What do you guys bring for bipod, shooting sticks, tripod, etc. on backpack hunts?

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
I'm wondering specifically about multi-day backpack hunts where weight is crucial.

Re: What do you guys bring for bipod, shooting sticks, tripod, etc. on backpack hunts

Andy, in the past, I have always just shot off my pack. I now carry a velbon ultra maxi m tripod for all my glassing and I have a outdoorsman grip head on it. With this tripod, you can lower it all the way to the ground and with the outdoorsman head, you can cant it so you can shoot off of the tripod. Its a pretty good setup and its lightweight and very stable. I think that shooting sticks are okay for a quick shot or one that's not too far away but i'm not comfortable with them and any long distance. I also just built a 300 win mag and its outfitted with a harris bipod but I'm not sure about the weight----still contemplating that.

Randy

Re: What do you guys bring for bipod, shooting sticks, tripod, etc. on backpack hunts

I love my Snipepod when weight is critical. It is not as stable as a Harris, but it's better than shooting sticks. I've made first round hits on 10-12" rocks at 600 yards using a Snipepod from the sitting position. It easily adapts to prone too, but it requires some getting used to because you can't use it like a Harris.

Kramer Designs Corp

Also, I've used mine with my 14 pound rifles and it does the job, but I feel it is more at home on my 8 pound packing rifle.

I like tripods as they are more versatile for where I hunt. The bog pod is very stable and I carry it in a shotgun scabbard strapped to my pack. I also have the browning foldable tripod which is way lighter but not as steady. I have experimented with making really lightweight tripods from fiberglass poles and that also works. But I have the most confidence with the bog pod so that's what I tend to use.

I always keep my harris bipod on my gun and never think about taking it off. I have been trying to cut weight where ever I can for my upcoming elk trip, but think I am going to bite the bullet and haul in my Manfrotto 055XDB. At 4.6 lbs it will be one of the heaviest pieces of gear in my pack, but I also think it is one of the most important. I will most likely use it hours a day for glassing, and it also provides me with a rock solid rest for my rifle if the situation presents itself.

My "shooting sticks" are my Edie Bauer hiking poles. I just put each strap loop over the other pole handle, place my rifle forearm on the crossed straps and take aim.

The hiking poles are adjustable for length if I need one or both poles lower.

When backpacking in my Browning A-Bolt rifle is strapped to the back of my pack. This way I can use my hiking poles for stability, push off uphill and to ease the strain on my knees on downhills.

All I need to do tobring my rifle around is reach behind me and release the QR buckle, pull the rifle down until the barrel clears its holding loop, swing the rifle around front and I'm ready to shoot.

I have greatly improved my Camelback Commander hunting pack by teh following mods:

1. cut off wimpy cloth belt and put an REI Ridgeline padded belt in behind the pack's lumbar pad
2. made an frame in the hydration compartment from 1" aluminum bar stock that I pre-curved to fit my back profile
3. had my shoemaker sew on 3/4" webbing straps and buckles to the pack bottom for strapping on a sleeping pad and roll-up deer sled
4. added aftermarket side pockets and a left belt pocket.

Now I have a pack for both hunting and backcountry skiing.
(But my goal is a Eberlestock Just One or Dragonfly pack. :eek:)

Second on the snipe pod. I have 2 models. Later when hunting muleys in snow I like sitting model, I can lay prone in 2 feet plus snow and hold my rifle up out of snow,easy to have bracket for other rifles, I shot a bull at 500+ with back against tree trunk and off pod,saw very steady this way. I pack my atlas on hard day hunts

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.