What I'm Taking on a Solo Elk Hunt

ssssnake529

Headed up into the high country for a solo elk hunt.

I have an antlerless tag, and am looking for the smallest youngest calf I can find.

Here's what I'm taking.

Solo Elk Hunt Checklist

Clothing
Boxer briefs (lightweight wicking material)
North Face midweight thermal bottoms
First Light Kanab pants
Orange Patagonia silkweight long sleeve capilene top
Icebreaker Kodiak softshell jacket
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down hooded jacket
Patagonia Rain Shadow jacket and Torrentshell pants
Orange Cashmere hat (Golightly Cashmere)
Orange Buff
Orange Cap (LL Bean Technical Upland Cap)
Wool socks x 2
Simms Foldover fingerless fleece mittens
Danner Marine RAT Mojave GTEX boots
Sunglasses and hearing protection
Orange polyester vest (Sportsmans Warehouse)

Camping, Personal Gear
Hiking poles
Eberlestock Skycrane Pack with Spike Camp Duffel
Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid shelter, with 8 carbon fiber stakes
Thermarest X-Therm sleeping pad
Montbell inflatable pillow
Marmot Helium sleeping bag
Backcountry boiler with 6 ounces alcohol fuel
3 Liter MSR Hydromedary water bladder
Water purification tablets
Sawyer squeeze filter
Titanium BOT water bottle/pot
Tohil Lighter
Skookum Bush Tool knife
Sharpening rod
Mammut headlamp
Tenkara fly rod and fishing kit
Panasonic LX100 Camera
Suunto Ambit 2 Watch
Diaper wipes
Map
Delorme InReach
Android phone
Hunting Tags
First Aid Kit

Shooting Gear
Rifle with Scope, BORS, sling, bipod,
TAB rifle cover
Traditions muzzle protector
Vanguard Carbon Fiber tripod with Triclawps and Manfrotto ball head
magazine and 5 rounds of ammunition
Snap cap
Vectronix PLRF 15 range finder
Swarovski 10x50 EL binoculars with S4 chest strap
Kestrel 4500
Lens wipes
TAG Game bags

Food
10 Bridgeford sandwiches
5 Freeze Dried dinners
5 Granola bars
4 Peanut butter packets
5 hot cider mixes

In the Car
Coolers and ice

Last edited:
IIWY would ditch the tripod. No need with 10x binoculars. Not sure about the knife? Need a bone saw/limb saw. What caliber rifle is that? Maybe ditch the short bipod and use the trekking poles as shooting sticks. I'll will let the experts pick the rest apart. LOL.
Sounds like an exiting trip. Wish you fun and luck!

Would also take some disposable gloves for cleaning the elk (may not be close to water). Where's the medical kit?

First aid kit is in the photo, but forgot to put it on the list.

I was going back and forth on the tripod. Will probably follow advice here and leave it.

Rifle is a 300 Win Mag

I can add a fair amount of carrying capacity to the pack with the addition of the duffel. Even so, I'm looking at a couple of trips to pack out the meat.

How long are you going for? Looks like you have way too much stuff I would only have 1 complete set of clothes for the worst weather + extra socks and shorts use nylon clothing that will dry out in your sleeping bag at night also loose the pistol. just my opinion.

Didn't see the pistol?
Would lose the "Tenkara fly rod and fishing kit". You won't have time for fishing. gun)
Oh and the snap cap thingy. I don't think they are necessary. I have dry fired thousands of times without one. You will lose it or worse find it in the chamber at the worst possible time.

How long are you going for? Looks like you have way too much stuff I would only have 1 complete set of clothes for the worst weather + extra socks and shorts use nylon clothing that will dry out in your sleeping bag at night also loose the pistol. just my opinion.

I'm going out for 5 nights.
I only have 1 complete set of clothing. Only thing I have extra is socks.
Not bringing a pistol.

Didn't see the pistol?
Would lose the "Tenkara fly rod and fishing kit". You won't have time for fishing. gun)
Oh and the snap cap thingy. I don't think they are necessary. I have dry fired thousands of times without one. You will lose it or worse find it in the chamber at the worst possible time.

Tenkara rod and fishing kit weigh 4 ounces total. I've found that I am most active hunting in the morning and evening. During the noon hours, I tend to have down time. Fly fishing is a good way to spend some down time. If I don't use it, it's only an extra 4 ounces.

I'm a snap cap believer. I know that some don't think they're necessary. I'd rather practice with it.

I would take a second light source and some paracord for hanging meat.

There's a small emergency flashlight in my first aid kit.

Tag bags have integral cords for hanging.

I would also throw in a few more rounds of ammo look at as part of your survival plan and instead of the pillow you already have a stuff sack fill it with your clothes and jacket.

I checked out the Tenkara fly rod and fishing kit. That's pretty cool. Have been a backpack flyfisher for years. Used to fish the small streams in the Smokeys that way. Does look neat for small streams. Learn something everyday...

Very similar to my gear list for an antler less elk and busk mule deer hunt northern Nevada this October.

Nice DTA rifle. I envy you. I'm using a .300 Win. mag. Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker W/ synthetic stock, Burris 6-18 Black Diamond scope & Mil Dot reticle.

I'm using my telescoping aluminum walking sticks as my shooting sticks. My binoculars are 10X Bushnell ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinders with angle compensation and a ballistic program. It's set to read hold in mils to match my reticle.

TENT-> Tarptent Moment DW with a crossing pole in case of snow.
PACK-> Osprey EXOS 58... IF I can fit everything in and on. If not then my heavy (7.5 lbs.) Dana Terraplane.
SLEEPING SYSTEM-> factory overstuffed Western Mountaineering Megalite & mummy shaped pin-on down topper. Mattress Thermarest Trail Pro
KITCHEN-> Brunton Crux canister stove, 3 cup pot & lid, "one egg" skillet W/O handle, plastic cup, cut down ZipLoc bowl and Lexan spoon.

Eddie Bauer down jacket and vest
Cabela's GTX PacLite rain/hunting suit

SPOT rescue beacon (Hey, I'm over 70 and the wife needs peace of mind. Plus I want searchers to find my body before the coyotes do. ;o)

Garmin Colorado GPS W/ X-Maps

More food? Five days is a good piece of time alone. You will burn a good sum of calories if you cover much ground or kill something and have to hump it out. Food is good for morale IMO. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your hunt.

What is the pack you are using, that's a lot of gear and to add atleast 3 to 4 loads to back pack an elk out plus all of that I hope you have a good pack to hall that much weight. I am running a kifaru pack and it is well worth it for hauling big loads. I just got out of a back pack hunt in Idaho and we got 3 bulls and 3 mule deer 7 miles in and to say the least a good pack is worth its weight in gold. Just my 2 cents happy hunting, also if you ever ditch your S-4 bino harness which you may after your hunt I would recommend checking out the FHF Gear bino harness especially for the glass your packing. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts