What Got Everbody Started Reloading ?

nvschutze That rifle killed EVERYTHING I shot at!
Hogs wild or tame were no match for that rifle,deer and bears also.Yep a 94 Winchester rifle,not a carbine.
When my dad came back from Korea he told me I had to get rid of my guns as we were moving to Fort Campbell and would live on base and could not have any guns there.I left my 22 bolt rifle,single barrel H&R Topper 12 gauge shotgun and yes my Winchester 94 with an old uncle that used to be a judge all 3 guns and he promised they would stay in his gun cabnit until I got back in 18 months.
When I got back his wife was crying and he was mad that I came back.He had had a stroke and gave all 3 guns to family members.Even the law could do nothing for me as I could not prove I just wanted to store them at his house.
I hated losing that 94
Old Rooster

nvschutze That rifle killed EVERYTHING I shot at!
Hogs wild or tame were no match for that rifle,deer and bears also.Yep a 94 Winchester rifle,not a carbine.
When my dad came back from Korea he told me I had to get rid of my guns as we were moving to Fort Campbell and would live on base and could not have any guns there.I left my 22 bolt rifle,single barrel H&R Topper 12 gauge shotgun and yes my Winchester 94 with an old uncle that used to be a judge all 3 guns and he promised they would stay in his gun cabnit until I got back in 18 months.
When I got back his wife was crying and he was mad that I came back.He had had a stroke and gave all 3 guns to family members.Even the law could do nothing for me as I could not prove I just wanted to store them at his house.
I hated losing that 94
Old Rooster
That's messed up.

My great uncle got my dad and uncle started in reloading back in the early 1970's and my dad got me started in the late 70's when I was about 9-10. My first job was putting primers in plastic pistols cases and then inserting the rubber practice bullets in 38 special cases. Then we practiced in my uncles basement with them and did it all over again. For a kid it was awesome.

WYO300RUM I was 12 when I handed it over to my uncle and getting close to 14 when I got back home.That rifle was made in the 50's and nothing I have gotten has felt as good as that old 94.
I started reloading for that rifle with a hand reloader,man that was a job.Took a while to load 20 but if I could have back any rifle I have ever owned it would be that 32 win special,hand loader and all!
Old Rooster

I was 12 when I handed it over to my uncle and getting close to 14 when I got back home.That rifle was made in the 50's and nothing I have gotten has felt as good as that old 94.
Sad but true...young people get taken advantage of, often by family. Hope you find another 94 that fits and kinda' fills the hole.

See this thread is still going....guess everybody has a story to tell about the road to reloading, I've read every single one and find that its fathers and family members that start a lot of future loaders on their way. My Dad got me started hunting and shooting but never had any interest in reloading. Guess that's why I was later in life getting in to it, I credit my gunsmith buddy and the internet forums for my leading. Good Shooting Dave

About 1975, my dad came home with a handful of stuff he'd bought at an auction sale. RCBS press, scale, lube pad etc. Kind of a very small starter kit. I remember him buying some RCBS dies, Hornady bullets, Remington primers and H-4831 powder for his .243 and started reloading. He loaded for a while and then kind of lost interest. I, on the other hand became possessed. I was reading ballistic charts like Playboy. Jack O'Connor was my hero. We lived in Canada at the end of the road so there was nothing available within driving distance. Everything was bought mail order. I worked every summer and saved my money for rifles, dies, bullets and powder. My first rifle was a sporterized P-14 Enfield in .303 (I was 10 years old). I loaded for it, dad's 243 and 30-06. Was always tinkering with loads. I would get away from it from time to time, work and girls interfered (not always in that order) but always came back. It's kinda taken on a life of it's own now :oops:

I, on the other hand became possessed. I was reading ballistic charts like Playboy. Jack O'Connor was my hero.
Memorizing ballistic charts and trajectory tables, reading every word that JOC and Elmer Keith would say, never liked Warren Page. learned I was a mid caliber man like Jack and when Elmer said you could see the Promised Land with a 9 power scope it told me he wasn't a long range groundhog hunter. 🤔 Thought I was an oddball for liking that stuff more than baseball, glad to see someone else recall it besides me. Dave

WYO300RUM I was 12 when I handed it over to my uncle and getting close to 14 when I got back home.That rifle was made in the 50's and nothing I have gotten has felt as good as that old 94.
I started reloading for that rifle with a hand reloader,man that was a job.Took a while to load 20 but if I could have back any rifle I have ever owned it would be that 32 win special,hand loader and all!
Old Rooster
Wonder who has it now and what it was used for since you last had it.
Sad. :(

Welcome aboard NorthOz you got a good one in the 264, lot of coolness factor as well as a great long range 6.5. Remember my Dad bringing home a pre 64 model 70 Westerner back in about 1965, that gun was awesome. 300 win mag and 375H&H are two other good ones ya got. Nice place to learn from a lot of knowledgeable loaders and shooters as well as long range hunters. Hope you hang around and get to know us. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.