What Got Everbody Started Reloading ?

Cost, accuracy & an interest in making stuff.
I spend a couple of months every year in the US & have always liked pistol shooting but hated paying for ammunition (even more so for feeding an L1A1 once the surplus ran out...).
Luckily, I stay with a mate who loads his own, so started from there with .45 ACP, moved on to .38spl/357mag, then 5.56x45 & 7.62x51.
Then I got back into rifle shooting & hunting here in the UK & due to decent ammunition (even 22-250) costing upwards of $1.50 a round, I bought an RCBS Rockchucker kit & started rolling my own on this side of the Pond too (22-250 now costs me about $0.50 for better than factory rounds, .243 & .270 not much more).
I spent yesterday evening making up test loads across eight different bullets for my new 22-250 & enjoyed every minute of it.
I'll enjoy shooting them even more, knowing the end result will be more consistent & more accurate than any "store bought" ammunition.

Last edited:
I can say I don't save money, but it's kind of hard to say......A while back my boss bought a Browning Hells Canyon and asked me to find the most accurate FACTORY ammo for it. I spent over $200.00 on ammo till I finally got 3/4" at 100 yards. I'm pretty sure I could have found a better load for less money reloading. If I had to spend that kind of money just to get sub moa on every rifle I might sing a different tune!

I got hooked in the late 70's, started with wanting more accuracy and more control of the outcome, velocity and accuracy. Now it's a addiction. It's my get away to relax and enjoy experimenting with all of my wildcats. Started with a C-H press, still have it in a tub under the reloading bench. Now I use a CO-AX and a A&D auto throw.

Back in the early eighties I borrowed a press from a buddy that did not use it any more to load some .41 mag rounds. They were hard to find. Later I rebuilt a transmission for a friends pickup and we did a partial horse trade for a RCBS press and a box full of supplies. I was going to save a ton of money on ammo. Now I have an eight foot reloading bench with three presses and load for 21 different calibers. I love to hunt and just shoot, and I'm still waiting for the savings.

I got into it thinking it would save me money. I haven't saved a penny because I still spend as much but now I get to shoot a lot more.

It allowed me to shoot regularly during the Obama years when my friends couldn't find ammunition. And most of my ammunition performs better than most ammunition I could buy.

At one point I was casting every bullet I shot from wheel weights I scrounged. That reduced the cost of my reloads to less than a 22lr.

life was easier when I did not understand all the factors that made a rifle shoot tiny little groups

i had a rifle that was shooting about 1 moa with factory ammo and a friend said he could make that gun shoot 1 hole groups. i thought he was talking about my ability to shoot and I said ok and handed him my gun. he proceeded to leave with it and I just kinda stood there going what the heck is he doing. about a week later he calls me and we meet at the range and I shoot a .25 inch group. " what did you fix?" the ammo
became hooked immediately
The first one is always free!

For me, when my wife's uncle died, I picked up his .41 mag Blackhawk. When I looked at the price of ammo, I went and picked up his reloading gear as well. That was 3 years ago. I've now loaded for 4 other guns, but have yet to load any .41 mag. Still using the ammo it came with. It's a hobby I always thought I would enjoy, I do, bit this was the opportunity I needed to start.
.41 magnums will do that to you. I got my .41 Blackhawk in 1979 and started reloading shortly after.

Well, I've always really wanted to target shoot since I've been in my 30s. Used to do some hunting in my younger years. Unable to do so,so as to try making a living, until 4 years ago when I was able to semi retire at age 62. I now live comfortably and with in my means. 4 years ago, a coupl8 of close friend got me into Black Powder Shooting by buying a Lyman Great Plainsman 50 cal and casting my 50 cal balls. I now attend rondevouze and have great enjoyment doing so for the trail walk Shooting and fellowship. Always have had fire arms since my teens. Still have my father's 303 British which he bought in '58 for $25.00 which I hunted with.

Where I'm going with this is that up onto 2 years ago, I've never shot beyond 125 yds. Fall of '18 I'm shooting out to 600 meters with the baby (308) in the picture, but not consistently. Also got to know my neighbor who does reloading. Have gone with him, and shot out to 800yds with his reloads in this baby. Bought a 6.5 CM and with it, using S&B 140 factory ammo, hit 600 meters consistently and 1000 yds 1 out of 5 approx. What a thrill to have accomplished what I have, especially with my neighbors help, and finding good forums like this!

I want to do better. At my age, I have a huge learning curve in a short number of years to do so. It is definitely more expensive to reload, as per buying equipment, and seeing more equipment to make the job easier. Just got a Big Boss 2, have the dies and rest of equipment, so now to get started.

My main reason for getting into reloading is to a) tune the ammo to my rifle to find that node that will take it to a greater distance, and b) for the satisfaction of being able to do it my self. Thank you out there to you folks for your great info! I do like reading your stories.

My main reason for getting into reloading is to a) tune the ammo to my rifle to find that node that will take it to a greater distance, and b) for the satisfaction of being able to do it my self. Thank you out there to you folks for your great info! I do like reading your stories.
This is how I feel also, the avatar I use now is my first rabbit hole completion. Took a while and a lot of tuning but showed me it can be done. Got three more to get the best out of them that they are capable of, this site is constantly giving me new ideas. Waiting for a warmer and calm wind day to start, winter puts the hammer on me for getting things done. This fun never ends!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.