What do you think of the 6.5 WBY RPM ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Overkill338, Oct 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

As far As cartridge design goes I think Hornaday is the only one that understands we don’t want to have our bullets shoved halfway down in the case like we used to do 60 or 70 years ago. Hornady is the only one that is designing throats the way we would if we were building custom rifles

Jud96, 25WSM and Coyote_Hunter like this.
  2. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, to long? next. creedmore x 50cal.
    wow rabbit caliber. justme gbot tum

3. Coyote_Hunter

Coyote_Hunter Well-Known Member

Agreed about Hornady. Hornady even states as much. One reason I'm interested in the 6.5 PRC is that it mimics my 6.5-06AI ballistically (just a little short on MV) and in the long action i'm thinking of rebarreling, I can seat any bullet without intrusion of the full diameter body reducing powder space.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure we needed another 6.5 cartridge.....
    Having been an avid 6.5 affectionato for many years Ive been quite interested in the recent introduction of the Weatherby RPM, and well worth thinking about given its interesting positioning by Weatherby in the now flooded field of 6.5 cartridges. At first reaction, much like other recent higher capacity offerings, I tend to fall in the camp that the high capacity cases lend inefficiency and diminishing returns, at least for medium game hunting to 1000, or perhaps even 1200 yard range, now feasible using the “sweet spot” capacity of the 6.5x284/6.5PRC cartridges with the newer heavy/highBC bullets and performance propellants. I spent my pre-6.5 years shooting the 270W and 270WSM, while they got the job done in the mid-range, with the lack of projectile selection(which persists to this day), I do agree the .270’s have taken a back seat to the 6.5’s. If It were desired, as Rfurman24 suggests, I would personally move upwards in caliber to the 280AI or 7mmMag.

5. John Polk

John Polk Well-Known Member

6. JC in Calif

JC in Calif Member

Yikes. What make was the barrel? Load?

25WSM likes this.
  7. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

the 6.5 stw is basically a belted 26 nosler, so barrel life should been north of 600, unless he took it to a prairie dog town, then I can see the 300 round mark.

8. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

Be nice if Norma could make their brass harder in the head area. I only get 8 firings on my 300wsm and it's not a hot load at all. I know how many shots are on them because I can count the ejector marks. Cheap Winchester brass last twice as long in the 300 wsm. So if the rpm has the soft brass that will stink. Hopefully adg or Peterson will make a basic version of a long 284 case. Adg brass in 6.5 Saum last twice as long as converted 7 saum Norma. Come on Norma make some brass that will last. Even if you just toughen up the hotrod weatherby brass.
    Shep

9. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

Reading through this thread makes me shake my head. People just dont understand some of this stuff. I for one am excited for the rpm. As long as the brass isnt retardely expensive or junk, I'll be building one throated for the 156 eol.

10. IanCo

IanCo Well-Known Member

Yup, being able to move a really high BC bullet over 3000fps out of any caliber is a good thing.

djm670 and Plinker147 like this.
  11. Coyote_Hunter

Coyote_Hunter Well-Known Member

\
    I get it. The 6.5RPM just doesn't solve any problems for me. Its raison d'etre, as I and others have stated before, including Weatherby, is so Weatherby can offer it in a sub 5-pound rifle.

12. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

They make more money on cartridges than they do in bullet components so they will never do what you suggest...just saying.

13. John Polk

John Polk Well-Known Member

In the mid-fifties, Winchester introduced the 264. Win. Mag. Which was greeted with mixed reviews and failed to develop a following in the shooting community as the .270 Win. and its "daddy" the 30-06 had. Suddenly with boosted help of a heavy advertising budget the 6.5 Creedmore was toted as a long-range hunting cartridge. I have no doubt it is a fine target cartridge, however, when it is compared to other cartridges balancing the variables to include comparable bullet weights with similar ballistic coefficients a very different picture emerges. Most people don't know and could care less about extremely high ballistic coefficients. They want flat shooting, lite recoiling rifles that will accomplish a specific task such as kill a deer. Whichever cartridges fulfill that need will succeed.

broish, 35 Whelen and Don A Parsons like this.
  14. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

I switched from 257 to 6.5 because of the bullet selection. Bibb makes a 110 with a 520 bc that shoots great out of a 10 twist.i don't know why we can't have a 257 with a high bc that doesn't require a 7 twist. And all the fans of the 270 are dissed too. 6.5 and 7mm get all the great bullets. 6mm is looking real good now too. Until the gaps are filled the 6.5 and 7mm and 30 are going to be hard to beat.
    Shep
    John just give up on your 6.5 creed issue. Does it really matter how you make the 1200 ft pounds to kill with. And no not everybody wants a real flat shooting gun anymore. In the 80s and 90s I shot 257 wby because it shot flat and I couldn't carry a 3 ft wide military surplus Rangefinder in the field. Now rangefinders are dime a dozen and are reliable. So trajectory isn't really an issue anymore. But wind drift is because you still have to guess. So a heavy high bc bullet gives you much less wind drift than a fast light bullet. Less chance for error. The advances in bullets and rangefinders has dramatically changed long range hunting.
    Shep

35 Whelen and Jud96 like this.