What cartridge?

"Most efficient" means different things to different people.

It could most literally mean "what generates the most foot pounds of muzzle energy per grain of powder burned" in which case a smaller capacity medium to big bore makes sense. 358 Winchester is crazy efficient that way, as are any of the 45 caliber short actions/ar type cartridges, like the bushmaster (and ruger makes the American ranch in that caliber) For small powder charges they deliver big hits. Some recoil tho.

Most efficient could also mean "whats the smallest cartridge that gets the job done adequately and reliably even when things aren't perfect" in which case the 6mms really are the perfect "efficient" deer cartridges. 6 creed, .243 win, 6mm rem if feeling old school. 6mm arc even. The bigger centerfire 22 cals apply as well though I think the 6mms are unquestionably better big game "efficient" rifles.

Most efficient could be referring to ballistic efficiency as in what cartridges have the least recoil and blast and require the least burdensome rifle in proportion to how flat it shoots, deep it penetrates, and how hard it hits even at distance. In this regard the 6.5s and 7mms are the obvious choices, and out of short action non magnum cases I have to give the nod to the .260 rem or 6.5 creed class.

Efficient could also mean "one chambering that efficiently can be pressed into service for the greatest variety of purposes and do reasonably well. For some "efficient" means "practical" or "versatile". The .308 Winchester is the stand alone king of that in the size of rifle you desire, with the 7mm-08 being worthy of equally serious consideration.

Just my .02, this coming from a guy who couldn't care less about efficiency and just wants to see how fast his .257 weatherby can go haha, take it for what it's worth 🤣
Agreed, I was thinking it burnt all of its powder, light recoils but yet kills well (right bullet). Since the 6 ARC was created for the AR- shorter barrel, I think it might work really well in a bolt gun. But since I have two 260's, brass and loads of 6.5 bullets, the 260 makes real sense to me. And I'm an Ackley fan but not sure this set up needs to be given the P.O. treatment.

Especially as you handload, if you NEED to be the odd man out at this point (something I relate with) for lightweight low recoil short barrel efficient versatile hunting performance inside 400 yards (as you describe) I think the 6.8 Remington SPC also holds a lot of untapped potential. Yet another of Remington's good ideas with terrible execution and marketing haha
So true, I looked at these years ago for the kids. Never bought as I simply downloaded 308 for them.

My 18" 6ARC gas gun with factory 103gr ELDX is going 2050fps with 960ftlbs at 400 yards, that's more than efficient for deer. You'll probably see close to the same velocity from a 16" bolt gun depending on the barrel. I'd 100% go with an ARC over the other options if you want light and low recoil. The Ruger gen 2 ranch should be hitting shelves soon in 6ARC too.

308 with 110 grn Hornady CX, they are intended for the 300 blackout but my 308 with 20" barrel likes them. If there are any downsides it's advantageous to not shoot critturs too close to you, probably under 75 yards as they can be explosive, the other downside is that my choice of loads means 350 yards is the point at which the energy of the bullet hits 1000 ft.lbs, slightly under at 400 yards, according to my ballistic calculator. Doesn't affect me though as my max range is 100 yards less than yours.
Barnes website has data for 110 grn 308 ttsx which you can use to start your load development, BC of the CX betters the ttsx as it has a boat tail. My 308 liked the minimum load of RL7 but the bullet has an MV of around 3000 fps. It may perform equally as well at higher velocity but for me I like it as is, less than 40 grns of powder.
My gun (Browning BLR 81) is around 7.5 pounds all up and recoil isn't an issue for this 80 year old with a rotator cuff injury on my recoil shoulder which baulks at Win 94 30/30 recoil with 170 grn factory loads
Accuracy is adequate for me.
I acquired them for the little 40 pound muntjac deer we have over here in the UK, Hornady suggests they may be adequate for up to 300 pounds, personally I'd use 130 grn tsx for larger deer like that as they carry much more energy out to 300 yards.

I never thought about a 16.5" barrel in a bolt action rifle. I also never thought of a 308win as a heavy recoiling cartridge. Interesting opinions presented here. Efficiency as defined as burning all or most of the powder within the barrel is difficult when you drop below 20" from what I understand. Oh well, it is an interesting read…..

.308 with a 130ish grn copper projectile would work great.
Oh! That reminds me of the 120 Barnes tac tx. There's also the 130 tsx and ttsx and the 110 tac tx. Anyway, the 120 is a gnarly projectile. I've loaded them to warp speed in .300 win mag, they're originally meant for .300 blackout. They do open up down to 1400-1500 fps. At 4000 fps muzzle velocity on a doe at 200 ish yard they exited no problem and instant poleaxe. But anyway, you can always load a .308 on the lighter side, but try loading a 6 arc on the heavy side….🤣

As the OP does handload….

I change my vote!

.308 Winchester. Done!

Oh! That reminds me of the 120 Barnes tac tx. There's also the 130 tsx and ttsx and the 110 tac tx. Anyway, the 120 is a gnarly projectile. I've loaded them to warp speed in .300 win mag, they're originally meant for .300 blackout. They do open up down to 1400-1500 fps. At 4000 fps muzzle velocity on a doe at 200 ish yard they exited no problem and instant poleaxe. But anyway, you can always load a .308 on the lighter side, but try loading a 6 arc on the heavy side….🤣

As the OP does handload….

I change my vote!

.308 Winchester. Done!
Why would you need to load a 6arc heavier than 103-108gr for deer? It will carry enough velocity (1600fps) to 750yds to reliably expand.

Why would you need to load a 6arc heavier than 103-108gr for deer? It will carry enough velocity (1600fps) to 750yds to reliably expand.
Oh you wouldn't for sure, I'm just making the obvious point that the .308 is still probably the king of versatility out of shorter lighter rifles like this and you can load it down to weaker power levels when full house .308 isn't really necessary or desired, but you can't load up lesser cartridges to hit like a full on "all around" rifle cartridge. That's all I meant. Perhaps "heavier" wasn't the best word for me to use there, I might have said "more powerful/less powerful" instead of heavier/lighter.

Last edited:
What's your terrain like? I absolutely love my Ruger American 350 legend and ACSS scope with the 7.62x39 reticle. My longest shot has been 250yd but the tree matches to 400. Most of my hunting is brush within 100yd but there are longer shots across the fields too. Every deer I've hit is DRT or drops **** close to it.

My other off recommendation is the 358 winchester. I'm going to experiment with that round more this summer.

Besides those two I've had a 16inc 308 and if we could hunt with it in Iowa I totally would.