What barrel for new build?

I'm pretty partial to Brux myself, I've had two and still have the second. Both shot extremely well as have the others but I've had better accuracy with my brux. They were all in diffirent calibers tho so I guess that's not a good comparison since some calibers are just less finicky and easier to load for than others.

Nathan

after a quick search found this from krieger.
Q: Is there any advantage to a single-point cut-rifled barrel Vs other manufacturing methods?
A:We feel there are several:

• Most stress-free way to rifle a barrel.
  • Bore and groove dimensions very uniform throughout the entire length of a barrel.
  • On average the barrel lasts longer than a button rifled barrel.
This is not conjecture on our part. This is information reported to us by military armorers and by very long-time competition shooters who have used a considerable number of both button-rifled and cut-rifled barrels.

I will do some more searching and see what i come up with.
Yes I'm very familiar with Krieger's opinion and their sources. I was curious if you found some independent data that showed a cut-rifled barrel will last longer. Way to many variables for anyone to put that in writing in my opinion. Those that produce button rifled barrels have their thoughts on why a buttoned stress relieved barrel is better, more precise, etc., etc.

Shawn Carlock made me a Hart Barrel believer when he built my 223AI last fall. Shawn shot this target with a box of factory Hornady Superformance 53Vmax ammo I bought. Not bad for fireforming loads. Oh, and Shawns not to shabby as a shooter either..... :D

Attachments

• .223 group.jpg
    .223 group.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
Yes I'm very familiar with Krieger's opinion and their sources. I was curious if you found some independent data that showed a cut-rifled barrel will last longer. Way to many variables for anyone to put that in writing in my opinion. Those that produce button rifled barrels have their thoughts on why a buttoned stress relieved barrel is better, more precise, etc., etc.
IIRC Kirby Allen said something about a cut rifle barrel being harder than a button but dont quote me on that. I am trying to find it.

EDIT: found this, was right and wrong.

Posted by Kirby Allen
In my experience, a button pulled barrel will break in quicker on average then a cut rifled barrel. I can not say it is because the way the barrel was rifled but it may. It may also be that cut rifled barrels on average are much harder then button pulled barrels. The button pulled barrels have to be softer or the button simply can not be pulled through the bore with good results.

Some say the harder barrels will have longer barrel life, I have not found this to really be the case. I have found that land width and throat dimensions have much more effect on this then the steel used in the barrels.

Concerning barrel life, one also has to take into consideration barrel composition. Look at Lilja barrels. As I understood it, he uses Carpenter steel, not Crucible. His barrels, as well as Lothar Walther are a much harder steel, yet they are button rifled. What barrel would last longer, a button rifled chrome moly barrel or a stainless cut rifled barrel? What about vice versa?

I suppose there is a way to speak generally about how long a type of rifled barrel will last but that would take a duplication of shooting in the same caliber, with the same loads, and shooting in the same manner until the barrels tested are truly no longer usable, even after setting them back. Then, the testing would have to be repeated and have the same outcome. I don't know of anyone who has done that. If someone has, I'm not aware of it and have never read their results.

I baby my rifles, never letting the throats get beyond warm anyway. I don't think I'll ever find out, in my lifetime, which one lasts longer. That is, unless, I take up benchrest competition, which I am interested in.

I imagine that shooting some greatly overbore cartridges would be useful in doing such a test as it would take less time and ammo.

Ok so Lila is out now. It's between bartlien, hart or brux. Not in that order. What length should. I go with on the rum? It's going to be a bench rest rifle first an i may dabble with it hunting some

Ok so Lila is out now. It's between bartlien, hart or brux. Not in that order. What length should. I go with on the rum? It's going to be a bench rest rifle first an i may dabble with it hunting some

My 300 RUM has a 28" barrel but I tote it hunting. If I planned on shooting from a bench/table the bulk of the time, I'd likely go ahead and put a 30 on it plus a brake.

I have a Bartlein barrel on my 6.5-284 Norma. I have a few Liljas. Got a couple of Harts. I don't have a Brux, so if I were building another I would go ahead and get a Brux.

Curious, why is Lilja "out?"

Derek, I also found this, also posted by Mr. Allen

I have tested a couple ABS carbon wrapped barrels in my 338 Allen Magnum and put them through some torture tests along with two all steel barrels, one from Lilja and one from Krieger. The ABS barrels both used Rock barrel sleeves. The test was to fire five, 10 shot strings. Shooting was done by shooting 10 shots as fast as possible. Let the barrel cool to the point I could just hold my hand on the barrel, repeat with 10 more rapid fire shots and continue to repeat until 50 rounds were down the barrel.

I did this with all four barrels, two ABS, one Lilja, one Krieger. After the test all barrels were pulled, cleaned and inspected for throat erosion and heat cracking. In the end, The ABS barrels had roughly 8 thou less throat erosion(throat length) then the Lilja barrels but they were identical, within +/- 1 thou of the Krieger. Heat cracking appeared to be nearly identical in all barrels.

He also stated in a post that he uses lilja barrels 10:1 on customers rifles.

Riley

Since it sounds like you will be shooting this 300 RUM quite a bit and weight isn't your #1 concern, I would think about doing a 30-32in. tube in a contour that would allow you to have the barrel set back and re-chambered when the time comes. In theory, it should/would give you a longer usable barrel.

Also, since you are going with a fairly longish barrel I wouldn't skimp on contour. I would use at least a Sendero or larger contour. The longer you go in length the bigger the contour needs to be.

Using a Lilja 28" number 8 contour fluted 3 groove on my custom 300rum, shooting 215 hybrids and I'm very happy with the accuracy I'm getting.
Have Lilja barrels on a 338rum and 300wm both are very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.