KUIU vs Sitka Gear-Which is Better

I doubt the op still cares, considering the original conversation was from 2017. But, there is a difference.

I hunted with Walmart and sportsman's warehouse brand clothing most of my life, in the steep western terrain in oregon chasing blacktail and elk. I was always a sweaty, too hot or too cold mess halfway through the day.

I finally broke down and started buying one piece of Sitka gear each year, and have regretted none of my purchases. Lighter, much better temperature regulation, better water proofing, and items are often small enough I can carry my puffy jacket or spare pants in my pack with minimal space wasted.

There are some details about the pants I have that I would change, but I would never trade them back for what I used to wear.

A person can sometimes spend less money for similar gear if they look at mountaineering clothing, which is often identical save the color. But dropping into generic brand gear is definitely a decrease in performance.

While SITKA is very good hunting clothing I prefer KUIU mainly because the materials are mainly from Tory, a Japanese company known for excellent materials for mountaineering/backpacking garments over many decades.

For general use I have a KUIU KATANA Storm Shell rain parka in the VALO camo pattern. This is a replacement for an older LL Bean Gore Tex camo hunting parka that was STOLEN from my spike camp while I was elk hunting in northern Nevada.

The only complaint I have of KUIU clothing is that the jackets & parkas are cut quite slim so at 5' 10" and 195 pounds I had to order an EXTRA Large size instead of my usual Large size in order to be able to wear a down vest or jacket under it. Everything else is excellent including the pit zips and other waterproof zippered pockets plus many other useful features.

Last edited:
They are both good. I lean towards Kuiu ,
Sizing with both you might go 1 size bigger if you have sizing issues.
Customer service Stika is good, but Kuiu is getting better. IMO

Ill leave this. I had sitka cold front for 7 years and I decided to buy new kuiu gear since my sitka had maybe another year or two left in it. I bought the there gale force kutana. Anyway we hunting that year late October in the frank church a buddy of ours tagged a long whos never been hunting. Hes from florida and hates cold. I let him use my cold front gear. The entire 14 days he was warm and i was freezing, never again will i buy kuiu also all my zippers were leaking when i used them fishing that December. I dont run either now i use stone glacier and very happy with them.

I like & use both. I use Sitka for tops because I can get 37-38" sleeve length. I use KUIU for Attack pants because they're tall has 37" inseam. My choice is that it has to be quality, but fit is #1. I'm old & lived my life wearing high water jeans until western wear became popular to "stack" jeans.
Both are high quality.

Last edited:
Have you looked into Asio gear it's awesome stuff love how it has full warranty save a lot of money also I have the mid weight stuff for bow hunting in Illinois and it's awesome. Have buddies that hunt late season in pa and Illinois and have the heavy weight stuff and they like it better than Sitka good luck on your choice all gear anymore is really good stuff.

The biggest thing with me ,is you can try on Sikta in most high end sporting stores, where Kuiu is mostly mail order!
Sizing can be a problem if you are kinda built weird!

One other thing I will say, I have a Kuiu Guide Jacket that I really like except getting it off.
The liner will not slide on any shirt that isn't slick!