What about a .270 for long range hunting/target?

jinxed247

Hello. I was just wondering what ya'll though about the .270 as a long range hunting/target gun. I have seen posts on the .260 and other rounds but I am curious as to why the .270 is left out? Any help/info would be appreciated.
-John

John, I am one of the biggest 260 fans, but I also own a 270 Sendero. My 270 shoots very good and should make a very capable long range deer rifle. Of the 10 deer/antelope I shot with my 260AI in the last 3 years, all could have been killed with the 270. (75-609 yards)

I use the 260AI just because I have a huge amount of confidence with that particular gun. Of the 10 animals none needed a second bullet.

I guess I could take out the 270, but why break the string?

I have nothing but success with the .270. I also have not needed a second shot with the round and i even took a woodchuck at 512 yards with it. I was just wondering why nobody seems to want to build a rig around the round and was wondering why? Is it because of the lack of numerous bullet wieghts?

270 caliber

My son and I are getting rifles built now. His is a 270 Win and mine is a 260 Rem. Looks like we prefer the same calibers as you folks. I also have two 270 Win rifles.

Don't worry there will be a lot more shooting them now since berger has came out with the 130,140 & 150 gr VLD. I shot one for years and loved it but drop it for long range due to bullet selection. I thinking i might have to get me another one now.

I am glad to hear that! I love the .270 and I am glad that it will finally getting a place in the long range bag of tricks. Thanks for the info.

I have had a 270 WSM set up for long range for about a year and a half and it shoots great. I shoot a140 grain acubond at 3260 fps. I shot a whitetail last fall at 696 yds, my wife shot a 336 inch bull elk this year at 410 yds,and I shot a mule deer at 656 yds this year all were one shot kills and put them dead in there tracks. I like it a lot better than my 300 rum

There is a little number called the 270 Allen Magnum that will smoke pretty much anything else out there at long range in this caliber class but its a pretty extreme round. Easy to load for but you do need to form cases.

That said, 3300-3400 fps with a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT is what makes it special.

Just an idea.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a 270 wby and love this caliber I took a antlope at 556yards a few years ago.

I shot the 270 Win for more years than most folks here have been alive, and that's probably not a good thing.;)

W/a 27" Lilja #4 on a Mauser action, she is good for whatever you want to shoot. I've shot it to 800 yds w/success. Pushing a 140gr SPBT Interlock at 3200.

The rifle was passed down to my son. I've move up to a 270 AM. He takes the short shots, under 500 and I go beyond that with the AM. Yeah, right! In our dreams! Which ever of us gets the shot takes it.;)

With WC ULD RBBT bullets and the new Bergers there will be a good selection of bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.