What constitutes “inherently accurate “?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing as inherent accuracy? Well, the term has been around for about 140 years or so, so I kind of think there's something to it. What makes up inherent accuracy is a good question.
I know that certain pistol and revolver rounds dominate(ed) the bullseye competitions of both the past and present. The .44 Special and the .45 ACP come to mind. Both rounds seem to have or to have had an edge over the .38 Special and the 9mm Parabellum in the same types of competition pistols and revolvers. This edge seems to be present in both hand loaded and factory ammunition where pure accuracy is concerned. (part of that edge is just bullet diameter, since a .430 0r .452 SWC cuts a larger hole in the target, allowing the bullet to cover more area and cut the line for the X or 10 ring when the actual center of impact is outside the ring.) But actual group size has just been better, especially at the 50 yard mark, which is why a lot of the custom competition bullseye pistols are in some flavor of .45 ACP.
During the era of the Civil War and the period following, the Sharps rifle in .52 cal and as a cartridge rifle and the Remington Rolling Block rifle as a cartridge rifle were considered to be the best long range rifles in the U.S. and won world titles in the Creedmoor matches against all comers. But the most feared chamberings by the plains Indians seems to have been the .45-90, 45-100, 45-110 and the "big 50" of the early 1870's, the .50-90. These rounds seem to have had a combination of range, accuracy and killing power that set them apart from other cartridges of the day. (the cartridges shot in the 1874 Creedmoor match were the .44-90 Sharps 520 grain paper patched bullet, and the 44-90 Remington 550 grain paper-patched bullet. I think that 'inherently more accurate' would be a good description of the combination of Sharps and Remington rifles and the ammunition over the match grade muzzle loaders of the Irish and other competitors in these matches. Also, some of the US shooters would load the cartridge and then load the bullet from the muzzle, effectively making the rifle a muzzle loading rifle. The combination of rifle and cartridge still out-shot the competition. Also, keep in mind the team from New York (not the rest of the country-just from New York) was a scratch team that took up a challenge from a professional world champion team and beat them. They again competed in the match in Ireland in 1875, where they won by a larger margin.
The 7.62X51 NATO had a demonstrable accuracy edge at distances of 500 yards and beyond over the 30-06 in all bullet weights that the US Army experimented with at the time of its development and testing. It may not be true today, but it was then. (Part of the reason for this was that the -06 had to work in the M1 without damaging the operating system, and the M1 was designed to operate with fast powders like IMR 4895 and H 4895 which gave the -06 about a 75% fill, where it gave the 7.62X51 a 90% or better fill, resulting in a more consistent burn.)
But if I wanted to know what combinations of projectile, caliber, cartridge and powders were inherently most accurate, I'd ask Speer, Hornaday, Sierra, Remington, Nosler, Winchester or one of the other manufacturers' ballistics departments what their research shows. They shoot and develop loads under laboratory conditions with various projectiles, powders, cartridges and projectile weights for both accuracy and velocity in all the commercial loadings, using universal receivers that are bench rest accurate, and have been doing this since they began manufacturing brass, ammunition and projectiles. I'd say that if you really want an answer to this, go to the sources of the most experimental data available and see what they say. Sierra's people will answer you for sure, and so will Speer's.

IMO there are indeed inherently accurate cartridges and the way I personally define it is: they shoot pretty good (around 1 MOA) right out of the box with factory ammo from a medium value production rifle/scope combo and its really easy to find a components combination that shoots lights out all the time. I believe this is the result of case shape, capacity, flash hole size, chamber design and bore diameter vs the former. I load about 40+ cartridges and found 22 PPC, 22-250, .257 Roberts, 6mm PPC, 6.5 CM, 260 rem, 7mm-08, 308 Win and 375 H&H to be easy to get to that sweet spot...for me anyway. I don't have much experience with those mid-big bores 32-38 but I hear the .338 Lapua is pretty easy to get right. I don't currently load for bigger than .375 so no comment there. I'd say if you just need to pick up a rifle for North American hunting slap a scope on, buy some factory and go to town I'd say get a 6.5 CM and if you wanna use heavier bullets a .308 Win. While not as accurate as the other two I mention and a little out of the narrative for this thread but, if a guy only had enough $$$ for one rifle ever, I'd say get a 30-06 in a rifle you like and the best optics you can afford, feed it 165 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and travel the world killin' stuff with it from short to long range.

I would say "INHERENTLY ACCURATE" means:

1. average of 1 to 1.25 MOA accuracy from maybe 10 brands of bolt rifles (nearly same barrel length) from the same load (Ex. Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo in 6.5 CM)
2. 1 to 1.25 MOA accuracy with a variety bullets and powder charges

Eric B.

in·her·ent·ly
/inˈhirəntlē,inˈherəntlē/
adverb
  1. in a permanent, essential, or characteristic way.
    "the work is inherently dangerous"

ac·cu·rate
    /ˈakyərət/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      (of information, measurements, statistics, etc.) correct in all details; exact.
      "accurate information about the illness is essential"
      synonyms: correct, precise, exact, right, errorless, error-free, without error, faultless, perfect, valid, specific, detailed, minute, explicit, clear-cut, word for word, unambiguous, meticulous, authoritative, reliable, canonical; More

2. 2.
      (with reference to a weapon, missile, or shot) capable of or successful in reaching the intended target.
      "reliable, accurate rifles"
      synonyms: well aimed, precise, on target, unerring, deadly, lethal, sure, true, on the mark, careful, meticulous, painstaking, precision; More

i see this phase slung around for certain cartridges but what attributes or Ballistically makes a cartridge inherently accurate?
Former Hornady head ballistician Dave Emary recently wrote an article addressing this in which he cited cases with relatively little taper, high shoulder angle to allow case to center well in the chamger & long necks that prevent bullets from extending into the powder (which minimizes side-to-side forces when bullet movement begins) coupled with tight freebore to reduce yaw when rifling is engaged. Clearly the last point is a characteristic of the rifle rather than the cartridge, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

https://blog.hornady.com/the-6-5-cr...s-senior-ballistician-dave-emary-19d67388f2fc

A little codicil that I forgot to put in the earlier comment: There are certain calibers of projectiles that hit what I think of as the ballistic sweet spot. What I mean by that is that the projectiles made by the various bullet makers tend to have higher ballistic co-effecients for their weight than other calibers. Examples are the 6.5/.264 cal family, the 7mm/.284 family and the .338 projectiles, along with the .510 family of rifle projectiles. In their heavier weights, they seem to be in the .48 to the .58 G1 range. For instance, Speer lists their 140 grain GoldDot 6.5 at .571 G1 BC. Sierra lists 0.584 as their max BC with the 140 grain Matchking, and Burger bullets list a 0.629 BC for their highest BC 140 grain. The .284 caliber bullets are similar with BCs ranging from around 0.45 up to 0.62 in the 160 grain to the 175 grain range. The .338 caliber in boat tail bullets, ranges in the 250 to 300 grain bullet from a BC of 0.48 up to the Sierra 300 grain bullets, which have a BC of 0.747. These high sectional density/ high BC bullets in these calibers tend to carry better at distance, and might be more accurate in some of their respective cartridges than similar bullets in different calibers. Whether that makes these projectiles more inherently accurate, I think that it makes them better candidates for distance matches, and in the larger calibers a better longrange big game projectile.

I believe any of them can be made accurate, some of them are just more complicated getting them to that point. When someone is new to reloading, cartridges like 270 win, 308 win, 6.5 creedmoor etc... are great to start learning on. Lots of ground work already done for these cartridges.

i see this phase slung around for certain cartridges but what attributes or Ballistically makes a cartridge inherently accurate?
I would say the shooter. Caliber, cartridge, bullet etc is mute in point whithout the shooter that can make the shot.

6.5 creedmoor fills a niche and is well designed but it's still amusing where hype and industry marketing has led the masses of people to. They could have designed a great new cartridge in any caliber. 6.5/264 anything has remained low on the radar for average hunters until the 6.5 cm came along. 6.5 Cal's are all the rage now with 30 Cal's right behind them. When the 6.5 rage has saw it's heyday it will be time to pick another caliber with high bc bullets and fast twist barrel to reinvent. What will the next mass produced inherently accurate cartridge caliber be in? 270 cal? Could call it a 6.8 prc? 7mm? Could call it a 284 prc? 25 cal? Could call it a 6.something creedmoor? Don't matter which one just make it fast twist, long high bc bullets seated out long but still fit in factory actions, improved shoulder with a case capacity in the neighborhood of 30-06 or 308 and Wala! A new inherently accurate cartridge has been born.

Correct but you have to look at why everyone is shooting those cartridges. It's bc with anything else it's hard to be competitive, esp at the national level. Why spend the money and time to not be competitive?
did you ever stop and think that maybe that round is just cheaper than the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.