what caliber? .243 win or 250 savage?

sh13lds21

so im wanting to get a new gun for coyote/blacktail hunting and was wondering which one would be better? and what guns should i look at? im looking to shoot out to 800 yards or so on coyote and about 300 to 400 or more on deer.

I'm pretty new to the long range shooting and this forum so what would be some good threads i could read or any websites i should look at?

Thank You
Ryan

.25-06 would get you some more gas, but of the two, I'd say .243.....More common and great BC bullets are now available. As far as what to get, I'd get either remington 700, Howa 1500/Vanguard SII, or a Savage. Any of those are cheap with tons of aftermarket support for later. If you want a really great action(smooth) with a really great trigger(crispy like a cracker) Tikka t3. All of these will fit your need nicely. Handle some and see what you like.
Nimrod

I'd say take a look at the 6.5's/260's. Better overall ballistics, and some incredibly high BC bullets that will beat anything in either the .243 or .257's that are available.

For predator type hunting An AR Platform similar to mine would be ideal.

As far as bolt guns go, you can have one built, check the classified ads here and over at sniper's hide and find some very nice deals.

Of course if you just want to go with a factory rig I'm a big fan of the Remingtons because with very little work most of them can be turned into real shooters.

It all depends on your budget and personal preferences.

The target below was shot with 130gr Scirocco II's at 300yds from the back of my truck using the tail gate for a bench and a bucket for a chair.

Attachments

• AR260300yds.jpg
    AR260300yds.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 241
  • AR260.jpg
    AR260.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 189
You really can't go wrong with either, I've killed a pile of deer with an old Savage 250-3000 out to the 400 yard mark and it's my personal favorite deer rifle, knocked quite a few elk down with it also. It was rebarreled to a 250 AI and that just made it that much sweeter, shoots super good with 115 Bergers and the 120 Hornady up around 3000 fps, the 120 really has done a good job on the elk and longer range deer!!!

Like the 243 also but the 250 is just my favorite, it's just so mild and easy going till it puts the smack down on deer!!

400 or more lends itself IMHO a little larger than .243. More being the key phrase here. It is like a drug upon which thre is no cure. More turns exponential quick like. Why not a 6.5? .243 out to 400 is fine wih right bullet and placement any more i would go bigger. Warning 6.5 will also want more in a couple of years. Just something to think about.

400 or more lends itself IMHO a little larger than .243. More being the key phrase here. It is like a drug upon which thre is no cure. More turns exponential quick like. Why not a 6.5? .243 out to 400 is fine wih right bullet and placement any more i would go bigger. Warning 6.5 will also want more in a couple of years. Just something to think about.
Well the "more thing" is easily solved with multiple long range rifles! gun)

I start with the .220 swift, the the 260 AR, the the 7mm STW, and the 300 Rum to round off the "top end"... .

Who said this stuff is addicting?:D

Here's some rigs you might want to look at for ideas if nothing else. Not knowing your budget and desires there are just soooo many ways one can go.. .gun)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3340168#Post3340168

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3337838#Post3337838

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2569042#Post2569042

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/6-5x284-hunting-gun-92704/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/nighthawk-custom-6-5x284-rifle-92936/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/3-custom-rifle-priced-sale-91809/

Note if you go with the 6.5x284 you will be reloading or buying from a custom loader because factory ammo is very hard to come by.

The above are about as "top of the line" as one can go.

so im wanting to get a new gun for coyote/blacktail hunting and was wondering which one would be better? and what guns should i look at? im looking to shoot out to 800 yards or so on coyote and about 300 to 400 or more on deer.

I'm pretty new to the long range shooting and this forum so what would be some good threads i could read or any websites i should look at?

Thank You
Ryan

Ballistically very similar but the .243 would give you a better bullet selection and brass options etc. I would strongly consider one of the 6.5's if it were me. The .260 Remington would be the most logical for no fuss shooting.......Rich

Thank You
Ryan
Here's another one I came across in a ready to go package deal that should be an absolute nail driver.

.300wsm would be a great cartridge for your needs as well.

WTS - FN SPR A1 300 WSM Leupold M3A - Sniper's Hide Forums

Not as cheap to shoot as the .308 or .260 but certainly quite affordable.

For that matter a .308 in a highly accurate platform such as the 5R remington varmint and tactical models would do quite well for you too. I just am not one who really considers the .308 as a great varmint hunting round.

Ballistically of course the .260 flat eats up the .308win for flat shooting which is one of the reasons it was my choice for the same applications you are looking at.

thanks for the replys! ive been trying to do as much research as i can and it is making my head hurt. i want to start with a new gun so i can build it up and not start with someone elses project they are tired of.

so im looking to spend around $1000 on a factory gun (can go more if its worth it). this is actually going to be the first gun i personally buy! i have other guns that have been handed down that all i do is shoot and dont want to modify.

so after all the research ive done i feel more lost then when i started, i read that .243 shooting long range loads burn barrels up quickly. i really dont know any thing about the 6.5's yet. i do plan on doing my own reloads but dont want to put a ton of work into it other than powder and bullet choice.

i really appreceiate all the info and im doin as much research as i can. If you havent already noticed im a pretty big newb at this stuff so anything helps!

thanks for the replys! ive been trying to do as much research as i can and it is making my head hurt. i want to start with a new gun so i can build it up and not start with someone elses project they are tired of.

so im looking to spend around $1000 on a factory gun (can go more if its worth it). this is actually going to be the first gun i personally buy! i have other guns that have been handed down that all i do is shoot and dont want to modify.

so after all the research ive done i feel more lost then when i started, i read that .243 shooting long range loads burn barrels up quickly. i really dont know any thing about the 6.5's yet. i do plan on doing my own reloads but dont want to put a ton of work into it other than powder and bullet choice.

i really appreceiate all the info and im doin as much research as i can. If you havent already noticed im a pretty big newb at this stuff so anything helps!

You first learn by asking questions then you move on to experience. Good job!.....Rich

We were all noobs at one time. Your generation of noobs however has the advantage of the internet, where mine did not. For my generation learning was primarily by trial and error which of course gets very, very expensive when you're talking guns and ammo.

Honestly and truly for your applications and requirements the .260/6.5's are absolutely perfect. They are also very affordable to shoot especially if you are going to handload. Even if you don't if you shop around a little bit you will find that even semi custom loaded factory ammo is not at all unreasonable and loaded to very high tolerances which can give you near handload precision.

Check those classified links out that I posted for you. There's some really great rigs there at reasonable prices.

My first deer rifle was a 250-3000 in a savage model 99 with open sights. I took a lot of blacktails with that rifle. It is still one of my favorite rifles. Although I have not shot it in a couple of years. That being said I feel that there are far better calibers out there. I really like the 25-06 and the 6.5x55 swede. I am new to long range shooting as well. So these other guys know far more than I do. Just my opinion.

6.5-284 in a savage and you will not regret buying too little of a rifle for long range deer. Great bullets in the 6.5 and superb long range performance. The savage 116's are about as good as you can get without braking the bank for a custom build. If you don't like the 6.5-284 (you will LOVE it) you can put another barrel on it for around $250.00. DIY with a vice and the nut wrench that comes with the barrel kit.lightbulb Last Remington I bought ( 2010) had the finish bubbling and shot terrible , 3MOA , even after bedding. I am sending it off for truing and a new barrel. My new model 16 savage shot 1MOA right out of the box and after bedding and load work @ .6MOA:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.