Its about time

G

Well I have been reading these posts for a long time. I slobber on the screen with some of the guns I see on this site. I have been shooting long range longer than some of you have been alive but with the equipment I was using I had to keep it under 700 yds as I was using mostly factory guns with varmint barrels and the newest one was 20 years old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Mostly Ruger 77 Varmints and Remington 700's.
Today that changed. I bought two custom built rifles whith less than 50 rnds each thru them. Gun smith says it appears to be a lot less.
#1 is a Rem 700 SS BDL action .300 RUM
Hart Barrel SS fluted 26" #5 contour.
Blueprinted, squared, honed bolt and action with nothing
spared in building it.
Sako extractor.
Timney Trigger.
McMillan Sako style stock.
Win mod 70 style floor plate.
Badger 20 MOA bases with 1" rings
The other rifle is completly identical right down to the rings and bases except its a .25-06AI with a .262 neck.
Both from what I can tell are tight chambers although my gunsmith says the.300RUM appears to have been chambered for standard cases for hunting. I already have Redding dies for it and am ready to get a load ready for it as soon as I can afford to get scopes on these rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
The .25-06AI is a whole differant matter. Never reloaded for a gun with a tight chamber before. So this is going to be something new. Most of what I have shot in the past has been .25-06Rem and .308Win. Didn't pay much attention to the case except to see that it was correct with OAL and concentricity.
Biggest question I have for now is how much of a pain is it to figure out what bushing I will need in my Redding bushing die for this .262 neck. Looks like I got a ways to go when it comes to reloading for this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Welcome Bill

There are several of us who are somewhat older than the hog killing grandson of Mike/Tx. Although I am not sure any of us can outshoot him.

Hi Get 2 Bushings one measure your loaded cases and subtract 2 thou and 3 thou say your necks are .280 .278 and the other .277 use the .278 until the projectiles start to loosen in the cases then use the smaller bushing. Remember you will likely have to neck turn for the 25-06

I just cant see how you could have a 262 neck on a case with a .257 projectile in it?

Are you sure it is not .282????

I would turn the cases so a loaded round measures .280 so you have 1 thou clearence all around a loaded case.

Please have your chamber measured or re check the chamber neck clearence so i can adjust the dimentions to correctly fit your chamber

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thats the other problem I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif If I can reach it I can't see it. Need to get glasses one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Its .282

Hi, BillR

I see from your member number you have been around here a lot longer than I have been.

You should be welcoming bb instead of the other way around. He's just a newby like me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like you really stepped up to the plate with those two rifles. Better get some good glass (on the rifles, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I'm just into serious neck turnning also. Have in the past shot several 40Xs and a Hart sleeved/barreled 222 that none were chambers like in my AM. Its kind of neat once thing are all set up.

Now I need to upgrade the range finder to one that will range as far as the rifle will shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi Bill

I thought it would be .282" so turn your cases to have a loaded round measuring .280 and use neck bushings .278 and .277 when the cases are not holding the projectiles tight any more probably after about 5 shots.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Well my registration # should tell you how long I have been slobering on my monitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Thanks for the advise and the welcome guys.
And Yes my next project is "Glass" I have a couple that I'm going to try for a while and see what happens and what the repeatability is on them. Pretty low end compaired to the Night Force scopes but money and just getting the guns shooting is the main thing for this year. Maybe santa will be good to me this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.