What age do you think kids should start shooting?

This thread has some age on it, but I'm glad it got revived.

North Korea starts their boys at around age three; just food for thought...

Fundamental respect for firearms has to be 1st. I used strong language and described the injuries that are possible. I started my boys around three. BB guns 1st, single shot 22's, then shotguns, and finally deer rifles.

I made some mistakes with my kids and shooting. I am not patient and I am anal about the sport I love. I sucked all the fun out of my 1st son's training. I was more of a drill sergeant than a teaching father. I hammered trigger control like a maniac. This paid off in discipline, but I lost ground in the fundamental "fun" department. My boys are great shots; neither of mine has missed a deer. They were 6 and 7 with their first deer kills.

Kids need their version of demolition ranch... Make it fun all cost. Probably the best thing I did was get reactive targets. I used to force mine to shoot groups like a goon. They hated it.. I now buy soda cans, fill milk jugs and, have swingers.

HW

Depends on the child's physical and cognitive abilities. I was 4 or 5 when my dad started teaching me how to use open sights. He set up his Mod 92 Win 20-20 using a box to hold the rifle stationary, pointed to a box across the living room He made a black round dot about 2" in diameter with a handle. I learned to yell stop when the dot was in the sight picture and he would mark the center of the dot on a white paper taped to the target box. After 3 "shots" he would draw a triangle using the 3 dots. We took turns with mom's help. I even got a smaller triangles than my dad sometimes. Later, dad coached me how to squeeze a trigger with controlled breathing, dry firing only. I got to fire live rounds at the range when I was big enough to aim dad's 22LR, laying prone with a front rest at about 6 years old. Lot's of instruction and practice before shooting live ammunition. My boys started shooting similarly, at about 7 or 8. Some of my grand children started young and others didn't care to learn until they were in their teens. The child needs interest and cognition to understand safety and have the discipline to understand and conform to the rules.
I used to instruct the kids in safety and marksmanship. I used to take a partial milk jug fil it the the rest of the way with water. Set it out 10 yds. and shot it with a fast, rapid expansion bullet. It made 1 heck of a cloud and got their attention. If not then they had to go so that they wouldn't be a disruption. Harsh but necessary.

Started my boy at about 5yr of age. Took then hunting before that. passed there saftey course at 11 and been hunting from that time going forward. Also going in and out of the back country. At 13 they started to learn to drive and in 4 wheel drive country. They learn where there tires are at, and how to place the 4 x 4 in the right place.
I was a scout master for several years and acted a instructor for rifle and shotgun merit badges. I would set up a range, and ran it like in the Army for control. Never had a problem.

My son is 9 and he likes to shoot but not as much as I do haha. We got him his 22 when he turned 8 and BB gun at 6. I don't push him and he rarely wants to go. He will be able to hunt in 2024 but he's got a ton to learn before that so hopefully he decides to participate so. I've let him know that he doesn't have to shoot or hunt but that I'd love for him to but that I'll support his decision either way. He did go on a deer hunt with me this past fall and enjoyed it. It was a backpack overnight hunt in a tipi with myself and my stepdad. Unfortunately the deer numbers were down in the area and we didn't get much action that trip but he still enjoyed it. Gotta nurture them but they're their own person haha.

My 2 girls started shooting at 5 & 6 respectively. My older one San outshoot her country husband and my other one set a new rifle score for her high-school rifle team. It was shot military discipline, standing, kneeling and prone. Possible 300 score, she got 287 if I remember correctly. That was the late 80's to the early 90's. I still plann on framing the targets. Good framing is expensive.
Well..at least you've had 30-35 years to save...must be a Heck of a Frame!😂🤣

Without reading through all the comments, I apologize if I cover something already said. I feel quite qualified to comment on this subject. Having raised 5 children of my own and trained 100s of people of all ages to shoot safely, I'm here to tell you that there is no definitive answer to that question. They are ready when you think they are ready. Safe gun handling starts years before the first shot is ever fired. Kids need to learn respect before all else. My oldest daughter started shooting at 9 and my sons started at 4 & 6. Youngest daughter at 5 and to my knowledge my middle daughter (30 years old) has still never fired a gun. (I bought her an AR-15 for xmas this year and when the snow melts that is all about to change.)
As for other peoples children, i wouldn't start bringing them along until at least 10 years old as long as they displayed enough maturity to take the situation seriously. That is very hard to find these days. I never wasted time shooting watermelons or pumpkins to demonstrate devastation to children. Just single shots and bolt actions single loaded for several outings before seeing a repeater. Make sure the gun fits is important. Having fun teaching my grandchildren now. Good luck!

Last edited:
My son is only 3months old but I find myself day dreaming of the days he will start shooting with me. I don't want to start any kind of moral debate here. I'd probably start him with a pellet gun and then move on to 22lr. Of course he would learn all about proper gun safety and such. Just curious what you all think is an appropriate age?
BB gun first.

Age of the kid is on the trainer. I have started quite a few young boys under the age of 5 with 22LR.
Need rules, boundaries, their full attention, etc... It is on us to keep it safe, we can preach all day long to them, still falls back on us.
So for me, I find younger kids easy, they want to be like their Dads, or me, engage in the same activities and so on. Elevate the hype, every minute needs to be fun while also learning. The minute a red flag pops up, give them praise and shut it down with a promise to do it again real soon, and follow up on that, kids do not forget promises made. I respect all decisions on this matter, but also know what has worked here.
Lol, 4-5 yr olds get distracted by treats, snacks and sodas. 8-9 yr olds have a plan you don't know about and are about to find out.

This was one of my most memorable days shooting, 4 & 6 yrs old, 2 adults running herd.
I should elaborate more on this pic, first time shooting, we chose a scope for him, age 4(right), not only did he want to please his Dad and I, but he wanted to emulate his big brother. Not wise to take 2 young ones at the same time, but the little guy moved that rear bag around like a veteran that day, I was in heaven knowing now I had 2 shooting buddies. He did everything right, next outing alone, he forgot it all, lol, and took a couple outings to refresh him, in the span of 2 weeks. Christmas of the yr he turned 5, that model 52B reproduction rifle became his.
boys1.jpg

Last edited:
I see it mentioned time and time again in this thread - but it's when you think they are ready.

Do they have the mental acuity to comprehend what they're doing, the safety needs of the exercise, and the result of what happens when they pull the trigger? Are you able to invest in the proper sized firearm to get them started, and the proper sized PPE? If you can meet those needs, and the kids are wanting to engage - then by all means, get them started!

I started at about age 4, and I started my kids at around age 5. They're both competent with firearm safety, and were very accurate with their .22s and .410s