What bullet for Hunting

Greg Duerr

Ive been working up a load for my 6.5 Creedmoor and have had good success with a lot of different bullets. I do have 5 points for Elk in Nevada and my last Bull went 318 points. I learned a lot and this next Elk tag will find me spending a lot more time Doing what I did not do last time.
I Get fair accuracy shooting the 130gr Swift Scirocco .875 using H4350 or IMR 4451 I get great accuracy shooting the 130gr Berger or the 127 Barnes LRX. I'm going to get some Hornady ELD-X and try them.

Have seen some big Bulls in the area I have been putting in for ......

For those who have used any of these bullets in a 6.5 what works the best when you get up to animals the size of a mature Bull Elk

They will all work. I've used the bergers and siroccos with great results. The high retention bullets Barnes and siroccos won't expand good at long distance. Depending on the distance of your shot that could be a concern. I would go with bergers or EDLX

My last Bull was shot at just over 400yds...... But then I was using a 35 Whelen and the 200gr Barnes X,,,,,,, This will be my last Bull Elk Tag getting a bit to old for all the work an Elk Brings....

My 14 year old daughter shot her big muley buck at 637 yards with my 6.5 SLR pushing a 127 Barnes LRX @ 3020fps last November.

Entered and broke onside shoulder, took out the top of both lungs, shattered a vertebrae, and exited the off shoulder. Deer dropped on the spot without a twitch.

I would not be afraid to use them on an elk.

Ive been working up a load for my 6.5 Creedmoor and have had good success with a lot of different bullets. I do have 5 points for Elk in Nevada and my last Bull went 318 points. I learned a lot and this next Elk tag will find me spending a lot more time Doing what I did not do last time.
I Get fair accuracy shooting the 130gr Swift Scirocco .875 using H4350 or IMR 4451 I get great accuracy shooting the 130gr Berger or the 127 Barnes LRX. I'm going to get some Hornady ELD-X and try them.

For those who have used any of these bullets in a 6.5 what works the best when you get up to animals the size of a mature Bull Elk

I don't know anyone that has hunted them with a creed, but I know a girl that hunts with a 6.5x284. A couple years ago She killed a 300+ Nevada bull at 350 with a 140 Berger hunter, in 14"'of snow.

As a side note, I have 9 bonus points for a Nevada bull tag. Last year I wasn't going to be able to commit the time so I had to go for a bonus point only. Lots of snow this winter, hopefully lots of water next year and lots of green grass for them to eat. If the snow isn't killing them it may be good pickings this fall.

For what its worth the first time I hunted Elk in Nevada I saw 41 bulls in Four days of Hunting. They were everywhere. First Morning I glassed a huge 7x7 with two 6x6's . Saw them walk into the Junipers. I slipped down into them but never saw the big 7x7. Saw four other 6x6's ....... In the four days of Hunting I saw maybe 30 cows. Ended up killing my Bull that Scored 318 Witch was average. The issue was that it was really warm for that time of year.
Talked to one hunter from Montana that drew a Non-Resident tag and had missed a huge Bull four times, with his .375 H&H Magnum. Told me he froze up . Does not ever remember seeing a Bull that big ........He was the only other Hunter I saw while I was up there. That was in the end of November and the Mule Deer Rut was on ....................Glassed a lot of Big Mule Deer Bucks. It was I hunt I wont ever forget.
Area 222 South of Ely, Nevada

for me I would look at the interbond bullets, you really need them to stay together on an elk
Probably the best bullet Hornady ever produced. In 20 plus years of shooting many dozens of animals with them not once did I ever have one fail to do just what it was designed to do.

The good news is that they are back in production and starting to show up in Hornady factory ammo so it shouldn't be terribly long before they are hitting the shelves just as packaged bullets.

Greg I would not shoot a Sirocco at an Elk. They shoot extremely well but I've had too many occasions where they over expanded, flattening out to a ridiculous level and instead of tracking through the animal turn and/or flip at the wierdest angles you can imagine.

I had one strike a deer broadside impacting the sternum just below the heart that turned and went straight up into the spine, another on a big Blue Wildebeest strike the sternum head on that then shot up and out through the top of his left shoulder allowing him to run over a 1/4 mile and he still got up mad. Another that flattened out and opened up a warthog like a pizza cutter enabling her to run 200-300yds, and again, got up mad.

I've had good luck with Hornady Interbonds in numerous calibers. They cut production to ramp up for the ELD series but they are back in production in some factory ammo and should be on the shelves packaged as reloading components before too long according to a call I made to them a couple of months back. I still haven't found them for sale as yet though.

The Swift A-Frame is an excellent bullet for thick/heavy bodied game but low BC's. They are intended to be about a 200-300yds bullet max.

The Nosler Partition was developed specifically for Elk, Moose, and similar big bodied tough hided game. Not the best bullet for shots beyond 300-400yds though.

I have now shot several dozen large animals with the Peregrine Plainsmaster in my .260 including a couple of very large boars at ranges from 50 yards to 350 and even with the longer shots placed to shoot through the shoulders and spine got complete pass throughs and one shot stone dead kills after bisecting the spine and exiting through the shoulder.

If I were going to shoot an elk with the ..260 that's definitely the bullet I would make my first choice with the Hornady Interbond 2nd Choice.

Wildrose-

My father bought a pile of them an I have been shooting deer even a black bear with them my entire hunting life!! for me there is NO other bullet needed for hunting. It may not be the prettiest bullet but they do the job an do it well

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.