What Got Everbody Started Reloading ?

Savage 12BVSS

I guess money savings or accuracy must be the primary reasons, or maybe having the control and ability to produce what you want when you want it. I got into it for the accuracy edge, factory ammo wasn't so carefully produced and premium bullet's weren't offered back in the day, so rolling your own was the way to go. Started with some simple equipment and it just slowly took on a life of it's own, one thing would lead to another. I'm still not there but its closer now than when I started 🤔 I remember the first game that fell to my handloads, those first targets that I could see what I was accomplishing in load and rifle tuning. There's a lot of members on here that can still teach me a lot, this is one of my favorite stops when I log on...so much to learn so little time....Dave

It started off for accuracy and cost savings but realized later that I was getting more and more into it because I enjoy learning and teaching myself new tricks. It makes me think and sometimes makes me pull my hair out. It helps me relax and it's me time. I get great satisfaction out of my tinkering trying to get something to shoot small.

Sometime around 1980 a friend of mine, that was in the retail gun business, found a few brand new Ford 427 High Riser bare head castings. He then ordered all the other stuff he needed to make them complete and I assembled them for him for free. A few days later, as a gesture of thanks, he gave me a new RCBS Big Max reloading kit.

I started In 1964 when shotgun shells were not available in the shot sizes and 10 gauge that I wanted. It didn't hurt that I could load a box of shells for $1.00 ether. Another advantage was that I could tailor the loads to the type of hinting I intended to do.

I got into reloading for rifles and pistols for much the same reason. We didn't have a very good selection of factory ammo so we just had to except their accuracy. Once i got into match shooting, (In the late 60's) there was really no choice but to reload.

There are many good brands of ammo today, but finding one is not always easy, so reloading is the only way to really test the quality of your rifle/pistol.

It has almost become an art now days, and it can be a hobby in it's self and very enjoyable.

J E CUSTOM

Started back in 1975. I was 12 years old, Dad reloaded and I was interested. Up to then, I just watched him do it, He set up the press and let me resize and prime his cases. Wasn't long before I was doing it all. By 13 I had my own rifle. A military surplus 8 mm Mauser. I learned early we couldn't afford not to reload. Factory ammo wasn't as accurate as what we could make, and it was more expensive than our reloads. Reloading allowed us to shoot more, and be more accurate, for basically the same money, or less.

For me, it definitely didn't turn out to save money. Factory rifles and factory ammo? Had to be very lucky to find that combo if you were wanting to shoot extended ranges. I started about 6-7 years ago. Total novice at the time. Glad I found this website. And a few others.
So making my rifles accurate and extended my range and confidence is my reason. Plus I enjoy it.

Rhett

Wow, thanks for the responses so quick. Was downstairs mounting a scope I use for load work and getting the truck loaded to go try some new loads. I never thought of wildcat cartridges...duh. Edd's story of the 427 build so sounded like my experiences at that time I had to smile. And I noticed enjoyment and satisfaction mentioned a good bit, It keeps me outa trouble and broke with the prices my habit is starting to require. I would miss it big time if I had to stop, though at times it feels like chasing your tail and going down a rabbit hole at the same time. OK its off to the range for me.

A gunsmith friend of mine way back during bench rest shooting days. Then we started reloading for 222, 222 Rem. Mag., 220 Swift, 22-250, 6.5 Rem Mag.,... list goes on. He had patience to teach me and educate me on a lot of things, especially when he was chambering a barrel, and fitting to receiver, checking headspace, etc., etc. I will always remember him.

Many years ago, I was at the range sighting in for hunting season and noticed all the brass that was being discarded there. I discovered that I could collect and trade the used brass for loaded ammunition from others I had met at the range. One of the shooters I had met showed me how he loaded his 257 Weatherby and told me what I would need to start reloading. I pick up a "Lee Reloading Kit" and begin my hobbie, now I load for others and share what I have learned along the way. My youngest grandson, now stands at my bench and decaps, trims and cleans my brass for me and wants to know when he can play with all my toys. What started at the kitchen table now takes up an entire room and in 20 years or so all my toys will be his to "Play With". I hope that he will share my hobbie with others and his future grandson will one day get to play with my toys.
Ace Quackhunter

I started reloading in the late 60s. Back then you couldn't buy factory ammo that would shoot any better then 2-3"s. With hand loads we could regularly get under an inch groups and that was with factory rifle barrels that were generally no where near as good as what you can buy today. Over the years I have taught a lot of people how to reload, both by teaching loading courses and one on one. It is a very satisfying part of hunting to take game with your home made ammo. It has also allowed me to shoot easily 5 times as much as I could have ever afforded using factory fodder.

Relatively speaking, reloading presses, dies and the like are far less expensive today than they were back in the 70s. I have a set of RCBS 308 dies bought in 1968 that were $32 (adjusted to today dollars that would be $260). That was a hell of a lot of money 50 years ago and even though I worked part time I would never have been able to afford to get into reloading without my Dad's help.. He was quite happy for the better accuracy of the reloads but since he got all of his 12 gauge, 22 and 308 ammo free from the military, there wasn't really a cost savings when we started.

Reloading equipment and other stuff today is really well made and quite a bit cheaper in adjusted dollars. Reloaderes today are much better off than we were 50 years ago.

Last edited:
My dad......when I was 4 or 5. I would chamfer and debur the brass for him, clean off the lube, or one of those steps that can be done by a second person to speed things up. When high volume .223 loading with 55 grain hornady soft points for shooting prairie dogs, any help you can get is good, plus I got to use his rifle to shoot a couple when we would go out too. I owe my father for a lot of things in my life....

I remember the first game that fell to my handloads, those first targets that I could see what I was accomplishing in load and rifle tuning.

This resonates with me. It was kind of like a moment of validation when the first groundhog bit the dust from one of my handloads. I started back in 2008. I loaded primarily for my 700 VLS in .22-250 and my A-bolt in .243.

I remember my first trip to the range with my first batch of .243 loads. Would they go "bang"? Would I blow 1/2 my face off? It was a bit nerve racking and exciting at the same time. I remember just getting behind the rifle and saying to myself: "Here goes nothing" and pulling the trigger. All was good. What a relief and I was on my way! I can sometimes gather from the posts of new reloaders that they know how this feels and it makes me smile.

Fast forward 11 years and I'm really enjoying this hobby. I've learned to reload for several different types of firearms. I try to hone my skills, largely by gleaning quality insight on forums like this and incrementally adding to my skill set on a regular basis. I try to keep my skills up and if more than 6 weeks or so go by without some type of reloading "exercise" I tell myself - "You better get back to the bench you schmuck!"

Now, I'm on to my next Oddessey, Supressors!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.