What bullet should I try in my 30-06

Hammer 166... Initial cost is somewhat offset by ease of development. Here is the first five out of the 06, each is a one grain increment, not too finicky. 4350 and enjoyView attachment 149641

Mr MTHEAD , how far off the L&G's did you seat the Hammer166 when you started your load development ? I have always used Barnes and they are seating depth sensitive . The Hammers are suppose to be less sensitive to seating depth but have not tried them as yet . Thanks in advance , Floyd
I know this wasn't directed at me but with my 30-06 and 166 HH I just put them to run mag length and made sure they were off the L&G, never touched them after that. It was the same with all the rifles I've loaded them in.

Thank you Sir , this is a new build with deep throat , does the 166 Hammer have enough integrity to shoot Elk ? I have shot Barnes for over 40 years with exceptional results , but have other 30 calibers with much more speed that I would also load the hammer into . T.Y. , Floyd

Hey guys I've got a bergera b14 Hunter in 30-06 that is super finicky with ammo. I've tried 165 gmx, 165 interlocks, 180 ballistic tips, 178 eldx. Tried them with imr 4350, h4350 and the heavy two with h-4831sc. Also tried rl16. Anyways the only bullet I've been a able to get to shoot was a 190 gr nosler custom competition with h4831sc. It shoots around .7 moa. It's not a hunting bullet but my wife shot her black bear and deer with it last year and it killed them both very well. Both shots were around 250 yards. Anyways its looking like I'm going to be borrowing her rifle for an up coming elk hunt I've got. I was really wanting to use a bullet I'd have more confidence. Are there any other bullets that you guys know of that I should try? Maybe something similar? Would an accubond be worth a shot? I was hoping the 180 ballistic tips would be build close to them but they didn't shoot well. All these other bullets are around 1.5-2" at 100 yards. Should I just go hunt elk with these target bullets?
I've had great luck with 180 gr. Accubonds ! The 30-06 also shoots the 165 grain bullet well ! Worth a try !

Hey guys I've got a bergera b14 Hunter in 30-06 that is super finicky with ammo. I've tried 165 gmx, 165 interlocks, 180 ballistic tips, 178 eldx. Tried them with imr 4350, h4350 and the heavy two with h-4831sc. Also tried rl16. Anyways the only bullet I've been a able to get to shoot was a 190 gr nosler custom competition with h4831sc. It shoots around .7 moa. It's not a hunting bullet but my wife shot her black bear and deer with it last year and it killed them both very well. Both shots were around 250 yards. Anyways its looking like I'm going to be borrowing her rifle for an up coming elk hunt I've got. I was really wanting to use a bullet I'd have more confidence. Are there any other bullets that you guys know of that I should try? Maybe something similar? Would an accubond be worth a shot? I was hoping the 180 ballistic tips would be build close to them but they didn't shoot well. All these other bullets are around 1.5-2" at 100 yards. Should I just go hunt elk with these target bullets?
I load a Barnes 168 grain boattail match grade bullet with 60 grains of Reloder 19 with CCI Bench rest primers in my Rem. 700 '30-06' and get good accuracy for elk hunting.

In my Rem. 700, '30-06' I load Barnes TSX 168 grain match grade hunting bullets with 60 grains Reloder 19 with CCI Bench rest primers. Cases are weighed so all cases weigh within 3 grains of each other after cases trimmed and flash hole inside of case is beveled.

Mr MTHEAD , how far off the L&G's did you seat the Hammer166 when you started your load development ? I have always used Barnes and they are seating depth sensitive . The Hammers are suppose to be less sensitive to seating depth but have not tried them as yet . Thanks in advance , Floyd
Started out as long as the mag would allow minus a tad for comfort (rem 700 ADL) ...I can figure the COAL if that'll help but as far as distance to L&G I'm not sure, I can check though. Steve @ Hammer gave me a few to try in the 06 to make right a a shipping expense and these 5 were as far as I've gotten into development, seems like a no brainer. My ultra mag shares similar results with 181s which was a breath of fresh air after the sensitivity of the barnes load previously developed with that rifle. My experience with hammer is by no means extensive, however from what I have seen so far I can't say enough good about them, fast, accurate, easy to work with, hard on critters, and customer service second to none make them a good solution for elk medicine in my book...I know I haven't answered your question directly. I can if you insist I just don't have it measured. These however, are far less sensitive than what you are used to, I think its realistic to have a decent load in 20 shots

I have an older Savage 110-E in 30-06 and was having the same problem. I ended up using 52gr of IMR 4064 behind 150gr Barnes TTSX bullets. Gets a little over 2830 FPS,
killed 4 elk and numerous mule deer with that load and shoots .5 moa. Barrel is 22" if it was 24" or longer might be faster. Forgot to add, .060 off the lands, Winchester Brass and CCI large rifle primers.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Superformance and 185 Berger Classic Hunters

[QUOTE="floyd kittrell, post: 1713945, member: 42792Thank you Sir , this is a new build with deep throat , does the 166 Hammer have enough integrity to shoot Elk[/QUOTE]
Yes they have done a great job on elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.