What do you think of the 6.5 WBY RPM ?

Rebated Precision Magnum , heck of a name isn't it ? Cool part about it (or maybe downside), is it uses the .473" bolt face, and can be built on about any long action. Also utilizes the 3.34" COAL.

IMO I think the 6.5/.264" class is too "busy" right now. I believe this would have been a good chance to make a fine, new 6.25mm. Unless I've missed something, the last new .25" was the WSSM.

So what do you guys think of it as it stands, and do you think my idea would have been better? Maybe even a .277", and call it the 6.8 JOM (Jack O'connor Magnum)?

View attachment 153768

Well......I like the .277 part! ;):rolleyes:

Yes the bullet selection in .277 is limited but they made them because they are wanted! The more they are used more will become available. The .270 Win. was the long range cartridge when introduced in 1925 and still is even with "standard" bullets. Yes higher BC helps, but that is no reason to down the caliber. If the manufactures would spend more time on bullets for all the fine caliber/cartridges we have and stop flooding the market with cartridges that duplicate each other we would be better off.

In my opinion the .27OWin will meet most needs of the long-range hunting enthusiasts who are looking for a light recoiling, 300-500 yard rifle, especially when one takes into account the individual's shooting capabilities. Nosler is making the 150gr, .277 bullet in their Accu Bond Long Range bullet, a ballistic coefficient of .591; and, nope it isn't a .660 BC, but....it will do what I want it to do at the distances I want to hunt with. I just built a .270AI, I getting close to 3300fps with the 150gr ABLR out of a 26 inch barrel, and still working on a load as I'm thinking theirs a little more to go. When a "new" cartridge line comes out, I will always go to the .270Win specs and compare the "new" cartridge to the "ole" (1925) cartridge to see how much of a "better" performer it is and if it is worth following. I also think that the .270WSM is a tough cartridge to beat, but....it ain't so light in the recoil department. And....something that I have found when making comparisons, that is it's always worth looking at barrel lengths when making the comparisons, especially on the overbore cartridges.

Last edited:
I switched from 257 to 6.5 because of the bullet selection. Bibb makes a 110 with a 520 bc that shoots great out of a 10 twist.i don't know why we can't have a 257 with a high bc that doesn't require a 7 twist. And all the fans of the 270 are dissed too. 6.5 and 7mm get all the great bullets. 6mm is looking real good now too. Until the gaps are filled the 6.5 and 7mm and 30 are going to be hard to beat.
Shep
John just give up on your 6.5 creed issue. Does it really matter how you make the 1200 ft pounds to kill with. And no not everybody wants a real flat shooting gun anymore. In the 80s and 90s I shot 257 wby because it shot flat and I couldn't carry a 3 ft wide military surplus Rangefinder in the field. Now rangefinders are dime a dozen and are reliable. So trajectory isn't really an issue anymore. But wind drift is because you still have to guess. So a heavy high bc bullet gives you much less wind drift than a fast light bullet. Less chance for error. The advances in bullets and rangefinders has dramatically changed long range hunting.
Shep

@Alibiiv my googlefu found nothing of a core bond long range from nosler, you have any links? Ablr is all I found and the bc on that is like 590

I sent you a PM.
@Alibiiv my googlefu found nothing of a core bond long range from nosler, you have any links? Ablr is all I found and the bc on that is like 590

You're right I made a correction on the post. Thanks for pointing that one out to me.

Shep, this is the silliest argument I've been in years. There is virtually no ballistics difference between any of the similar cartridges we are discussing. For appropriate size game I would be very happy to hunt with an appropriate 6.5 mm rifle. The reason that I don't is I have several rifles which they are so close in caliber they make little ballistics difference. For hunting I choose the rifle I believe is most appropriate to the circumsrances I will encounter on the hunt.
There is a world of difference between a 6.5 Creedmore and a 6.5-.300 Weatherby. To lump the 2 of them together just because they have the same bore diameter is silly.
Usually I prefer to hunt while elk with a .300 Weatherby using a 210 grain Nosler Accubond long range bullet launched at 3000 fps. That should satisfy any long range requirement. On occasion, depending on the circumstances, I will use either my .30-06 or my .338 Win. BAR. If you want hunt them with something else have fun.
My argument is that almost all of these cartridges are so similar that no game animal could ever discern the difference with which one they are struck. To say a 140 grain 7 mm bullet is vastly superior to a 130 grain .270 bullet of identical construction launched within 100 fp of each other is absurd.
This is a tempest in a teapot and I'd rather have a cup of coffee.

Kind of funny, I just looked at Noslers web site and it list .277 150gr ABLR BC as 591, I remember seeing it as 625 on their site and on the box, looked at midway usa the pic they show of the box shows BC as 625 but down in the spec's they now say 591. Funny how thinks change.
At any rate both are good cartridges and the same thing can be accomplished with ether one. Pick they one you like the best and enjoy.
Me I'll stick with my .270, the 6.5 just too close to the .270 to offer any advantage to get me excited. If the .270 is not enough I'll step up to my .30-06 or .300 Win. Mag. That's just what I like. Every one should be able to enjoy what they like.

Kind of funny, I just looked at Noslers web site and it list .277 150gr ABLR BC as 591, I remember seeing it as 625 on their site and on the box, looked at midway usa the pic they show of the box shows BC as 625 but down in the spec's they now say 591. Funny how thinks change.
At any rate both are good cartridges and the same thing can be accomplished with ether one. Pick they one you like the best and enjoy.
Me I'll stick with my .270, the 6.5 just too close to the .270 to offer any advantage to get me excited. If the .270 is not enough I'll step up to my .30-06 or .300 Win. Mag. That's just what I like. Every one should be able to enjoy what they like.
Amen.

Yes I saw the same thing and that was what I posted in my reply. NOW....could this be another thread about "BCs"???????? Is it .591, or...... .625?;):rolleyes:! It's been along day.

Yes I saw the same thing and that was what I posted in my reply. NOW....could this be another thread about "BCs"???????? Is it .591, or...... .625?;):rolleyes:! It's been along day.

It is because Nosler lies about BCs until they get caught with facts. Bryan Litz tested and found the advertised BCs all to be on the high side. Funny thing is even after being told they were high they are still listing them higher than actual. Oh, well does not bother me. I will never use Nosler bullets.

At this point I admire the 6.5RPM, but would like to hear more about the .270-284. Things like is it a True Short Action?

What perplexes me as avid shooters and most of us handload, why do people complain about a new cartridge. I want one in every configuration, short, medium, long; small, standard, mag, and lapua mag bolt face, along with every single caliber and lets make up a new bore size while we're at it. Sheesh!