What happened to Benchmark carbon wrapped barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
They've been cut rifling for close to a year, Mike's carbon barrels have steel out to the muzzle as well.

It's not Mike's barrel. Just the carbon wrap is his. The Benchmark single point cut rifling is new to carbon blanks I do believe.

Also, I can explain OD for you. Outside diameter. The HCA blank I have the steel at the muzzle doesn't match up to the outside diameter of the carbon wrap. It's all carbon wrap to the end. I do believe the new Benchmark carbon has a complete steel muzzle end.

Whether that matters or not is nothing more than preference perhaps.

My HCA shoots but on the next one I'd prefer a blank with a full steel shoulder for a brake.

Last edited:
It's not Mike's barrel. Just the carbon wrap is his. The Benchmark single point cut rifling is new to carbon blanks I do believe.

Also, I can explain OD for you. Outside diameter. The HCA blank I have the steel at the muzzle doesn't match up to the outside diameter of the carbon wrap. It's all carbon wrap to the end. I do believe the new Benchmark carbon has a complete steel muzzle end.

Whether that matters or not is nothing more than preference perhaps.

My HCA shoots but on the next one I'd prefer a blank with a full steel shoulder for a brake.
That's odd. I'm pretty sure my heavy hunter has steel that matches the profile of the carbon. I'll check when I get back to the farm as rifle is there.

That's odd. I'm pretty sure my heavy hunter has steel that matches the profile of the carbon. I'll check when I get back to the farm as rifle is there.

I'm not sure if HCA does it or gunsmiths. An threaded adapter can be made to create a steel shoulder?

I have a Heavy Hunter in 30 cal. Full carbon to the end. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
My blank is under a year old I think.

I agree. Tweaked it just enough to leave HCA in a tough spot.

I'm not sure if HCA does it or gunsmiths. An threaded adapter can be made to create a steel shoulder?

I have a Heavy Hunter in 30 cal. Full carbon to the end. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
My blank is under a year old I think.

I agree. Tweaked it just enough to leave HCA in a tough spot.
I have the hvy hunter and the summit barrel both shoot very well. And Mike's a great smith. Even tho Benchmark just announced their carbon line. I still ordered one today from Mike. This time a tactical contour 25 cal 7.75tw 28" finished for the 257 blackbird. Which is a necked down 7 blaser case.

+1 for dealing with Mike. Had him chamber my trg 42 with a new barrel and nice to work with. Top notch quality and shoots 1/2moa with factory ammo. Not much to complain about with that! Also benchmark has been great to deal with also and they're just over an hour away from me...makes a tough decision when there's a few good options out there...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts