what are you shooting

James Jones

My compound setup is like this
Bowtech VFT Samson , 104lb draw at 30.5"
300 series Beman MAX-4 arrows at 29" , HIT incerts fletched with 4" FlexFletch vanes at right helical and eze-crest wraps.
Broad heads are 4 blade Rocket Hammerhead with the tips replaced with the bone buster from the stricknine's (121grs)
for bigger critters or where fixed blades are required I use Magnus 3 blade snuffer 125gr but will likly switch to Razorcaps this year
HHA optimizer 5019 site
Trap Door drop away rest
Custom made silicone ballist stabilizer with a Doinker added at the tip for extra weight
Custom made wrist sling

Sounds kinda kinky huh , I got one free with a set of pink fuzzy handcuffs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No realy its a company that makes stabilizers that work realy well , its a rubber chunk with a male thread that screws into your bow and a small weight on the other end , it moves 360 degs and absorbs shock realy well

104 lbs......my shoulder is aching after just reading that. I will be shooting a Mathews Drenaline 64lbs, and Bowtech Allegience...64 lbs. That is, if I can keep the drenaline in tune.

the 104lb compound is the easy one , its the 119lb long bow is the one that will get ya !!! Powerlifting and body building are my #1 hobby and I ain't the smallest fella around at 6'3" and 300 ish pounds and able to see a most of my abs in the off season , I figure that I should shoot the heaviest bow that I can draw in a hunting situation , this allows me a little bit wider ranges of angles to shoot at because of the increased KE I get alot better penitration and the arrows do a little better in the wind.
the only down fall to a realy high draw weight bow is that it kinda kills any chance of resale !!!

I'm shooting 106 lbs...if I draw twice and you add the two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Seriously, Hoyt Ultratec with spirals, 53#, 30" draw. 29" carbon fury arrows with Blazer vanes, 100 gr 3 blade Muzzy. NAP drop away rest. Arrow weight 460 gr, 249 fps. I was shooting 66 lbs and shooting 266 fps. Got the lighter limbs due to shoulder surgeries and only lost 17 fps for 13# lighter draw. Good trade. Copper John 4 pin sight with green .029" fiberoptic pins, Sims S Coil stabilizer, Alphashox. Very quiet and smokes right through a rib cage.

I also have a 52# Black Widow MAIII recurve. I hadn't been able to shoot it much over the last couple of years due to the shoulders but been playing with it again. Have shot small game with it but no deer yet, hope to remedy that this year.

Back in the late 80's, I had a High Country Sniper with specially ordered limbs that was cranked up to 125 lbs. It was very loud (sounded like a rifle shot going off). It was very hard to keep serving on the string. A caliper release at that poundage would have the serving separated after about 50 to 75 shots. Over the years I have gone through 7 bows and now currently shoot a Mathews Q2 at 70lbs. Funny thing is the energy transfer out of the mathews at 70 lbs is higher than what I used to get out of that sniper at 125 lbs. Compound archery has come a long way since those early days in the 80's.

Mathews switchback @70lbs
Easton Axis 340's
Rocky Mountain Ironheads
Trophy ridge sight (soon to be upgraded)
Trophy Ridge dropzone

IMO 70lbs is all that is required for any north american big game, regardless of shot angle. Maybe a little more for the really big bears.

Oneida AeroForce (70 lbs @ 29" draw & 80% letoff)
TM Hunter setup for fingers (w/ plunger)
Easton FMJ 300 31" with 5" RH feathers
Elk Mountain/Muzzy Phantom 125 gr. broadheads
Oneida 8 arrow quiver
Stabilizer: NONE
Release: NONE
Sights: NONE

I've got this bow in 1993 (I was 13) when they first came out and used it to win quite a few 3-D shoots for the first two years (2 state titles, 2 IBO World Invites) and was a top 3 shooter for all classes in my age bracket (including the kids with sights and releases). I killed a nice 5x5 whitetail when I was 15 with it. I didn't shoot it much after that, until this fall and now I have to start replacing parts and get new cams and cables so it fits me again, which is a Royal PIA for a finger shooter anymore. Modifications made now.

Last edited:
For nine years I had the hottest HoytUSA products that they offered (about 1991 to 2000)...being co-op has its benefits!! Super Slams', Super Star's, Defiant's, Deviator's, Alpha-Tec's, and lastly an Accu-Tec before I called it quits. Turned a hobby into a job and the sport lost its luster for me.

The constant through all those bows was A/C/C 3-28's w/ 70gr glue-ins and three inch vanes for 3D shooting. Then for hunting I bumped it up to 3-49's, same vanes, and 125gr broadhead of various manufacturer...depended on what the sponsors wanted to pimp for that year. I usually always used a Tox 3500 for indoor shooting and Hoyt's best fixed pin sight for that year to shoot 3D. Rests...always like the Star Hunter for hunting and used a plunger and fancy litle flipper thingy for comp shooting. Yep...I'm a fingershooter!

Stabilizers...usually a hydraulic of some sort. Bomar made some nice stuff, Tox made a few good ones also.

My last deer hunting set up was a Devaitor, 62#, 30" draw, 100gr Gator two blade expandable, 426gr 3-49 @ 295fps (6.8gr per #) and made 82FPE!! It went through deer like nothing!!

All that stuff got me a pile of deer and varmints along with too many trophies to mention (local, regional, PSAA and IBO state, IBO national, and IBO world)...gave them all away to local clubs that were having kids shoots.

Now I have been bitten by the bug again but shooting a stick bow this time...and the sport is fun again!!!

hoyt viper tec winners choice string 74 pounds
gold tip UL 400 rocket 3 blade costom sight quick tune 4000
rest

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.