What caliber? 6mm rem or 25-06

midwesthunter

I will be doing some antilope hunting this fall and was wondering what calliber would work best for ranges out to 400 yards? I already own both but don't know too much about either. I will be reloading, and have herd the 25-06 is very load stingy? Rumor? I could take my 30-06 but wanting to leave it scoped in for bigger game and not change bullet wieghts. Thanks TJ

115grn with RL22 or IMR4831 will do quite nicely in a 25-06. If you want the added weight, I downed quite a few Whitetails with the 120 Sierra Game King. Works like a charm. At that distance for that rifle, BC will play very little unless you have some pretty stout winds. This should offer better barrel life.

To confuse you even more, the 6mm in a 115 is the heaviest, and give you awsome ballistics. What twist is on the 6mm? Even if you could shoot the 105 A-max or the 107 Sierra, you will have a great caliber for antelope at longe range.

Just my humble opinion,

Tank

I would go with the .25-06 Rem using the 100gn Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Barnes TSX. I have not tried the TTSX or the MRX from Barnes so with those I can't advise, but the first two I've used. I shot 125-150lb whitetails with them and they just can't stand it.
Load stingy? I have a .25-06 Sendero that has shot everything from the 75gn Sierra to the 115gn VLD Berger very well, with the exception of the 75gn V-Max. At 400yds this quarter bore still has plenty of steam to outrun and mow down a speed goat. JMO. JohnnyK.

Either will work fine. I also like the 100NBT in the quarter bore. I used them with excelent results out of a 257 roberts out to 500 yards. The 100 SMK has been working great also good 2" exits.

Either will work fine. I also like the 100NBT in the quarter bore. I used them with excelent results out of a 257 roberts out to 500 yards. The 100 SMK has been working great also good 2" exits.

+1 for the 100 grain Nosler BT out of the 25-06

I have both calibers and have killed antelope with both. I also like 100 NBT out of the 25, the 110 AB is also a great bullet and gives you a little more BC. In my 6mm I shoot 105 A-max's and have killed my two best antelope with them. Great BC and they shoot really well if you have the proper twist in your rifle, you need a 1 in 9 or so. It really is a toss up at 400 yards, very little differance overall. If you are going to WY and have doe tags take both !!!!!

Hi there.
I know nothing about the 6mm,but but with the 25-06 I have shot an Elk bull,Red deer stags,wild pigs,chamois,and Himalayan Bull Tahr (renowned for their tough skin and very muscular bodies)
The furthest shot to date was at 600metres on my rangefinder.
It (the 25-06) punches well above it's weight with great ballistics.
I use 55g of ADI 2213sc available here in NZ.
117g SST and winchester brass with federal LRPrimer.for3010fps
I won't be changing any time soon.
Thats my ten dollars worth.
Regards.

Last edited:
I am a 6mm Rem user. I use the Sierra 100gr SBT under a healthy stack of H4831.

However, for antelope, the 25-06 is a classic rifle for these critters.

+1 for the 100gn NBT. My 257wby loves them. I've never had an animal take more than one step after the first (and only) shot.

Southpaw

you don't say what the 6.5 -284 model you have it in . but i would use it for the buck and shoot the does with the 6mm and the 25-06. bullet choice is 120 bt for 6.5. begers would be good in the 25 and 6mm and balistic tips.

I'd go with the 25-06 and use either 100g or 115g NBT's.

I've only killed 2 antelope, 1 with a 300 Win mag 180g NBT at about 250 yards, DRT, and the 2nd with a 25-06 and 117g SGK at 550 yards, also DRT.

25-06 has enough power to kill antelope waaaaaaaay out there.

I've had 4 25-06's over the years and not 1 of them was ever finicky with loads. Matter of fact, they have been some of the better shooting calibers/rifles I"ve owned by far and weren't picky what so ever when it came to bullets or powders.

Theres nothing wrong with the 6mm though...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.