What constitutes “inherently accurate “?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 6.5s that were smoking accurate 60+ yrs ago long before the cm was even a glimmer of thought. Build any 6.5 with a new style elongated chamber for today's bullets and you have a more accurate 6.5 and many of them simply toast the cm. (.264 win, PRC, 6.5x300wby, 26 nosler to name just a few) But flat out accurate and proven time and again (30-06 has a little more oomph, but could never beat it on a 1000yd target) .308 period.

Carlos Hathcock with a .308 - If you run you'll only die tired.
He used a .30-06 zeroed at 550 meters.

Was this a USED Remington 742? Just curious. Since they can't be cleaned with a 'solid' rod from the chamber end, they get cleaned (by most people) from the muzzle end and - invariably - the crown gets all oblong shaped in no time. May 'look' fine, but pretty much a guarantee it'll need to be recut if you are getting a used one from somewhere/someone. My buddy in Oklahoma got one that shot as poorly as you described and that was the issue. Lopped off an 1/8" of barrel, re-crowned, and Bob's You're Uncle!, it was shooting great again.
It was brand new. I traded it for a bolt action 270 savage. I still own the savage.

Well our friends at Hornady (and I mean that with no sarcasm) have recently developed the A-Tip (aluminum tip - as in machined aluminum) to tweak the center of gravity for less yaw st longer ranges.

To me it's that Nth degree of experimentation that has always advanced rifle accuracy. Hornady, bless their pea-picking' hearts, have been doing this for quite a while. As well, Sierra, Berger, Barnes, etc. are busy in their little caves and workshops doing the same. So Berger comes out with a hybrid secant ogive as a result. Nice for those of us who want to fit a very high BC bullet into a magazine length COAL.

Would anyone enter a serious match with Winchester Silvertip bullets from the '70s?
Doubtful. But the A-Tips are starting to be in demand among top competition shooters.

Remember back in the early '70s the new 6 mm BR bench rest cartridge? Hmmmm, interesting shape, a shape that still influences cartridge design.

Eric B.

Last edited:
See this is the kind of crap that perpetuates the magical and mystical powers of cartridges with false advertising...Like claiming "inherent accuracy". You may not be lying, but you KNOW what you're doing to push sales by talking about all these amazing feats it conquers... They know it's going to drum up sales, and idiots are going to start thinking it's a "1 mile cartridge" now, and they'll tell/show all their idiot friends the article, etc...,etc...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...est/the-6-5-creedmoor-a-serious-one-mile-gun/

See this is the kind of crap that perpetuates the magical and mystical powers of cartridges with false advertising...Like claiming "inherent accuracy". You may not be lying, but you KNOW what you're doing to push sales by talking about all these amazing feats it conquers... They know it's going to drum up sales, and idiots are going to start thinking it's a "1 mile cartridge" now, and they'll tell/show all their idiot friends the article, etc...,etc...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...est/the-6-5-creedmoor-a-serious-one-mile-gun/
Did you read the part at the end of the article where he said he would recommend something faster than a creedmoor for 1 mile stuff? Have you ever shot a mile before? Just curious

Last edited:

Im curious did you actually read the article ? Obviously not, its just easier to bitch and moan and call everyone an idiot, I will give you credit for one thing, you are consistent in your rants...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts