what about a 6mm wsm

summitsitter

Any body got any expereince with one of these. What are pro's and con's. I'll mainly be using it for target, coyotes, and deer. How hard is the brass to form. Would I be better off with a 7mm wsm. Thanks

That is a lot of powder behind a little bullet. A couple cons would be barrel wear, and to get the most out of it you would need a long barrel. If a close shot presents itself then most bullets will not stay together good enough and even a decent shot placement may not end up being lethal. I shot an antelope once with a ballistic tip impacting at about 3800fps. Witnesses saw the impact and it looked good. The antelope instantly dropped, but then got back up and ran for as far as we could watch him(about 2 miles). The blood trail didn't last for 50 yards.

The pro, of course, would be really flat trajectory.

As you could probably guess... of the two you mentioned I would go with the 7 wsm. All around a really great performer on a wide range of game.

The main question is how far do you want to be able to shoot a deer. Something in the 6mm caliber probably would be a good option for you.

Hope this helps

Why not a 6BR or dasher? the nice thing about the BR is Lapua brass ready to go. Tons of reloading info, and one accurate little cartridge.

Just my .02.

Wiilys

I am going to pick up my 6.5 WSM this weekend and will most likely do a 6mm WSM in the near term which will be my LR Varmit rifle.

one of the problems with a 6 wsm is that once you find the load you will like and sight in your rifle, you will only have a few hundred rounds left in your barrel.

one of the problems with a 6 wsm is that once you find the load you will like and sight in your rifle, you will only have a few hundred rounds left in your barrel.

How do you figure that????? I shoot some very ugly over bores and most of the time people think they are "shot out" when they are just polluted to death. The bore scope never lies..

Also software will help quite a bit on what load to start with.

Cool boss hoss, I have been wanting to make one for several years just while I was in college I couldn't afford a barrel burner then. I have been thinking one with a 30 inch tube you could really smack the long bc bullets out there.

Post pics of the finished rounds and the rifle, i would love to see them.

I have been around the 243 cal a lot the biggest I would play with is the Ackley. I have seen the 6-284 shoot out in 150 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.