Still thinking about a long range rifle

Agunner012

Hi

Anyone using a 30/338 Lapua? How does it stack up to a .300 RUM, or .300 RUM improved (think they call it a Tomahawk)? I realize the Lapua brass is more $$. Looking for pro's and con's.

Thanks
Andrew

Agunner. Brent is using a .30-338 Lapua Imp you should get a hold of him. Yes the Lapua brass is more expensive, but much higher quality so I think its worth it when your can reload that peice of brass 15 times more or less depending on your pressure. You can get a hold of Darryl Cassel as he has a Tomahawk.

Thanks Nighthawk,

I did communicate a while back with Brent, and he was very informative, and extremely helpful. I was looking for other opinions and possibly a side by side comparison..

Andrew
BTW- your comment about the brass is a good point.

Not a problem. You could also look at something called the .30 Wolf. It uses the .338 Lapua case, but is highly improved. The guy who "invented" it got a deer at 2600 yards. I belive SLT has one of these.

Pros: Brass is tough and long-lasting. Velocity is faster than the RUM. Quality and accuracy of custom system.

Cons: Neckdown and fireforming required. Cost of custom system.

Nighthawk,
You mentioned the "30 Wolf" were do I get info on this cartridge ?

I'm planning on a .30 cal custom rig for LR
hunting. Problem is, I want the fastest, flattest .30 there is. Maybe this is the one I've been searching for!

STL,
the works you described are not a problem, I do all that for my .300 RUM Improved, have to neck turn, fireform and use custom Neil Jones push dies. Just wondering if you can post data with 180 grn and 200 grn bullets.

Any info would be awesome..

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: proman1 ]

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: proman1 ]

Hi Proman1,

I am having a .30 Wolf built right now, and should have it shortly. S1 from A.R. Tactical is building it for me. I had a 6.5 WSM built from him as well and the machine work is awesome!!!!!!!!! He is very detail oriented and does the job right.

STL has a .30 Wolf and has posted awesome results with it!

S1 can be reached at: [email protected] Drop him an email

Frank D

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

I have lots of experience with only two bullets. From a 32" 3-groove Lilja...

95.5g RL-25 pushing 178 AMax at 3450 fps.

98.3g Retumbo pushing 210 JLK at 3300 fps.

Both loads regularly shoot 1/3 MOA for me in perfect wind and target lighting conditions at 600 yards.

agunner012:
I am having a 30/338 lapua built right now. The smith that is building it is really high on the 30/338. I am using a Weatherby mark V acton. The Remmington 300 ultra he built for me gets sub .25 groups and he is taklking about this one being just as accurate but with better range. I will say that yes you have a bit of a problem in that you need to fireform the brass etc as nighthawk says. Hope this helps

I have seen and even shot Brent's 30-338 LM improved. If the smith I use would have agreed to build my rifle with that case I would have gone with that one over the 300 RUM. I rather would have went with the smith I wanted to do the work than just have a 30-338 LM. I will however smoke my 300 RUM!! Lapua brass is the way to go. You can run the preassure up and not stress the brass as much as other brass as well as the quality is much better. Its worth it.

Proman, there are three things that you can do to find info on the .30 Wolf. You can ask SLT as he has one or more rifles of than round, do a search on the .30 Wolf. You should find a topic on it thats about 9 pages long, and you could get in contact with Sam (S1) his e-mail is

[email protected].

Yowza!!, thanks for all the help guys,
I just got done reading the 9 pages on the Wolf, very , very interesting...

Hope that shoot went as planned, must'a been fun!!

Michael, I hear ya on the "smith" thang!!
I too wanted to build a 30 on the Lapua case, but got stuck with a .300 Rum Imp. 'cause of the smith pushing that way.

Interesting to note that the velocities are quite similar to what I get from my Sako Warbird with a factory 26" bbl. 180 Accubonds @ 3520 fps .(106 grns. RL 25),
Just recently I've fired some decent groups @ 100 yards during load development..
Smallest to largest-- .420", .432" .469", .502", .592.

Now I know accuracywise the Warbird is nowhere near the class of the Wolf and brass is crap when compared to the Lapua stuff. Getting kinda tired of paying for Lazzeroni's "cheap brass" only to toss after a few firings..

I kinda assumed that with the longer bbl and quality of brass the Wolf would be able to push 180's (200's?) @ 3600- 3700 fps..

Am I crazy or is it possible??

Also how do you guys feel about using a Sako action (my Warbird) and a 30" Hart heavy bbl to build either the 30-338 Lapua, 30 Yogi or the 30 Wolf, I can't decide which one, or should I just chamber the Hart bbl in the Warbird, the velocity is there, and with fair accuracy.

Hi Proman1

Sounds like the Warbird is a good shooter. Why not just buy another action and start fresh?
rolleyes.gif

Adding another rifle is a good thing!!! .30 Yogi sounds interesting, I will have to search that one.

Andrew

Proman1, who is your smith??

I am not that familair with the 30 wolf, but as far as the 308 WARBIRD or 30-338 LM Improved, it is possible to attain 2600+ FPS from a 180. I think 200's would take a 32-33" barrel and the slowest possible twist for your particular bullet. A 30-378, 30-338 LM Improved and the 308 WARBIRD are all capable of 3600 FPS with a 180 WITH the right barrel, say 28 inches with a 12 twist.

I have played with the lazzeroni's, the big weatherby's and I would personaly rather go with the 30-338 LM Improved or not improved. Either would make me happy. I know a smith in anchorage that has a good reamer for the 30-338 LM Improved but he WILL NOT build you one on a 700 action. He will build it on a weatherby mark V, the Sako, or various custom actions.

I just got done developing a load for a guy that just got a 8.59 TITAN. It is interesting to see that your load development results are very similar to mine. Some of the best all around loads I found with his were 104-107 grains of RL-25 with the 225 ACCUBOND.

[ 06-10-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.