Lightweight day pack for horseback hunt

JTH

I'm looking for suggestions for a lightweight day pack for an upcoming horseback hunt. The outfitter has a strict 15 pound limit (all in) for a daypack, as it will be hung on the saddle horn opposite the scabbard.

I've got a Mystery Ranch pop up 28 and an Exo k4, either of these would use up nearly 1/3 of the weight limit with the pack alone.

Would ideally like something waterproof, loop on the top to hang on the saddle horn, and a waist belt would be ok but not required with the light weight. Side compartments for shooting sticks and trekking poles would be a plus.

Anyone have recommendations?

Kuiu ultra 1800, right at or under 3#,and meat carry between.My archery day pack, for me end right at your number with a smaller bladder, my game bags,lazer,bino,folder,tyto,headlamp,etc.You only get one side small pouch, but trek pole just goes under straps,I carry a seat too, but run close to 17#,if gps and radio.Solo I drop a few things

Seek outside flight 2, still has a frame to it as well, big storage for very little weight. It'll have better water resistance than any of the other brands with the UltraPE 400 fabric they use.
  • Weight - 2.4 lbs (1.08 kg).
  • Volume - 3200 ci (52L)
  • Face mesh pocket adds ~500 ci (8.1L)
  • Comfortable with heavier backpacking loads of 35-50 lbs.
  • Highly water resistant.
  • Weather resistant rolltop packbag.
  • Large mesh face pocket.
  • Two patent pending side water bottle pockets - accept one Nalgene or two 1L Smart Water bottles each.
  • Adjustable hipbelt system.
  • Two zippered hipbelt pockets.
  • Forward pull hipbelt closure.
  • 7075 T6 aluminum frame.
  • Aluminum horizontal cross stay.
  • Four side compression straps, one over the top strap, two bottom compression straps, and Gatekeeper to Side Release Straps (set of 2). All are removable.
  • Hydration port.
  • Hip belt is removable for light load scrambling.

Last year I got one of Stone Glacier "Avail" packs. 3 lbs

Nice pack, great company

Kuiu ultra 1800, right at or under 3#,and meat carry between.My archery day pack, for me end right at your number with a smaller bladder, my game bags,lazer,bino,folder,tyto,headlamp,etc.You only get one side small pouch, but trek pole just goes under straps,I carry a seat too, but run close to 17#,if gps and radio.Solo I drop a few things
I don't see that one on their website, must be discontinued. Thinking maybe the Kuiu Venture Divide 2000 replaced it, looks like a good pack, but at 4 pounds 5 ounces it's not cutting any weight so I'd just stick with the Mystery Ranch pop up 28 that I already have. Was hoping to find something less than 3 pounds.

Seek outside flight 2, still has a frame to it as well, big storage for very little weight. It'll have better water resistance than any of the other brands with the UltraPE 400 fabric they use.
  • Weight - 2.4 lbs (1.08 kg).
  • Volume - 3200 ci (52L)
  • Face mesh pocket adds ~500 ci (8.1L)
  • Comfortable with heavier backpacking loads of 35-50 lbs.
  • Highly water resistant.
  • Weather resistant rolltop packbag.
  • Large mesh face pocket.
  • Two patent pending side water bottle pockets - accept one Nalgene or two 1L Smart Water bottles each.
  • Adjustable hipbelt system.
  • Two zippered hipbelt pockets.
  • Forward pull hipbelt closure.
  • 7075 T6 aluminum frame.
  • Aluminum horizontal cross stay.
  • Four side compression straps, one over the top strap, two bottom compression straps, and Gatekeeper to Side Release Straps (set of 2). All are removable.
  • Hydration port.
  • Hip belt is removable for light load scrambling.
Thanks, I'll check this out, that brand wasn't on my radar.

This is the one I'm using currently:

Looks like a nice setup, but looks like the smallest bag is at 4000 ci that's a bit bigger than I'm looking for to hang on the horn of a saddle while riding.

I recently bought an Exo Mtn Gear K4 frame with the 3600 ci bag.

https://exomtngear.com/collections/k4

It's a great pack, very comfortable and does a great job of distributing a heavy load, but I think it would be too bulky for this application.

Ideally looking for a frameless pack with a loop on top to slip over the saddle horn, side or back pockets with straps to secure a lightweight carbon tripod and carbon trekking poles, and enough room inside to stash a 65mm spotting scope, puffy jacket, rain gear, a Nalgene bottle, stocking cap, gloves, and lunch. Pretty minimal gear, and no need to have a load shelf for hauling meat as we'll have livestock. With the light weight I'm not sure it even needs a waist belt.

I've been looking at Eberlestock Jack knife, Mystery Ramch Coulee 30 or Gunfighter 24. The seek outside Merlin also looks interesting at 1400 ci and only 12 oz. Anybody have feedback on any of these or similar compact, lightweight packs?

If you are really looking to get a premium pack, then by all means go for it. However, for what you will be doing which means minimum walking because of the horse then any pack even from Walmart will work. How do I know? I have done this kind of hunting many times before. I say "spend your money on something else unless you need to scratch an itch".

Agree with above. Just get a nice Gregory backpack or the old Northface Recon backpack. I have used both for years. You can probably find one on eBay cheaper which shouldn't matter since it's going to laying against a horse hide.

I've done this hunt many times. Just my opinion but do yourself a favor. Buy your own saddlebag and horn bag. Cashel makes great bags for not that much money. I use a Sitka Apex pack 36 oz no frame has a waistband only thing it doesn't have is the handle on top which I put on myself works great. The saddlebag and horn bag weight will make no difference to the horse trust me. Makes a lot of gear accessible while you're riding naval should keep the hunting gear in the backpack. Good luck.