbs and hunting. It is the rare exception that anyone accompanies me, the last time in 2018. I bring my cell phone. I've been on peaks at 10K, twenty miles from the closest cell tower, and called my kids.
Hunting today was a dud so I wound up mushroom foraging instead. Sent pictures of the Chanterelles and Psicilocybin cubensis clusters I found to my kids.
[edit to add] LOL, I see I answered this three years ago...