What hunting pack is better and why?

A few years ago I came across a Easton outfitters full bore XT 3600 hunting pack . It has an aluminum and carbon fiber tube frame with fully adjustable torso and shoulder strap system . The main pack offers enough storage for daily essentials plus large wings and a hauler net stashed in the bottom zipper pocket. I love this pack has led light .tons of anchor points . It will go from day pack to multi day pack. It also comes with a removable roll top waterproof gear bag.
I have no complaints.

The cabelas frame pack has plenty of fans up here though most that like frame packs and hunt a lot find it worthwhile to step up to a barneys or at least replace the cabelas frame with a barneys version. I don't know what your goal is for the 5000 cu inch internal. To me it is small for most uses beyond just weekend hiking trips. With your small frame you could probably do well w/ a 6500 since your gear won't take up as much space. If you want a good compromise just buy one pack from mystery ranch, the Nice 6500 which will haul a load like an external but fits like an internal and is modular so you can configure it to suite the situation.
As for the gunslinger pack it would be too heavy to pack along up the mountain with you so it would really be best served as a base camp or day hunt bag. For that purpose there are better bags in the eberlestock stable. I have their X1 pack and it is my go to moose hunting daypack. The only reason to consider a gunslinger is if you are using a rifle like an AR with optics that cause it to be too big to fit the scabbard on the X1.

The cabelas frame pack has plenty of fans up here though most that like frame packs and hunt a lot find it worthwhile to step up to a barneys or at least replace the cabelas frame with a barneys version. I don't know what your goal is for the 5000 cu inch internal. To me it is small for most uses beyond just weekend hiking trips. With your small frame you could probably do well w/ a 6500 since your gear won't take up as much space. If you want a good compromise just buy one pack from mystery ranch, the Nice 6500 which will haul a load like an external but fits like an internal and is modular so you can configure it to suite the situation.
As for the gunslinger pack it would be too heavy to pack along up the mountain with you so it would really be best served as a base camp or day hunt bag. For that purpose there are better bags in the eberlestock stable. I have their X1 pack and it is my go to moose hunting daypack. The only reason to consider a gunslinger is if you are using a rifle like an AR with optics that cause it to be too big to fit the scabbard on the X1.
By a strange coincidence the Mystery Ranch 6500 bears a shocking resemblance to my made long ago Dana Designs K2 Long Bed Terraframe and if memory serves the same people who designed and make the MR packs designed the Dana Design K2/LB, and if again memory serves me founded MR after selling Dana Designs.
I bought mine on close out from a place called Northern Mountain supply about 20-23 years ago was a $400 pack back then on close out for $99.99 W/S&H.
Best heavy haul pack I own. Have helped packed out 8 boned out elk with it and it worked superbly. Used it hike Isle Royal and parts of the blue ridge PW and the mountains of CO, UT and 5 elk hunts. Worked so well for me never considered trying another heavy haul pack. IIRC it has a 6500 or 7200 CI/CAP.
My friend who spent 3 summers as an assistant guide in AK and has BP all over AK and the lower 48 cusses me out every time he sees me with that pack as he wishes he could have gotten one as well when they were on close out as he (as well as many other very knowledgeable backpackers) felt it was among the best external large frame packs ever made. He always wanted one but never could convince his frugal self to part with the $$$ when the were full price.

Last edited:
A few years ago I came across a Easton outfitters full bore XT 3600 hunting pack . It has an aluminum and carbon fiber tube frame with fully adjustable torso and shoulder strap system . The main pack offers enough storage for daily essentials plus large wings and a hauler net stashed in the bottom zipper pocket. I love this pack has led light .tons of anchor points . It will go from day pack to multi day pack. It also comes with a removable roll top waterproof gear bag.
I have no complaints.
I was intrigued by the pack you described so I looked for it via Google search and it was without exception on sale most places for a very good price but out of stock everywhere it had been offered for sale.
Based on the pack logo I'm pretty safe in assuming it;s the same Easton that makes arrows.

Usually when an item is no longer available but when it was it was on sale means either it's out of stock due to extreme popularity or it's no longer being made. Was unable to determine which of the two was the reason for it not being available everywhere it once was.

Just like to add an update I found a website closing them out that stated in the add that Easton Outfitter packs are no longer being made. Unfortunately they had none left in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.