Just started reloading, what die set

valleysnyper

Hi, I recieved a RCBS rockchucker reloader for xmas. I thought I was sort of clear on what die set to get. It seems to me I needed a 2 die set, Now I'm seeing 3 peice sets and I was looking at a used set on here for 6.5x284 that had 6 pieces. Now I am really confused, can anyone give me any advice ?
Thanks in advance, Gary

Hi, I recieved a RCBS rockchucker reloader for xmas. I thought I was sort of clear on what die set to get. It seems to me I needed a 2 die set, Now I'm seeing 3 peice sets and I was looking at a used set on here for 6.5x284 that had 6 pieces. Now I am really confused, can anyone give me any advice ?
Thanks in advance, Gary

Keep it simple for now and go with a 2-piece set of dies. Most of my dies are Redding but also have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee, and custom Whidden dies.

Take your time in the learning process and enjoy!

just starting out in the reloading world my advise is to keep it simple. Most rifles need only 2 die sets. In that die set will be a full length sizer and a seating die. The three die sets will include a neck sizer along with the other 2 dies mentioned above. The neck sizer will size only the neck and minimize work hardening of the brass from constant full length sizing. This allows the brass to remain fire formed to your chamber until bolt lift becomes hard and full length sizing is required. just to throw something into the mix I know redding makes body die that size the body only but not the neck. This die is used instead of the full length die to bump the case just enough to allow easy cycling of the bolt but doesnt size it complete to min spec as a full length die will. Then you can get into specialty dies like redding bushing S dies and the bushing competition dies. As you become more experienced at reloading you can experiment with the other type of dies to really ring out the potential of your given rifle.

Start with the 2 die set. When you have som reloading experience perhaps research the other's application. Unfortunately you will find you will want more equipment than you presently have. Getting hooked on reloading can get somewhat expensive. Go slow, research and enjoy. Good luck

Thanks for the advice, I can already tell im going to need to invest in alot more equipment
One of my personal worth while investments when I first started loading, and I agree with the others and think you should stick to the two die sets for now, is a stuck case remover kit.
In time you will see that I am right..:D

One of my personal worth while investments when I first started loading, and I agree with the others and think you should stick to the two die sets for now, is a stuck case remover kit.
In time you will see that I am right..:D

3006, I optimistically omitted that tool. You can only hope.

Thanks for the reply, so I should just get the 2 die set ? Will I need the other one down the road ? If so maybe its worth buying at once

It depends. I loaded some of my rifles ammo for years before I got the neck sizer. Now I just go for the three die sets which includes the full length, seating ,and neck sizer. For one of my rifles a ruger M77 MKII in 6mm PPC I started out with the redding three die set but then got the competition 3 die set about a year or 2 later this set has the comp bushing neck sizer, body sizing die, and a comp seating die. look at the prices of the die sets and compare the three die price to the 2 die price with adding the neck sizer into it and look at the price difference. should help you make a decision to buy it or to add it later. also besides the stuck case remover look into a good dry neck sizing lube and good case sizing lube also a good tumbler to make the cases clean. I use the dry lube when neck sizing and full length sizing because it is cleaner than messing with liquid lubes inside the necks.

me again. get the Redding full length set and order the 6.5 carbide sizer "button" midwayusa.com this keeps lubing necks to a minimum.

stay away from the bushing dies for now. we are keeping your entry into all this stuff simple as possible. as u already see, this stuff gets expensive , fast!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.