25-06 rem thoughts

I think the moral of this story is you want the bullet to stay in the animal, expending all it's energy. I would guess, and this is just a guess, that at 200 yards the 117gr GKs are not traveling fast enough to expand enough upon impact to slow down enough to stay in the animal. I would also guess that huge exit wounds, although impressive, show that much energy was not imparted to the animal, and that energy instead followed the bullet out.

Of course I could be blowing a bunch of smoke.

Hicks

Hicks,

You would have to develop a load for every distance and weight of animal that you may possibly shoot in order to keep the bullet in the animal. I used to subscribe to this theory as well, but physically it is not logical.

The only way to insure a good killing shot, is with full penetration, from a bullet that creates a large permanent wound channel.

As far as the energy goes, there is relatively little of it. If the bullet struck the animal and did not penetrate at all, like hitting a steel target, the energy the same or less than the recoil that hit you in the shoulder. Go punch an elk in the ribs as hard as you can and see if it kills him.

In a nut shell, the bullet must expand in a controlled manner so as to retain enough mass to penetrate fully. The more blunt the shape that the expanded bullet takes the larger and more permanent the wound channel will be. The speed and shape of the expanded bullet are going to be relative to the size of the wound channel.

Having a bullet that partially penetrates is not as good as full penetration.

Perhaps we should start another thread on this subject, this is the stuff that I find fascinating.

Steve

Thanks guys for all the considered comments and first hand performance results.

I have made many one shot kills with the 264 that I had, and my current 7mm Rem Mag. Both strike like lightning. But as I age I feel less like carrying a heavy (ugh) rifle all day, and somewhat less like handling the recoil, tho I have never been recoil sensitive. I guess my thinking is I can finder a light(er) rifle with a 26" barrel(thats just me) with less recoil and good accuracy and striking power for long ranges. I'm leaning toward the 270 as it's a bit more horsepower on the killing end than the 25-06. I just thought that the 25-06 being a 257 calibre would fit with the recommendations of my long dead uncle who was a professional ballisitician for the US Army. He carried 257 Roberts all his life and late in life bought him a great new 257 Wby. He could never stop talking to me about .257s

I guess I am researching this so much as its a sort of a 'life change' thing. I carried the 264 for 20 yrs, and carried my 30-06 for 20 yrs, and killed game with my 7mm Rem Mag too. I even got the wife into a 30-06 after we came here to COlo as I thought her .243 was a big light for elk. But I am not changing her rifles as they are custom stock length just for her. ALso am thinking 25-06 ammo would be cheaper than 7 mag.

I guess finding the perfect all around calibre is like seeking the holy grail. I do suspect tho that my focus on the 270 and 25-06 is somehwhat the correct area to focus on.

Last edited:
There are very few cartridges between .257-300s that couldnt be argued as being all around best for ground hogs to elk. With such a wide selection of of bullets available in all calibers from highly frangible to tough controlled expansion bullets you can make a small caliber penatrate well for the elk and a larger 30 caliber round provide explosive performance on g-hogs.

Now if you hunt nothing larger then deer and small black bear you could easily include the .243s in the mix. If you hunted nothing smaller then deer and a good bit of large bear or elk a .338 could be an excellent choice.

I saw an arguement for the 6mmbr being an ideal all around caliber if you hunted nothing larger then deer. Great for varmints, kick some tail in your clubs informal matches and load up a 90 grain ballistic tip to slay deer inside of 300 yards or so. Not to mention extremely cheap to reload for.

Bottom line pick whats best for you or interest you at the moment, dont listen to anybody that tries to tell you a certain round is a magical sure fire death to anything from rodents to woolly mamoths or those who tell you any of the sensible rounds wont reliably kill (insert your choice of game here).

Dead is dead and a hole through the heart or lungs is a hole an will make them stop working.

Some prefer a bullet to disinegrate inside an animal with no exit as all the energy used, some prefer the bullet to exit so there is normally a better chance at having a good blood trail to followe and to insure that the bullet doesnt just break up on a bone before getting to the vitals. Then there are some ppl that dont know what they want and make radical statements that make no sense.

Take your pick an go hunting!

Silvertip - I've never regretted my decision to try a .25-06 for my general-purpose hunting rifle. It rapidly became my favorite because it's light, easy to carry, has minimal recoil & muzzle blast and does a fine job on game. I'm primarily an open-country mule deer hunter, and I shoot coyotes and rockchucks too. The .25-06 has been a delight to carry and hunt with.

4x4 mule deer:
WyobuckZ.jpg

3x3 mule deer:
mulie05A-1.jpg

Coyote last week:
da552040.jpg

I have more accurate rifles. I have more powerful rifles. This one though, is easily my favorite hunting rifle. By the way - if you're a handloader, the .25-06 is very easy to load with many different combinations of powder and bullets available.

Regards, Guy

I got two of my four spare rifles sold and and am trying decide between buying a 270 and 25-06 for all round use( voles to elk ). Can I get some more input on the 270 vs 25-06 thing? From my research so far it looks likethe 270 trumps the 25-06 as it shoots flatter farther and hits harder. Ammo cost seems nearly the same.

Last edited:
I don't have nor have used a 25-06. I like the concept but I really like my 257 Roberts.

I also like the 270, I just got a new Win Mod 70 Featherweight in 270. I lucked out in as much the wood on the 270 is almost a perfect match to my Featherweight in 257. Personally I think the 257 Rbts is a bit light for elk, thats why I got the 270.

Now for the 25-06. I heard rumers that someone has started making a 130 grn bullet in 257. If thats true, then I think the 25-06 would be a perfect replacement for both the Roberts and 270. Assuming the barrel twist was available for the 130 Grn.

Of course this is speculation on my part, If one could only have one (which would really suck) then I think the 25-06 would be perfect.

I have several Big Guns but in reality, in the lower 48 I don't seen any reason for anything bigger the the 270. (Don't tell my wife I said that).

When you put Elk into the mix I would go with the 270 Win. also. For deer size game I would stick with 130 gr bullets but for Elk I would go with a good 140 or 150 gr bullet. The 110 gr Hornady V-max is great for varmints. If I had to use my 25-06 on Elk I would use the 120 gr Speer Grand Slam bullet. I have shot from chest to hams through deer with this bullet in my 25-06. One was as close as 50 yards and the bullet would be moving at least 2900 fps at that point and the bullet entered the brisket and I found this one in the ball socket of the right ham. It is th eonly 120 GS bullet I have ever recovered. It was a perfect mushroom and weighed 87 grs. If it will shoot through almost 5 feet of deer with impact at high velocity it will shoot through the heart lung area of any Elk that ever walked. As with any caliber rifle you must place your shot where it is supposed to go to have a clean kill. I stopped using the 120 GS on deer because I like a softer more expansive bullet like the 117 Sierra's. I have a 270 Win. and I use the 130 gr Sierra or 130 Nosler ballistic tip's on deer. I mainly got this rifle because it was a good deal and in case I ever get to take an Elk hunting trip. If I do it will be loaded with either a 150 Speer Grand Slam or Nosler Partition.

I don't know that the .270 shoots flatter - although I suspect that depends greatly on the bullet - but with elk on the menu, I'd favor the larger cartridge. I know hunters who've taken elk with their .25-06's, but for me it shines more in the varmint, predator and deer category.

FWIW, Guy

You could always do worse like with a 7mm Mag. Worst caliber we found for shooting deer. They run off to far after taking a good hit.

I have hunted many years with a 7mm RM and have shot a couple dozen deer and antelope with it, a large 6 pt bull elk and a B&C bighorn ram. Nothing ran off more than 50 yds and most dropped in their tracks. All one shot kills excepet the ram which I put 3 into, but he was dead after the first one, just didn't know it, and didn't go anywhere but a couple steps down hill.

As for the 25-06, I've never shot one but I know a lot of guys who like them. They are a popular cartrdige and I came close to getting one in a Cooper. But after looking at the ballistics between that and a 2700, I decided I liked the 270 a little better. It can push a 110 gr bullet 3450 fps out of a 26" bbl and a 130 gr bullet at 3100.

As others have said, the 25-06 is a great deer and antelope gun but not my pick for an all around. You could take elk with it, but you would have to be picky about shots and a larger cartridge would make me feel a lot better. IMO an all around rifle would be something lika a 300 Mag and the 25-06 would great to take varmitting, antelope and maybe deer.

I made the previous post before reading the entire thread, which is something I should know better than to do.

RT, I don't discount your experience with the 7mm, I can only relate mine. I have heard a guide tell me he has seen a few of elk run off after being shot clean through by 7mm mags. But at the same time, he does not recommend a 25-06 or even a 270 for elk hunting. He is a 300 mag fan as am I.

As for best all around and flatter, farther, harder hitting... The 270 is a step up from the 25-06, and the 7 mag is a step up from the 270 and the 300 mag is a step up from the 7 mag. The higher you step the more flexible your shot opportunities are as far as distance, shot angles and windage. Bottom line, what are you comfortable with and how much flexability do you want? I am very comfortable with a 300 WSM and have a lot of flexabillity with it. Someday I also plan to get a sweet shootin' 270 Cooper.

The discussion about terminal ballistics, energy, penetration, etc., is always interesting. I have heard so many stories with such different results that I believe you can almost never completely count on a specific result. Having said that, a well placed shot with a well performing bullet is always the best bet. I like catastrophic damamge, but not too much damage. I hate seeing useless blood shot meat.

With that, I'll be off to South Eastern Montana later today to do a little scouting and make antelope camp in an early season blizzard. The wind is blowing about 50 mph here right now. Not real good long range conditions.

Cheers,

Mark

Again it depends on what you intend to use the cartridge for. I have taken six elk with a 243 Win. They were all calm and I wasn't competing with droves of hunters to tag it after the kill. The 25-06 is great for its intended purpose, but I would not choose it to hunt elk or griz if given the choice.

Neal

Silvertip - I've never regretted my decision to try a .25-06 for my general-purpose hunting rifle. It rapidly became my favorite because it's light, easy to carry, has minimal recoil & muzzle blast and does a fine job on game. I'm primarily an open-country mule deer hunter, and I shoot coyotes and rockchucks too. The .25-06 has been a delight to carry and hunt with.

4x4 mule deer:
WyobuckZ.jpg

3x3 mule deer:
mulie05A-1.jpg

Coyote last week:
da552040.jpg

I have more accurate rifles. I have more powerful rifles. This one though, is easily my favorite hunting rifle. By the way - if you're a handloader, the .25-06 is very easy to load with many different combinations of powder and bullets available.

Regards, Guy

...uhhh I think I am sold on the 25-06. Darn nice pics, thanks for sharing them with us.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.