Arrows... What are you shooting?

Bowhunter57

I'm in the market for some new arrows. In the past I've shot Carbon Express, but have had the best accuracy with AeroDynamics Nitro Stingers. I've been considering something from the Easton line, like Axis or FMJ.

You know...the saying is: "You're only as good as the arrows you shoot."

What arrows are you shooting?
Why do you like them?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I shoot VICTORY arrows. I did shoot carbon express and they were fine. I wanted more consistancy and my guy suggested these. It was about 110$ for a dozen of the straitest one they offered. My 60M groups went from being able to hit the vitals to being able to call my shots and stick all 12 in one organ on my gendel buck.

I have shot easton ACC FOR 15 + YEARS.Still a great arrow, shoot the super slims, dont think they make them any more , and the full metal jacket. They are all tough. I have shot as many as 5 animals w/ same ACC, new or sharpen broahead of course.

I have been using Carbon Express Maximum Hunter 350s shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element bow at 68lbs. I shoot 125 gr Hell Razors. I practice from 10 yards to 50 yards and if I do my part right the arrow seems to do its part right.

I shoot VICTORY arrows. I did shoot carbon express and they were fine. I wanted more consistancy and my guy suggested these. It was about 110$ for a dozen of the straitest one they offered. My 60M groups went from being able to hit the vitals to being able to call my shots and stick all 12 in one organ on my gendel buck.

I guess I should add I'm shooting 75lb draw weight Golden Eagle

After talking to a few pro shop guys, the newer generations of arrows are much like the newer generations of bows...there are a lot of good ones out there. The differences are very suttle and most of it is within the tolerences.

Arrows that have tolerences that are in the .003" to .005" will shoot good...for a while and then tend to fatigue, causing larger groups and thus less accuracy.

Arrows that have tolerences that are in the .001" to .002" will shoot good and last longer without fatigue, maintaining their accuracy.

Good info to know, before purchasing arrows...of any brand. :)
Bowhunter57

Most of the manufactured arrow shafts, except wood and old fiber glass have
.01 to .02 tolerance in straightness. As long as these arrows are shot into
a decent target, they will maintain their straightness. But ground, tree limbs,
metal of most types, rocks and other hard objects that find their way in
front of an arrow tend to disrupt the straightness significantly.

Yes, you need a straight Arrow, You also need an arrow with the correct spine.
A arrow the correct draw length to fit you and your bow. Would help if the
bow draw weight and draw lenght fit as well. Then comes the 3 Ps.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

What do I shoot? I shoot a Stalker Extreme 26 1/2" , 55/70 , standard 3 fletch, with a fixed 3 blade 75 grains broadhead, out of a 60# double cam bow
made in 2000. 65% letoff.

75gr broadhead...what do you shoot?
I practice with a 125 gr field point and shoot 125 gr NAP Hellrazors.
Besides the obvious - heavier broadhead - a little loss on arrow speed and trajectory being a little different...does 75 vs 100 vs 125 gr make that much difference. I am planning my first elk hunt for this next season and I would appreciate some feed back.

Kistrick

I have the where with all to make sure that my arrows match spine as close as possible. So with that said I build my hunting arrows to match each other, the same as I do for my competition arrows. when I switched over to compound bows, I began making my own arrows. Just like now with shooting
my new rifle. Pulled apart a couple of boxes of faxctory loads. The bullets don't come close to all being the same weight. At 100 yds it probably does not make
any great difference if those bullets hold tight groups or not. It depends on what the shooter is willing to accept as good enough. I will be making my own
match loads.

I have spent many more hours in practicing with my competition archery equipment, than I do with my hunting equipment. But because I build match arrows, I don't worry how they will fly or if they will group.

Keep them in the middle.

After talking to a few pro shop guys, the newer generations of arrows are much like the newer generations of bows...there are a lot of good ones out there. The differences are very suttle and most of it is within the tolerences.

Arrows that have tolerences that are in the .003" to .005" will shoot good...for a while and then tend to fatigue, causing larger groups and thus less accuracy.

Arrows that have tolerences that are in the .001" to .002" will shoot good and last longer without fatigue, maintaining their accuracy.

Good info to know, before purchasing arrows...of any brand. :)
Bowhunter57

Your Pro guys have it right. Like any other thing for sale. If it performs poorly
it will vanish from the market place quickly.

I perfer to buy arrow shafts one or two dozen at a time and make up my
arrows. Then I know they all match .

Sounds like you got the right formula along the way. Well that's half the problem solved. come on hunting season! the other half.

Keep them in the middle.

I have shot easton ACC FOR 15 + YEARS.Still a great arrow, shoot the super slims, dont think they make them any more , and the full metal jacket. They are all tough. I have shot as many as 5 animals w/ same ACC, new or sharpen broahead of course.

ACC's are a good arrow shafts. only draw back ( no pun intended) is once you
bend one might as well throw it away. it won't straighten. But till then shoot
em. I make up my old arrows for the kids. usually ACC's and ACE's, Some of these shafts have been with one or more of our younger archers.

carbon shafts made in the last 10 years are mostly quality made. The choice is getting better sll the time. Just buy what will fit your needs.

Remember keep them in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts