What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

Attachments

• IMG_20180604_223359.jpg
    IMG_20180604_223359.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
If i were going to build something for distance I wouldn't limit myself to a caliber that was just for deer, so i would aim at 7's or 30's - just my opinion. Plenty of solid options and get the twist you want for heavy or LW bullets - whatever your flavor is.

I just don't see building a heavy long range rifle in a 6.5 which is great, but a dime a dozen if it wasn't for bench shooting. If i'm building a hunting rifle I'm going to have options, chances of you shooting a gun like this 2000 rounds without just living at the range or your range is wishful thinking.

But all that said 260 with the right twist is a solid performer, but any different than a creedmoor? Probably not - prc, rpm - plenty of good "deer" calibers. Your 7mm-08 would be as well, pretty vanilla to spend that kind of money.

I still go back to not limiting myself to just deer. You can have a couple loads for 7's in stw, prc, and many others from 150s to 195's.

But if this is truly a deer/antelope gun, and your a one gun man spend the money get what you'll love because chances of you getting anywhere close to your money out of it would be slim to none. You see them all day long listed with build sheets, begging for half. I've got a couple too, just things to think about. All that said - hope you get what you love and I hope she's a shooter!

I built a hoss of a rifle in 7mm stw - LH rifle like you she doesn't get shot allot, but i sure love it when I do. I'll have to give it to one of my LH son's and i'm fine with that.

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
I'm lefty too an I just got a proof research in 6.5 prc. So far I'm loading 123 gr scenar an 130 swift/nosler accubond both bullets w 56.0 grains of H4831sc. Great groups an awsome on deer.

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
Some states specifically list minimum caliber.
Check out the energy at your velocity and bullet to confirm your load will get the job done. Last idea: whatever load you choose should place a bullet inside a 1 MOA target. Get that done and most any caliber (24 or larger) will get the job done.

I would imagine that in Alabama, you would like your white-tail to drop where it stands and not run off into the woods / briars / swamp. To do that at 600 yards I think you're going to need a big magnum, so you may want to keep your current .270 as-is for range gun and shorter-range hunting.

For a 600 yard shooter in the US Southeast, I'd pick a 300 RUM / improved Norma Mag / Lapua Mag.

The newer powders (Staball 6.5) have changed a lot of cartridges. My 708 loses 150-175 fps with tradition stuff.. ie Varget (which is very accurate in mine)
i live and develop loads on the warm gulf coast and hunt in the much colder Texas panhandle so I won't attempt to hunt / shoot LR with non- temp stable powders. The Staball 6.5 ball powder is a game changer in 708.
If I had to buy factory ammo, doubt I would shoot a 708, options are just old school **** poor compared to what this cartridge can do when hand loaded with modern components.

The newer powders (Staball 6.5) have changed a lot of cartridges. My 708 loses 150-175 fps with tradition stuff.. ie Varget (which is very accurate in mine)
i live and develop loads on the warm gulf coast and hunt in the much colder Texas panhandle so I won't attempt to hunt / shoot LR with non- temp stable powders. The Staball 6.5 ball powder is a game changer in 708.
If I had to buy factory ammo, doubt I would shoot a 708, options are just old school **** poor compared to what this cartridge can do when hand loaded with modern components.
Oh I am going to order some 6.5 right now! :D

My Remington 700(s) factory, with Gentry muzzle break, Boyd's pillar bedded stock, Jewel trigger, barrel free-floated,

140g Nosler ballistic tips shoot 2.5-3" at 600 yards,
140g Nosler BT
Rem brass
9 1/2 primer
bullet seated to just barely touch the lands, not a jam
65.5-66g of IMR 4350
3200 fps plus depending on the barrel
100 yard groups are a bullet hole opened up
Scopes are high power, 6x24 and 8x32

150g Nosler ballistic tips/150g Nosler C/T
Rem brass
WINCHESTER Mag primer
72-73g of R#25, Start your load work up at 68g, SD is less than 9 fps
Bullet just barely touching the lands
3200 fps plus
Groups at 100 are a single bullet hole, opened up
Groups with the 154g Hornady Sp are tiny also
Hint, sort bullets by ogive length, and keep the copper out of your barrel.

Same barrels
168g Berger vld hunting
71g of Retumbo
Fed 215
Rem brass
Play with bullet jump
3050-3100 depending on the barrel, start your load work up at 68g

You will not shoot these small groups IF your barrel is loaded with carbon and copper. My cleaning regiment is down to bare metal every 20 shots to keep these barrels shooting this way. When shooting off of a rifle rest, Hold the forearm down instead of squeezing the rear bag with your left hand.
Great reply with good data except I couldn't find your caliber listed in your comments!! ???

No need to run a short action cartridge in a Rem 700 long action gun. The factory mag length allows 3.600" with no modifications. Going with a Wyatt's extended box allows options out to 4.000"

I would personally stay long action cartridge and do something along the lines of a 280 AI or even a plain Ol' 30-06. Both of those get you to 600 yds easily and meet your criteria. Doing a magnum such a a 7 RM or even 300 WM is also a good option with the mag length of a Rem 700 LA.

How about a 25 prc Launching Berger 133's or 135's at 3250 fps. 1:7.5 or 1:8 for twist. Flat shooting, Low recoil and enough energy for elk to 750 yards...Long action, long throated.