Carbon wrapped barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm getting ready to re-barrel my Remington and I am contemplating a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, specifically the Carbon Six Remington prefit "Remage".

I really like the idea of shaving off a few pounds but are there any cons to a Carbon wrapped barrel?

My chambering will be 28 Nosler, and the application long range hunting with light target shooting i.e. I won't be getting it hot.

Thanks in advance for any input

I have 2 uninstalled Proof barrels for xx-Nosler chamberings, I may buy another and a magnum research for a 10/22.

I have shot and load for a Christensen arms in 300 RUM.

end of factual data, what follows is opinion based on layman's knowledge of materials and professional engineering.

The concept is sound. Stiffness and dampening. It appears the devil is in the details. The key is the bonding matrix. Heat is the enemy. The bonding matrix, "glue" is as far as I know still epoxy. Epoxy has heat limits. The carbon itself of course can burn but that is at a very high temperature the epoxy will fail long before the carbon.

As was said, don't leave by the camp fire.

It appears Proof has it down, Christensen has it down. Benchmark may or may not. Carbon Six is a new name to me in the wrapped barrel world.

Carbon Six uses of McGowen barrels.
I'm concerned about the "vinyl wrap", I would ask what that means.
Cerakote on a carbon barrel seems a good idea to seal the barrel, ask if it is over or instead of vinyl wrap.

They are about $100 cheaper than Proof. If they have their process down they could be good. I'd try it.

My only concern about wrapped barrels is the two different materials change at two different rates when heated. I assume they have worked on this, but I do not know. I worked with a customer 300wsm Proof rifle and it shot very well. We just got a full custom done for a customer that we will be taking to the range shortly. It is barreled with Proof carbon for 300 Norma imp. Really looking forward to shooting this rifle.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like they should shoot plenty accurately. How would they compare weight wise to a standard 700 factory magnum contour, in other words are the weight reductions only a factor when comparing a Carbon wrapped barrel to a heavy contoured conventional barrel?

I hear mixed reviews on the Proof barrels so they have me a little gun shy.

Anyone know much about or have any experience with the Hardy Carbon Fiber barrels?? Hardy Engineering is based out of New Zealand but they have a USA division called Hardy Rifle Barrels USA.

The most precise barrel I've owned is a 26" 30 Cal Proof Research tube on my 300 WM. I printed several .1 MOA groups with it at 200 yards to finalize load development.

I also have a couple 338 Proof blanks that shoot 1/2 MOA or better at 300+,but the bbl on my WM is exceptional.

Any update on this? Did you decide to go with a carbon wrapped barrel?

I've been looking at them for the Savage build I'm contemplating. My original plan was a 5 or 6 contour traditional steel barrel, fluted and threaded for a brake. By the time I add the cost of fluting and threading to most barrels I've looked at, its more expensive than the CarbonSix or Christensen barrel, which comes threaded and obviously won't need to be fluted.

Only issue is, they don't quite have what I need. Christensen offers 28 Nos and has barrel blanks or Rem pre fits, but not Savage...CarbonSix has Savage prefits, but doesn't offer 28 Nosler. :/

For $75 CarbonSix will rent the reamer and do any chamber you want. I just spoke with their shop manager, Gene, and learned this.

Any update on this? Did you decide to go with a carbon wrapped barrel?

I've been looking at them for the Savage build I'm contemplating. My original plan was a 5 or 6 contour traditional steel barrel, fluted and threaded for a brake. By the time I add the cost of fluting and threading to most barrels I've looked at, its more expensive than the CarbonSix or Christensen barrel, which comes threaded and obviously won't need to be fluted.

Only issue is, they don't quite have what I need. Christensen offers 28 Nos and has barrel blanks or Rem pre fits, but not Savage...CarbonSix has Savage prefits, but doesn't offer 28 Nosler. :/

They have 28 nos now, and will do any caliber you want. You probably know this already but thought id tell ya.

I have a 9 twist .308 barrel coming soon from Carbon Six. I don't have an educated opinion on button vs cut rifled barrels. Anyone having luck with a carbon six?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts