What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

He said he's 5 minutes from the gulf an somewhere near a major city? He told me but it was 630am and I was hustling actually to meet a friend to go shooting and I can't remember. I've got 300 wsm, 300 weatherby and 300prc. All of them shoot extremely good with handloads. I just thought they were to big and my brain always thinks of meat damage. Maybe not such an issue with the hammers? I'm definitely going to find out more info before I go.
Bro I hate to be a stuck record, but that's an awful lot of gun to be booming around in the night. I like the smaller ones that are leveraged up with good bullets. You'll find in potential fast target acquisition scenarios and all the ruckus that can go with hog hunting, you'll be glad for a more manageable setup. It's possible the way they hunt where you're going is different. I just don't like more noise, and all that goes with it, than necessary. You just don't need it. You'll more than likely be more accurate with a more manageable setup in such fluid field situations. My vote would be on the 6.5 Creed, but if the 22 Creed is a better setup, run fast Hammers and you'll be happy.

Last edited:
They are not King Kong, people are killing them with stick and string, even pellet guns, those are the 38/357 9mm type pellet guns, but all important they are air guns. So, your 22 Creed or 6.5 Creed like Northkill mentions will be plenty.

We dispatch about 50-100 per night on some properties
our favorites are 22-250 and 308 - this one was hit with a 308 - one thing you must not do if you hit one in the wrong kill spot DONT go looking for it as this has damaged more hunters than you can imagine
One thing is if you can get your ammo loaded with Sierra Game King projectiles as they stop them quick
Have fun and try the meat

Both my creedmoors are kinda heavy but I'll do some practice off the tripod

Attachments

• 1D7AD34A-4EA4-46E9-9632-B7D4500F8219.jpeg
    1D7AD34A-4EA4-46E9-9632-B7D4500F8219.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
I definitely want to try them but I'll be going with the flow. Funny, probably trade some for elk backstrap around here just so they could try

Both my creedmoors are kinda heavy but I'll do some practice off the tripod
Good for you. Some outfits even let you use their setups. The 6.5 Grendel AR's are pretty popular. You're doing the right thing with your preparations and reaching out for input. If you can get ahold of the outfit ahead of time to get a feel for things and for what they offer and/or expect, that would be recommended.

Good for you. Some outfits even let you use their setups. The 6.5 Grendel AR's are pretty popular. You're doing the right thing with your preparations and reaching out for input. If you can get ahold of the outfit ahead of time to get a feel for things and for what they offer and/or expect, that would be recommended.
There's no outfit, just a guy I know recently moved down there invited me

All good considerations. I'm not a Hammer salesman (as you may have thought by now), but with the Hammers especially, it's more about impact velocity than it is calculated energy. Keep it above 1,800 fps and it'll do it's thing. The faster the better. With hogs, I'd probably elevate that minimum impact to 2,200 fps or so. You can't compare them to Barnes or GMX, etc. The cards are stacked significantly in your favor when you're running the Hammers. You won't believe it till you've tried it. The 22 Creed running really fast Hammers (likely over 3,500 fps) will easily out-kill some of the honorable mention "bigger" cartridges pushing traditional slugs. Only saying this because of what the OP'er is working with. His 22 CM has his preferred platform and handling characteristics. It'll get the job done handily and he can go in good conscience and confidence. Happy hunting bud.
My greatest concern about the Hammer in my .22 CM on a really big hog is penetration with enough force left to drive through vitals if the angle wasn't perfect. Let me explain: I am running a 7 twist. The heaviest Hammer Hunter that will stabilize in a 7 twist is 73 grains. The Hammer Hunter, I believe, is the iteration that retains the most weight after the shedding of the petals - 80%, I think? If I lose another 15 grains (about 20%) of the 73 grain bullet, even with the correct shape and 3500 ft/s, how far exactly would 58 grains of remaining .22 cal bullet be able to travel in a huge Russian boar over 500 lbs?

I have them on hand. I will load them and shoot them. Even hunt with them (at least once to prove whether this small of a separating projectile can be instantly lethal on large, tougher critters). I have not tried them yet, and I have heard all the rave reviews of how well they perform. I'm just a little more nervous about this small of a bullet penetrating extremely dense muscle, extremely thick bone, and a 1" armor plate of bone on either shoulder.

I have 117gr .277 cal Hammers that I will run in my newly designed wildcat (.27 Creedmoor with slightly shortened throat to optimally hold bullets up to 130 grains - I call it the .270 SDC, or Southern Deer Cartridge, built to use readily available components and be a force for deer out to 500yds). I would not hesitate to load this combination for large hogs.

I have faith in the design and reported performance, but the laws of physics are what they are. I want to try some of the 73gr Hammers vs some of the 78gr Barnes TSX on big hogs. The rifle REALLY liked the Barnes on the first and only group the rifle has shot to date. It will be hard for the Hammers to top the accuracy I got that first go. They may be just as accurate, or could be better on average, but the truth is in the terminal performance. The Barnes will retain about 73 - 74 grains of it's original grain weight. (Potentially) The Barnes can shed petals, too, at high velocity, and is considered bad if it does. Hope to find out!

My greatest concern about the Hammer in my .22 CM on a really big hog is penetration with enough force left to drive through vitals if the angle wasn't perfect. Let me explain: I am running a 7 twist. The heaviest Hammer Hunter that will stabilize in a 7 twist is 73 grains. The Hammer Hunter, I believe, is the iteration that retains the most weight after the shedding of the petals - 80%, I think? If I lose another 15 grains (about 20%) of the 73 grain bullet, even with the correct shape and 3500 ft/s, how far exactly would 58 grains of remaining .22 cal bullet be able to travel in a huge Russian boar over 500 lbs?

I have them on hand. I will load them and shoot them. Even hunt with them (at least once to prove whether this small of a separating projectile can be instantly lethal on large, tougher critters). I have not tried them yet, and I have heard all the rave reviews of how well they perform. I'm just a little more nervous about this small of a bullet penetrating extremely dense muscle, extremely thick bone, and a 1" armor plate of bone on either shoulder.

I have 117gr .277 cal Hammers that I will run in my newly designed wildcat (.27 Creedmoor with slightly shortened throat to optimally hold bullets up to 130 grains - I call it the .270 SDC, or Southern Deer Cartridge, built to use readily available components and be a force for deer out to 500yds). I would not hesitate to load this combination for large hogs.

I have faith in the design and reported performance, but the laws of physics are what they are. I want to try some of the 73gr Hammers vs some of the 78gr Barnes TSX on big hogs. The rifle REALLY liked the Barnes on the first and only group the rifle has shot to date. It will be hard for the Hammers to top the accuracy I got that first go. They may be just as accurate, or could be better on average, but the truth is in the terminal performance. The Barnes will retain about 73 - 74 grains of it's original grain weight. (Potentially) The Barnes can shed petals, too, at high velocity, and is considered bad if it does. Hope to find out!
Please try it and report back ;)