Barrel Advice for new build

smrkovsky

Howdy Everyone,

I'm in the process of building a 338 Edge, and have decided on all parts except the barrel. Right now I'm leaning toward a 30" Hart 1-10 twist, but wanted y'alls opinions. I already have a Hart barrel, on a custom 300WM, and am very happy with its performance, but there is so many great barrel makers out there, I don't know if I should go with something else. Hart, Lilja, Broughton, Krieger, Shilen, there's so many. Do any of you have any recommendations? I'm pretty much open for anything. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
There are definitely at least 2 schools of thought here.

1) you have a Hart already and know it's capabilities, so why change? "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
2) you have a Hart already so it's time for something different to satisfy your curiousity.

I personally like a variety, and that choice has served me well as I have not bought a "bad" barrel.

Krieger will tell you that Hart is their biggest competition and that Hart makes a fine barrel, probably the best button rifled barrel available. The first words I heard from Michelle at Hart in 2002 were, "we make the best barrels in the world." So, I ordered one.

Jim Borden's #1 recommendation is Hart. His #2 recommendation is Bartlein. Mr. Borden is an excellent source of information and I strongly trust his opinion.

Personally, I would go with either Krieger, Lilja, or Broughton for this project since you already have a Hart bbl.

Just so you know, if you buy a Krieger barrel, it will be rifled by John himself, and lapped by him, if it is .338.

Yes----John does those himself! I will be getting my 416 shortly from him. Can't wait!

I have a .338 Edge Shawn Carlock put together for me. It is on a Rem 700 action with a Broughton 5C 1/10 twist stainless barrel. NO FLUTES. 30" finished length with Shawn's muzzle brake in front of that. Shawn's first 3 shot test group was .337" with a Horus Hawk 3-12-50 scope I furnished for the build. When I received the rifle I changed the scope to a Horus Falcon4-16-50.

I use Nosler's 300 RUM brass necked up to 338. After neck expansion its .020" short but has not caused a problem. Nosler brass case capacity is about 5 grains H2o less than Remingtons as the cases are about 5-7 grains heavier than a Rem. case. Load development with Nosler brass will need to be adjusted for capacity.

I moly coat my bullets and the load I use is 92.5 gr. H-1000 for 2745'/s. the group Shawn shot was no fluke. The rifle will consistently group in the 3/8" range whether at 100, 500 or 1000 yards. my best off of the Bench @ 1000 was 3.5" Almost all will be under 5". I have shot as many as 60 rds in one day and 1 session. The barrel does not foul, almost no copper and very easy to clean.

After the success with thee .338 Edge I had Shawn build another rifle. 6.5/284 Norma. 30" Fluted Stainless 5C BROUGHTON AND HIS BRAKE. It is wearing a Horus Raptor 4-16-50 scope. It is as accurate as the barrel on the Edge and cleans as easily.

That said I would highly recommend a call to Tim North @ Broughton barrels. I don't think you would be unhappy at all.

Isn't it great that we have so many great barrels to choose from!!!

I realy like the Lilja and respect him because he will take the time to talk one on one
and he meets the delivery date every time .

All of the Lilja barreled rifles I have built shoot under 1/4 moa but all of the barrels mentioned
should perform as well.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.