What If... new 300 gr 338 AND 30 cal bullets?

BountyHunter

What if there is a new high BC major mftr 300 grain 338 bullet being tested and shot with a prototype advanced 338 Lapua sniper systems in Afgan by some SOF units right now?

What if that same system has an operator field interchangable barrel for a 30-338 Lapua with a 300 grain 30 cal bullet? Yes I said 300 grain 30 caliber bullet. Supposedly this bullet is penetrating level 3 body armor and chicken plates at 900m meters and .5 MOA.

Looks like a major arms mftr and ammo mftr partnered for the 338 Lapua with new 300 grain bullet and a 30-338 with a 300 grain 30 caliber.

Supposedly the 30 cal is way flatter with more KE downrange than the 338. Both are supposed to be hollowpoints.

Trying to set up a test shoot of the sytems in late July. More to follow then when I have seen and shot the systems. Hope to sneak a few pics.

BH

Last edited:
Re: What If...?

I'm all ears...and eyes. 300 gr 30 caliber, I'd love to see a pic of that baby.

Sounds great for target shooters, what about a hunting bullet?
And a 300gr 30cal bullet?????...............huh? Im guessing youd need an, oh, say, 5 twist bbl, and a minimum case capasity of a 300 wby? hahaha:D What gives BH?

Oh yea. Wow. That is very cool. Must be out of some super high density metal in order to be stabilized.

Steve

a 22 LR cuts thru Level 1 and 2, and we find them useful!

Anyway, lets wait and see if this pans out as good as they are saying.

No one is going to hold you down and grab your nose and make you shoot them.

BH

chas

Not yet, trying to confirm from the mftr directly and want to see and shoot them first. I have a POC there and he gave me the run around on that awhile back, so lets see the bullets first, get a pic and better yet a sample or two.

BH

Youve definately got my attention, or curiosity rather, with These 300gr 30cal bullets you speak of. If you can get anything out of your source, Find out what twist rate is needed to stabilize them. Im guessing its gonna have to be fast. Also what is the ''mystery metal'' they make them out of? Tungsten?
I wonder how they keep pressures down with a bullet that has got to be increadibly long. Barnes cut those canalure shanks in thiers. If this rumor your friend told you holds any water, youve gotta get some more details for us. This, so far, is just too interesting to give tantilizing info and then go,'' hush hush''. Tell him that its rude:D you need more.

GH, your right amd I agree. proofs in the pudding or when the bullets in hand. Thanks for responding.

Here's a pic of the 30 cal 300 grainer not quite sure what the top one is :)
underwaterE.jpg

all I know now is that my source who works for one of the parties, says the rifle mftr and bullet mftr were participants in a SOCOM solicitation and blew their socks off with the presentation for both rifles and ammo that exceeded most of their expectations.

Test rifles and bullets are overseas now.

Based on what I am hearing I doubt the 30 cal bullet is anything other than a core and thicker jacket just pushed really fast out of a 338 Lapua necked down. It is supposed to have a ton of KE which is giving it the penetration and flat trajectory. I am hearing the SOF guys are liking the 30 much better over the 338. Do not know if it is just necked down or Ack Imp, but based on the ammo company named, I can see it being either one very easily.

I think I know the gunsmith behind these two systems. He has been working quietly for two years with the rifle mftr building and testing chambers, barrels, twists etc. I had talked with the smith and the rifle company VP and we discussed that only, so obvioubsly both were being tight lipped on the other projects. The smith is a master extradinaire with the 338 since it came out in the early 80s so that would not surprise me to find out he was the architect behind both.

Once I can shoot the system and get bullets in hand, then I will be able to confirm the players, specs and IF and WHEN they are going to be available commercially. Hopefully, they will let me take some pics.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.