Kuiu Outter Jacket: which model?

megastink

For the Kuiu fans: Guide All Season Jacket or Rubicon Hooded jacket as an outer layer for cold weather (will have three under layers on. Temps will be 0-40*F. TIA!

I know it's not on your list but I have the Axis jacket. It's very similar to the guide jacket but it's a couple inches longer and the hood, shoulders, and upper arms area of the sleeves are supposed to be more waterproof then water resistant like the guide jacket. I'm 6'4" so I liked the longer size. I haven't used it in the rain yet so I cannot verify how much more water proof it is

I know it's not on your list but I have the Axis jacket. It's very similar to the guide jacket but it's a couple inches longer and the hood, shoulders, and upper arms area of the sleeves are supposed to be more waterproof then water resistant like the guide jacket. I'm 6'4" so I liked the longer size. I haven't used it in the rain yet so I cannot verify how much more water proof it is
I'm not looking for water proofing, just looking for warmth.

For me the real factor of my decision on the Axis was it is probably about 3" longer in the body and just fit me better. I know a lot of people with the guide and they like it too. I up sized to a 2xl so I could fit a puffy down jacket under it. If you are not farmilar with KUIU gear the jackets do run a little small compared to every other brand I'm familiar with. I guess they call it an "athletic" fit but I'm 200 pounds and 6'4" and the XL was just small

Between those 2 I would choose the guide jacket. The pit zippers on the guide jacket are a plus also.

I have both the guide and the axis jacket, can't go wrong with either. Both block wind really well. The axis is better in terms of blocking out water and the fit is better for my build, 6'3 210. Really can't go wrong with either, both are about the same as far as warmth

Both work very well, the rain jacket obviously blocks wind the best and is very light weight. I personally spend way more time hunting with a base layer, guide vest, and either the Kenai insulated jacket, or the super down. They are both very light, really warm, and can be rolled up very small in your pack. If your going to be hiking, and hunting Below 20, I'd look really hard at getting one of those jackets. Wind is not much of an issue with either one, and you will be amazed how warm and comfortable they are. And yes they have pit vipers to help regulate heat, and are very quiet to wear.

I have the Guide DCS jacket. Not a fan of hoods unless it's raining. Usually I wear a beanie or a cap. As KSB209 said, Kuiu tend to run on the small side. I went next size up from my normal and it fit the best.

For the Kuiu fans: Guide All Season Jacket or Rubicon Hooded jacket as an outer layer for cold weather (will have three under layers on. Temps will be 0-40*F. TIA!
I've hunted for years in a 3 layer system. First layer long sleeve Peloton 118, second layer Peloton 200 1/2 zip, then Guide jacket. Just used it on an elk hunt where it was in high 20s starting in the mornings. With mittens on to sit and glass I was great. If you're a colder person or the weather is staying near say 30 a puffy or a heavier mid layer like a 280 strong fleece might be great. If you hunt in wet weather the Axis Hybrid might be good to stay dry. The guide jacket will survive a short light rain or light snow though.

If you are going purely for warmth than the Guide is going to be better/heavier than the Rubicon. If you are getting the Guide, then get the Axis instead because of the seam taping which keeps you from having to go to your hard shell that much longer. Like others have said, I too have the Axis and prefer it.

Not the Rubicon. Guide or Axis as others have said are the better bet for what you are looking for. KUIU NATION!!! (Grab some of their socks too while you're there. **** good kit!)