What caliber if not 338 Lapua?

The 7 rum and the 7stw are not ballistically equal! Barrel life is less but that is because the RUM runs more powder and more performance.
That's funny because my Berger manual shows otherwise... I think the RUM had it by about 20 fps, with 10-11 gr more powder. Somewhere around there.

Yup, that's like saying the 7stw and 7mag are virtually the same ballistically. As far as not being able to find brass goes, you can always just neck down 300 RUM brass...
Yes, I know you can neck-down .300 RUM brass. It wasn't my rifle, it was my buddy's rifle. Complain to him about his way of thinking. :rolleyes:

The 7RM and 7STW are within 150fps of each other...I'd say that's not too far off ballistically.

Side by side, the 7mm STW and 7 Ultra are pretty much equal ballistically. But the 7RUM uses about 10-15 more grains of powder to equal the same velocities as the STW. 7RUM barrel life is significantly less than the 7mm STW. Not to mention, have you tried looking for any 7RUM brass lately? I have a buddy who took apart a virtually new CDL 7RUM to build a 7mm STW, mainly because he couldn't find brass or factory ammo for the RUM anywhere.
Cool dude.

All true. Or was. I never seem to have the same issues with finding components that others do. Just lucky that way.

We all know you like the 7STW. We all have our preferences, I prefer non-belted. Don't worry, I never said the 7STW we just look at them differently.

Yes, I know you can neck-down .300 RUM brass. It wasn't my rifle, it was my buddy's rifle. Complain to him about his way of thinking. :rolleyes:

The 7RM and 7STW are within 150fps of each other...I'd say that's not too far off ballistically.

Mud, not complaining at all just stating facts. I don't want to turn this into an argument, but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. You KNOW that ballistically the 7 RUM pushes more than 20fps faster than the STW. It is more like 100+ fps. So 150fps for the 7 mag to 7 stw and 100+fps for the stw to the rum. Powder difference is right around 10-12 grains more for the mag to the stw and the stw to the rum.

So, with all the facts out there, unless the 7 mag and 7 stw are 'ballistically equal,' than the stw and the rum are not either. That is all I am saying...

To the OP, you already have 2 great guns in the .308 and the .338 Lapua. You are right on track with something that could fit in between there, the 7 mag, wsm, stw, or rum or you could look at the 300 win or rum. Any of those will fill the gap nicely. Just depends on what, exactly, you are looking for and only you will be able to decide there. Every single one of those rounds has it's positives and negatives.

Don't forget the 284 Win in the 7 mix. It already sounds like the OP has a 338......no need for another magnum 7 such as the 7 STW or 7 RUM with a capable 338 already in the house..... unless one has to have one.:D

Don't forget the 284 Win in the 7 mix. It already sounds like the OP has a 338......no need for another magnum 7 such as the 7 STW or 7 RUM with a capable 338 already in the house..... unless one has to have one.:D
That's exactly how I feel..........About a .338 caliber. :D Remember, I did have a .338 WinMag for a while. Not my cup-o-tea, and too overkill for around here. No need for a bullet that large around these parts.

"no need for a magnum .338 caliber with a capable 7mm STW in the house..... unless one has to have one."

:cool::cool::cool:

There is a country mile of ballistics between the 308 Win and the 338 Lapua. What do you want to do with it? 7mm's have a huge selection of good bullets and several good choices in cartridge case capacities to get it to do whatever you want to do. 6.5 has a few good choices. I like Lapua brass and tend to try to use their cases when I can. The 6mm is a sleeper with great choices of bullets. In 30 cal I really like the 300 RUM with heavy bullets but it ends up being up the scale towards the Lapua in performance than the ones listed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.