Getting started in reloading

I helped a friend set up his bench with the Rock Chucker kit, It is a good starting set up. Add a dial caliper, (If you get a digital, buy spare batteries and hang in easy access). Lee case trimmer-with hex shaft shell holder base set up, to use drill or electric screwdriver for power.

I would also suggest a Hornady Cam Lock Bullet puller with proper collet for caliber.
Good thing to have if you need to remove bullets from loads for some reason. No damage to bullet or case.

Figure out what case cleaning system you want, and start dropping hints to relatives and friends for your birthday or next Christmas. The time will be here before you know.

Since the RCBS hand priming tool uses the same shell holder as the press, I suggest you buy 2 shell holders to match the case head. This saves a lot of time lost changing the shell holder back and forth from priming tool to press.

Use proven loads from reputable books, or bullet and powder maker data. Good Luck, Be Safe.

I had never reloaded before January last year. I got an RCBS kit on sale and got a reloading book. I did lots of forum research on load data and printed out all the info on reloading from the RCBS website. Take your time, with no distractions. It's all pretty easy once you figure it out. In the year I've been loading I've worked up loads on 9 different rifles. I love it!

If I remember correctly you were moving to Durango? If so, and you don't end up getting the kit before you move I will help you get going once you get here. Congratulations on the baby!
Yeah, now it's between Durango and ft Collins. Just depends on where the jobs are. So kinda in limbo but it's definitely between the two. And thanks, definitely appreciate it!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Pretty set on the rock chucker kit for now and adding to it as I go. Trying to just buy quality stuff right out of the gate to avoid having to buy again later on. Lots of options out there too! So this is going to take some time to decide on lol

I see you had an offer to visit someone in Columbia. I visited someone who reloads before I got started as well and it was a big help. I'm in Florence if you need anything or want to visit. I went with a Redding Turret press because of reloading several calibers and it keeps me from having to switch dies around. Always herd the Rockchucker was a great press though. Good luck.
Robby

I see you had an offer to visit someone in Columbia. I visited someone who reloads before I got started as well and it was a big help. I'm in Florence if you need anything or want to visit. I went with a Redding Turret press because of reloading several calibers and it keeps me from having to switch dies around. Always herd the Rockchucker was a great press though. Good luck.
Robby
Yeah I've had quite a few offers to help me get set up. Can't beat it. That's one reason I love this site. For the most part everyone tries to help each other out. Thanks for your offer as well!

Whichever press (kit or not), I assure you itis not going to be your last press. Most of us ends up with multiple press set-ups (some of which in varying brands), dispensers, scales, etc ...

RCBS has a nice basic reloading video for $10 that might be worth your time and investment, if you do have anyone near you to show you the basic ropes. Good luck.

Also suggest a good reloading manual and read it. Nosler, Hornady, Berger etc a lot of good information and safety tips that you really want to know. Good luck caution it can be addicting!

Whichever press (kit or not), I assure you itis not going to be your last press. Most of us ends up with multiple press set-ups (some of which in varying brands), dispensers, scales, etc ...

RCBS has a nice basic reloading video for $10 that might be worth your time and investment, if you do have anyone near you to show you the basic ropes. Good luck.
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think it'll be the last. Just don't want to have to upgrade because it's junk. Think I'm going to buy one of the books to read just to go over the basics.

Robby
+1 on the Turret, so glad I went that way also if you load multiple calibers.

I helped a friend set up his bench with the Rock Chucker kit, It is a good starting set up. Add a dial caliper, (If you get a digital, buy spare batteries and hang in easy access). Lee case trimmer-with hex shaft shell holder base set up, to use drill or electric screwdriver for power.

I would also suggest a Hornady Cam Lock Bullet puller with proper collet for caliber.
Good thing to have if you need to remove bullets from loads for some reason. No damage to bullet or case.

Figure out what case cleaning system you want, and start dropping hints to relatives and friends for your birthday or next Christmas. The time will be here before you know.

Since the RCBS hand priming tool uses the same shell holder as the press, I suggest you buy 2 shell holders to match the case head. This saves a lot of time lost changing the shell holder back and forth from priming tool to press.

Use proven loads from reputable books, or bullet and powder maker data. Good Luck, Be Safe.

Word! Took them right out of my mouth. The RCBS kits are always on good sales this time of year and check for rebates. May be worth getting before the move. I like the Hornady ogive measuring tool as well.

I still hold to the train of thought that beginners should start with information from reloading books and instructions that come with the dies. The Sierra book that comes with the kit is just OK. I think the Berger and Hornady books are great supplements. They also have trouble shooting info in them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.