What would YOU bring on a 7 day pack hunt

mountain house at least 1 per day for dinner, first aid, sleeping gear, don't forget your air mattress, gun, ammo, license, game bags, high energy snacks-M&Ms/jerky/etc.., hat, sunglasses, binos, havalon with extra blades, ultralight rainfly, rain gear even if it's not in the forecast, canadian club plastic bottle-rec 2 of those, 2x 1L water bottles, at least 4 pairs of socks for a 7 day trip, extra underwear, puffy down jacket. fill in the gaps as needed but this will get you close.

How about a pack-carrying llama? Not joking here. It could carry out at least one quarter of an elk per trip. Likely two boned quarters.

Eric B.

P.S. STOVE->If you are allowed to burn wood I recommend a Trail Designs Sidewinder or the larger Tri-Ti cone stoves W/Inferno insert. I have used the Sidewinder for years and found it great with ESBIt tablets or wood. You can also use T.D.'s little Kojin alcohol burner which is very efficient.

This stove is titanium sheet and is very light and rolls up compactly.

Last edited:
Most has been filled in, but I'll add lip balm, flo orange or pink ribbon, head lamp, batteries to recharge any electronics + hard candy to suck on. It's amazing how dry your throat can get @ altitude.

Rifle/bullets/licence/tags
Binos....good ones
Sleeping bag/thermarest
Tent
Backpack
Jetboil/Fuel
Coffee/oatmeal/protein bars/Mtn House meals/trail mix/jerky
TP/Wet Wipes
Outdoor Edge/spare blades
3 pairs Merino wool Sox
Merino wool long sleeve shirt/bottoms
Spectra twine
Cel phone for camera & gps maps
Solar charger

If you are coming to CO, forget the alcohol and get some edibles.;) they are light and last for 8+hours or so per gummy(or so I've heard:rolleyes:). Also to save weight dry out your baby wipes, you can rehydrate them in a ziplock bag with some water as needed. I know they are not all that tasty but dehydrated meals are a must for a trip of that length, also nuts and dried fruit and some kind of electrolyte powder to put in water. Have you guys considered renting a horse? Here in CO you can have one delivered for the entire hunting season for $550 each. What season are you hunting? It's pretty hard to do this type of hunt when it's really cold and snowing. Basically, your whole pack will be stuff to keep you warm and dry especially at night.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.