What Got Everbody Started Reloading ?

I started reloading whilst having an extended wait for my first rifle because the gun store stuffed up the paperwork and ordered the wrong model. It became a hobby for me in its own right. I find it very relaxing and rewarding but with the challenge of finding that 'perfect' load. Down the rabbit hole we go!

every year before rifle season i would go to sight in my rifle, and i would have to buy a different brand or weight ammo. I had always wanted to get into it as well, just was a little intimidated. I have been obsessed with it for 3 years now, i have bought rifles just to reload for. it is my "me time" reloading and shooting. gives me something to focus on, instead of work and problems. its is a real stress release.

I started reloading whilst having an extended wait for my first rifle because the gun store stuffed up the paperwork and ordered the wrong model. It became a hobby for me in its own right. I find it very relaxing and rewarding but with the challenge of finding that 'perfect' load. Down the rabbit hole we go!
Down the rabbit hole has been my exact words to several of my buddies who are looking into reloading. At times it has consumed me to find the perfect load for a rifle. I don't know if there is an end to how far you can go with it. I have a friend with about $15000 tied up into reloading for about 5 rifles. My new philosophy is to handload for accuracy with the least amount of steps as possible and economical as possible.

every year before rifle season i would go to sight in my rifle, and i would have to buy a different brand or weight ammo. I had always wanted to get into it as well, just was a little intimidated. I have been obsessed with it for 3 years now, i have bought rifles just to reload for. it is my "me time" reloading and shooting. gives me something to focus on, instead of work and problems. its is a real stress release.
My thoughts as well, reloading helps me focus on something else besides work related issues.

I guess money savings or accuracy must be the primary reasons, or maybe having the control and ability to produce what you want when you want it. I got into it for the accuracy edge, factory ammo wasn't so carefully produced and premium bullet's weren't offered back in the day, so rolling your own was the way to go. Started with some simple equipment and it just slowly took on a life of it's own, one thing would lead to another. I'm still not there but its closer now than when I started 🤔 I remember the first game that fell to my handloads, those first targets that I could see what I was accomplishing in load and rifle tuning. There's a lot of members on here that can still teach me a lot, this is one of my favorite stops when I log on...so much to learn so little time....Dave
I started over 40 years ago, when I was about 15 or 16 for my .222 varmint rifle, Rem 788 shot dime sized groups out of the box with my reloads. I was lucky to have a good mentor and a good small town gun store to help a kid get started. Added shotgun when my father-in-law and I did a lot of duck and goose hunting. Expanded into pistols when my son got interested in pistols. Now I mostly do it to get better accuracy or better quality than I can buy. And the bonus is saving a few $. The really fun thing is there are so many smart people sharing their knowledge in books (thanks Ackley and McPherson) and media (too many to name), I think learning new things I can use is limited only by my time.

My Dad got me started at around 11.Then I slowly took over,which included sighting in his rifle too.Ive tried to teach my son,who is now 25,but Ive had I think? A too well stocked ammo area, he shoots til he runs out then is like.I have 4 bullets to hunt with.:confused: He has done the process a few times though..After him being in the Marines,he is not a low volume shooter,think he does follow up shots automatically:rolleyes:
My son is now 28 . I can relate with you on that. He was never interested in reloading , just shooting .... When he was very young he did like to play in the tumbler when running... A mess. He eventually learned how to empty the media out of the cases and clean out primer pockets and flasholes. ;)

Like many I started reloading for the cost savings. Dad & Mom bought me a Lee hand loader for Christmas or birthday? When I was 13 or 14....we didn't have a wood hammer so I used a chunk of 2x4 to pound out those 303 British rounds. That was 1964 or 1965.....primers were less than .50 a flat, powder was less than $2/lb, bullets were $1 to 2 a hundred. Load costs were less than $1/20 rounds. While store bought cartridges were $2 or more, no way I could afford that.
Moved on to better equipment bought a Herters "U" frame in 1969 (which I still use today).
Hobby has evolved into assembling mostly Savage builds including chambering Ackley improved and other wildcats.
Only shooting about 3000 rounds a year now but still striving for that "one hole" group.
With all the disadvantages of technology and modern times, one good thing has been the creation of these user forums where ideas & experiences are exchanged for the advancement of our sport & heritage.
Good shooting,
Randy
I know you all do the same but I get s chuckle every time I see the price tag on an old can of powder or bullets. I just think ahh the good old days and try to remember how long I've had them. I think I still have my old Lee Loader for 22-250 somewhere. An antique .

We're gonna yet yelled at but my fave was my 70 340 Duster. 69 Road Runner. 70 Charger 440 RT to name a few Mopars. I know. Back to reloading !
My buddy had a 69 Bee with a 440 six pack...it made me dirty my trousers on more than one occassion....
I got married started raising kids so fast cars including other brands went by the wayside. I've settled for more durable brands like Chevs because I don't like to fixem' any longer. Rather buy bullets & powder than car parts!

My buddy had a 69 Bee with a 440 six pack...it made me dirty my trousers on more than one occassion....
I got married started raising kids so fast cars including other brands went by the wayside. I've settled for more durable brands like Chevs because I don't like to fixem' any longer. Rather buy bullets & powder than car parts!
I know what you mean. Friend had a Duster with 340 six pack. I still could beat him everytime . I've had Ford trucks every since. 4 since 1980. Can't believe we haven't got yelled at yet... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts