6.5 wsm Tell me about it.

ol mike

I did a search and found everything except 6.5 wsm.

What do you guys think about the idea of a 6.5 wsm for a longrange varmint caliber?
I'm going to start rounding up components for a 7-800yd coyote/chuck gun and like the wsm idea.
Is it [6.5] considered overbore would i be better off staying w/the 270 or 7mm ?
Thanks for any opinions, Mike

You might want to talk to Chris Matthews Longshot Rifles. He shoots one for 1K BR. For 7-800 yard a 6.5-284 or 6.5 WSSM would put a little less hurtin on the barrel.

yes it is considered overbore, chris gave me starting loads of 60-63 grains retumbo for velocitys @ 3000. you can almost get these with a 6.5-284 depending on barrel length. i have not tested mine yet, waiting on the stock. I a looking for @ 3200 fps. tim @ broughton told me to stay @ 3000 fps for the most accuracy, i hope i can find a node at a higher velocity. I will keep you informed

d-a

I dont know. on shortmags.org there are these two guys cat and badger who have shot them alot. they might have an answer for you. I do know it has more powder capacity than the 6.5-284.

d-a

Thought I would throw in my experience here.....
I am currently shooting the 6.5 WSM in 1000 yard BR.
My wife won Iowa State championships with it last year (2005) and took top female shooter of the year with it.
I am getting 3150 fps over 64 gr H1000 with a Cauterucio 141 gr VLD.
Barrel life will be shorter than a 6.5-284 as I am burning more powder and going faster....but has yet to be sen as what it will be...have 500 down it now and the throat still looks new.
Building several for hunting/ varmint rifles, but fot competition most stay with the 6.5-284. Would work great for your intended purpose.

I used Cat's reamer and built a 6.5 wsm on a Ruger #1 action.I went with a gain twist barrel and a 3.2" throat.I have put three pounds of powder through it so far and accuracy is excellent at 100yds.Best load for me so far is 66g of Retumbo and 140gr match kings and Wildcat 140 flat base bonded.For hunting 130TSX and 63gr H1000 are remarkable
with velof about 3100.Cat has a range on the Athabaska River nearFt Mcmurray and has shot a sub 1 minute group at 1300 yds.I would suggest a twist of 1:8..Good luck

Thanks for the info guys ,i have been reading at shortmags.org .

I have a 25-06 and am up in the air w/the 6.5 ,the 270wsm [.277] doesn't have quite the variety of bullets as the 26 and 28 caliber bullets.My 25-06 is a sporterweight barrel and will remain that,i want a heavy barrel longrange gun.So i'm trying to decide on several things such as factory action vs. custom action etc. Mike

Can someone direct me to some info on the 270/7mm WSM.

Over at shortmag.org they really love the 270wsm.Many of them get great accuracy from it w/the 140 accubond and many other bullets for that matter.
The A-Max was one of the bullets i really wanted to give a whirl ,one of the regular posters showed some groups on a gong w/the 7mm wsm 162gr a-max.That post got my wheels turning on the wsm.
Anyway from the reading i've did at -shortmag the 6.5 seems to be a great cartridge.It appears that neck turning the brass is important ,maybe thats more bench rest oriented opinions i'm not sure.
I've been handloading for about one year and have learned alot so maybe i'll stick w/a more conventional cartridge as my learning curve goes up.
As the bullets get heavier so does the recoil so the 270wsm might be for me because like i stated it will be for coyotes/chucks at longrange.
If i want to shoot a heavier bullet there are wildcats,tsx,partitions that would be good for up to elk size game animals.
I am looking at a savage fvss heavy barreled rifle in 270 wsm,i've read a lot of good things about the savages and they are american made.
I have been a remington shooter since the 70's but i'm thinking i'll give the fvss a whirl.I have really got into tinkering w/my own guns of late and there is no better platform than the savage.
Your opinions have helped me to pretty much decide so i'll post what i get when i get it.
I remember someone built a 270AM on a savage action i think,so i figure it must be 'pretty good' anyway.
I looked at the money and time involved in a custom and can't swing it right now.
Well thanks again Mike

when you resize a 270wsm to 6.5 the neck of the case gets thicker and a seated bullet is liable to be too tight in the chamber.If you decide to go with a 6.5 have your smith open the chamber to accept the thicker neck.As this is a Wildcat caliber you will have to tell the smith what OAL you neec.Shawn may answer that question for you.

The OAL of a 6.5 WSM can vary widely.....but honestly I would suggest the 7 WSM over the 270....by far better selection of bullets and better performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.