What do you think 25-06 or .264???

Mortgage Man

I am looking to get a gun that I can shoot coyotes/antelope/deer with. I was in the gun shop the other day looking at a 25-06 and the salesman recommended that I look at the winchester 264. I don't knowmuch about this caliber at all. I understand that it is a beltless magnum round which makes it a little big for coyotes. But how do these two calibers compare as far as velocity and performance? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking to get a get that I can shoot coyotes/antelope/deer with.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 243 would be number 1 on my list. the 264 min mag is a belted mag that is also a barrel burner for a varmint gun.... if that matters. unless there is a new 264 win i didnt know about?

I'm sure its the same caliber. I must have got some bad information. The 264 being a barrel burner doesn't concern me all that much. I looked at the 243 and I was actually trying to decide between the 243 and the 25-06 before they told me to check into the 264. I was also looking at getting a 6mm because my dad has one and its a shooter.

25-06 would be great out to 600-700 yards on deer and coyotes. I'm on my 2nd one now and prefer the 115g btip at 3100fps or so. The 243 would also not be a bad choice, but I prefer the 25-06 and the 115g bullet vs. the 6mm 100g bullet for deer. For coyotes I would probly rather havea 243. The 264 is indeed a belted mag and the barrel life is 1/2 that of the 25-06. My last 25-06 lasted around 3000 rounds before accuracy was going south. The 25-06 has always been accurate for me, it doesn't recoil much more then a 243, and kills a lot better then it shouold IMO. I have taken everything from squirrels to black bear with mine from ranges 50-600 yards with the 115g NBT at 3100fps with nothing but good to say.

Sounds like the gun shop owner had a 264 win mag he has not been able to sell. If it is a new Rem Sendaro it would make an awsome long range rifle aot past 1000 yards but if you are limiting your shots to around 7-800 yards a fast twist 6mm like a 243AI 8 twist would be good but as you cant buy one off the shelf the 25-06 would be mychoice and if you want a bit more of a good thing have it trued up and the chamber opened up to 25-06Ackley that is all you would need for your aplication but choice is what it is all about. If you are primarily using it for varmint shooting get a good quality muzzle break fitted aswell and you can see your impacts at long range and spot for yourself if you are on your own in any of the above calibres.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH 25-06. I SHOOT A CUSTOM 25-06 IF I AM AFTER ANYTHING COYOTE TO DEER SIZE. MINE HAS A MUZZLEBREAK AND DOESN'T HARDLY KICK, BUT YOU WILL ONLY SHOOT IT ONCE WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION. MINE IS A REMOVABLE BREAK WITH A THREAD ON CAP FOR HUNTING. GOOD LUCK

[ QUOTE ]
If it is a new Rem Sendaro it would make an awsome long range rifle aot past 1000 yards

[/ QUOTE ]

Both guns I am looking at are remington senderos, the 264 and the 25-06. I am looking to get a gun that I can do alot with. Most likely antelope hunting and varmint hunting is what I will primarily be using this gun for.

My vote is for the .264 don't get me wrong I like the 25/06 but out to 1K I'd feel better with the heavier slugs.

As far as being a barrel burner I'm not convinced (never seen any definitive proof) it would burn a barrel up much faster than a 7mm Mag.

What distance do you want to shoot them to? That is the Question if it is to 7-800 yards the 25-06 if past the 264 Win Mag. If you are going to be shooting hundreds of varmints quickley the 25-06 will last a lot longer but if you are looking to push the envelope in distance the 264 does have a huge advantage in wind drift and high BC projectiles available for it. Both will work well for your intended game but the distance you shoot them is the factor here. The coment about taking the muzzle break off for hunting wear hearing protection if you take it off you still loose hearing i have found out this like manu others the hard way i use electronic earmufs and they actualy enhance the sounds and help while hunting aswell as protecting your ears. The advantage with the 264 is if you want to step up to a ultra mag based case next your rifle only needs minor modifications if you want to shoot further the 25-06 would need more work but still can be done.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The 25-06 will do what you are looking for BUT a 264 Win mag is an awesome round and like the others said can get you to 1k w/more energy and less drift. I assume you are reloading your own...

I'm a little late for this post but the 25-06 gets my bid. 1/4 bores are great. The 25-06 is lite on the recoil and has some real good accuracy I would agree out to 7-800 if you do your job. This round is very easy on barrel life and very easy to load for. I believe you can usually find off the shelf ammo if your were in a pinch. I would not really concider this a varmint round at least for P-dog but it would definatley work. The 243 is a good round and only a dummy would say differant but the 25-06 has better reach and versitilty. You stated, coyotes for your varmint, I believe this would be a great coyote deer and antolope round for shure. I don't feel you can"t go wrong with the 25-06. The 264 is nice but if you want more reach just go with a 25 STW, 257 weatherby, or a Scramjet
Just be carefull the 1/4 bores are additive.
Good luck

RH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really appreciate everyones advice on this subject. I am only going to be shooting 600-700 yards max. So I went and put a 25-06 on layaway for christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I definitely will, it was the last sendero they had!! What kind of loads and bullets are you guys shooting in the 25-06? Or I can just do a search propably /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.